Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGuinness looks legitimately 3+ years away from having an AFL body. Pretty tough considering he's 20 next year. Tassie really hasn't had a strong player development culture for the last decade or so though. So hopefully it's a case of him being underappreciated and neglected as a footy talent with regards to making sure his diet is right and he isn't buggered from a genetic position to put on size.

Going to be really important he doesn't get any injuries in his first year with us. Can't afford to have any time outside of the gym or track.
As a Tasmanian I nearly took offense to this post.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Atley & Cunners look to have beefed up in the shoulders/upper arms.
Jed was good. Got plenty of ball.
KT was sharp up forward.
Mason training with the defenders. Looks comfortable.
Tommy Campbell has a serious one wood. He could still turn out to play a lot of AFL footy.
Young Perez doing rehab & still building his fitness base. Will take a while.
Hall looking in good shape. Still rehabbing.

All in all, very sharp and intense with full player commitment. Excellent to see at this time of year.
Turner and Dumont were in everything. Really buzzing around.

What caught my attention was, what seemed to me anyway, the intent on kicking the goal during a drill. Goal kicking had always seemed haphazard at training.

I'd really love to see LDU tear s**t up at training. He's all class, but seems to defer to senior players a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I did, a lot of full ground drills.
What's noticable is the amount of height we now have on the list with the addition of Comben and Walker. Also there seems to be more intensity in the drills than previous years. Shaw was dirty on a few skill errors as were other players.
Cunners looks to have dropped a few Kg's.
Mason Wood's ball use coming off half back and through the middle really stood out.
Hall just running laps

Jacobs just watching on.

There was only about 5 people there and 3 were BFites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd really love to see LDU tear s**t up at training. He's all class, but seems to defer to senior players a bit.
For all the naysayers and pumper-uppers on either side of the LDU fence, I’m convinced this is his basic issue. Scamper’s job with him isn’t so much on skills or fitness or game plan, but believing in himself.

Physically yes.

You're going to argue this bullshit point forever aren't you?

Bailey Scott was physically ready enough to get a Rising Star nom in his first game.

Despite his "AFR ready physique" Bonar has got one of them in any of his games.

Maybe, just maybe, the build isn't everything.

Turner and Dumont were in everything. Really buzzing around.

What caught my attention was, what seemed to me anyway, the intent on kicking the goal during a drill. Goal kicking had always seemed haphazard at training.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah Boomer is responsible for this. It is great to see too. One of those things where if we can get an edge on the rest of the comp tghe benefits could be massive.

If we're five per cent more accurate in front of goals than the next best team, it means the difference between not playing finals, top four, home finals etc.

For all the naysayers and pumper-uppers on either side of the LDU fence, I’m convinced this is his basic issue. Scamper’s job with him isn’t so much on skills or fitness or game plan, but believing in himself.
People forget he's only 20. Not everyone matures at the same time and a male brain doesn't fully mature until 25. He'll come good, with the guidance from Scamper you suggest.

.................oh..........................and Tarryn Thomas is going to be an absolute freak.

Did one or two things in the training drills that made my jaw drop.

How anyone can collect the ball at ground level then instantly kick a screw goal from 40 meters out & 5 meters inside the boundary, with their torso still in the horizontal position, has got me completely and utterly ****ed!!!!

Human biomechanics would suggest that it's impossible.................but he did it.

How good do you reckon TT can become, Snake? Do you think he can equal/outdo Harvey, Grant & Wells, ultimately?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Atley & Cunners look to have beefed up in the shoulders/upper arms.
Jed was good. Got plenty of ball.
KT was sharp up forward.
Mason training with the defenders. Looks comfortable.
Tommy Campbell has a serious one wood. He could still turn out to play a lot of AFL footy.
Young Perez doing rehab & still building his fitness base. Will take a while.
Hall looking in good shape. Still rehabbing.

All in all, very sharp and intense with full player commitment. Excellent to see at this time of year.

How did wood go with his defensive duties - one on one and reading the play

Last edited:
Too early to tell, but on raw talent there's no limit.

Out of interest I checked his first year stats. Both TT & DW had almost identical first seasons. Both averaged exactly 12 disposals. TT hit the scoreboard more and played two extra games. Daniel was nine months younger. Not sure whether it’s a fair comparison. However, Wells is the only other player I can think of who possessed similar silky skills.

Out of interest I checked his first year stats. Both TT & DW had almost identical first seasons. Both averaged exactly 12 disposals. TT hit the scoreboard more and played two extra games. Daniel was nine months younger. Not sure whether it’s a fair comparison. However, Wells is the only other player I can think of who possessed similar silky skills.

I think he'll be better than Wells. Different type of player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll bet TT has more tackles.

Tarryn is going to end a very different player to Wells.

Bontempelli/Martin type.

Daniel was poetry to watch when going. Secondly only to Keithy when it comes to graceful North players I’ve seen.

Tarryn has the potential to be a 6ft 3 midfield beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel was poetry to watch when going. Secondly only to Keithy when it comes to graceful North players I’ve seen.

Tarryn has the potential to be a 6ft 3 midfield beast.

Last edited:
People forget he's only 20. Not everyone matures at the same time and a male brain doesn't fully mature until 25. He'll come good, with the guidance from Scamper you suggest.
It’ll all come together for him when he can start to push off players.
At the moment he’s trying to pirouette past rather then his natural game of going thru heavy traffic.

Okay, IMO, if Tarryn reaches his full potential, then I don't see him being a Greig, Abraham, Wells silky type of player.

He'll be highly efficient & effective, but not particularly graceful. At the very upper level, think Malcolm Blight or Wayne Carey.

I honestly believe he has the platform to be the best North player since Carey. Getting there is another thing.

I think he'll be better than Wells. Different type of player.

Agreed - different players, so take that into account when I say this: when he was on and 100% right (which granted was not as often as we'd all like), for his position, Wellsy was the most damaging and graceful player I've seen in full flight.

I remember being at a game years ago, sitting in the pocket - he was running down the wing towards us, being chased by a player who was not slow. He looked like he was going for a casual jog, gliding over the turf. As he approached 50m, he kicked this low bullet pass across his body (pretty much at 90 degrees) and hit one of our forwards - who I guarantee almost none of the crowd would've picked out as an option - lace...out.

I can't think of another player, moving at that speed, who could pull that off. It was one of the best pieces of pure football skill I've seen.

I honestly can't wait to see what TT will be able to do in the next decade :p #excited

Okay, IMO, if Tarryn reaches his full potential, then I don't see him being a Greig, Abraham, Wells silky type of player.

He'll be highly efficient & effective, but not particularly graceful. At the very upper level, think Malcolm Blight or Wayne Carey.

I honestly believe he has the platform to be the best North player since Carey. Getting there is another thing.
The only thing I see linking him to Wells is that he may not always be the highest possession winner (which may change in the near future anyway).

The rest, I see an alternative version of Shaun Burgyone.

The only thing I see linking him to Wells is that he may not always be the highest possession winner (which may change in the near future anyway).

The Burgoyne comparisons come from Tarryn's ability to quickly sum up and execute getting the ball to players in space, and I agree with it.

However, I reckon Tarryn is more than that.

I agree with the Burgoyne comparison, the port version anyway.
the hawks put him behind the ball to prolong his career and it probably won them a couple of flags in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back