Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:
Have to be honest... I saw the alert that you had quoted me, and I sighed... But this was a good post!

I have a problem of judging people on experience, and then viewing their posts through that lense.
To me, I saw it as a "gotcha" kind of thing.

I took your messages to mean that unless you accept everyone into a women's league, you are discriminating. Ignoring just how complex this issue is. And how most sports and the Olympics already have restrictions on entry for things like drug cheating, medically raising testosterone levels, that kind of thing.
And that it's hard enough to have society accept transsexuals in female only sports, that having no restrictions would just create huge outrage.

It didn't occur to me that other people hadn't already thought these things, so rather than engage in a discussion, or trying to explain my thoughts... I ignored you and put it down to disingenuous trolling.

Kirsti has pointed out a few times, that trans athletes have been a thing for a while. And that with the previous conditions, there had been no major problems. But she is concerned that with the changes in certain areas, problems could arise. This would not be good for transsexual athletes, because if they suddenly started winning everything, their accomplishments would be tarnished and our society would be outraged.

It is a difficult issue... I could claim tomorrow that I am a woman, and anyone who laughed at me or claimed it a lie, could be considered transphobic.

The problem lies in knowing someone's true intent.
Was less of a gotcha moment and more of me saying I don't consider myself (and don't think I should be) a bigot because I believe that with the current research, trans women shouldn't compete with women. As I said, if research said there is no advantage after x occurs then I'm all for it, but without the research it's a risk.

My main concerns are with bone and joint structures, and that's not from a background of no knowledge, it's an area of interest due to my work/passion.

Reading your post has given me perception that I didn't have. I obnoxiously didn't think that people wouldn't have thought of those things already. Transsexualism has been a thing for a long time, so I've had time to think those thoughts, and assumed that most other people had as well. I didn't think of it as deep, I thought of it as surface level thinking, to create a gotcha situation.
I think I look for agendas too much.

Again, I'll say that I don't think Gough's post was fair.
But, I think (like the difference between being a female, and competing as a female), there is a difference between someone voicing their prejudice... and someone deliberately giving out false information, to generate hate and fear.
I've just never been around any trans people before. I did one gender subject at Uni, but we covered homosexuality, Islam, feminism and that was about it. There was one person (guy?) in the class that wore dresses, but retained hairy legs and I don't really know if he was transgender or a non-binary or something?

I'm only just starting to understand how complex and convoluted the topic really is.

I could pick out some choice hateful insults from amongst the deleted posts if you like. Kirsti could point out many more.
Please do.
Appa your dismissive and insulting contribution is not needed other than to further highlight the ignorance that abounds in society.
Instead of using broad statements like this could you instead target the specific statement that is ignorant and challenge me on why it is ignorant. I'm sorry if my posts offend it is not my intent. I try not to be dismissive, if you could show me where i have been I would like to readdress it properly.
You should peruse Facebook some time. Or even just this thread.
I have been reading this thread and have seen no hate. You may have friends on facebook that hate the trans community. I do not. You may go looking for hate on facebook. I do not. I find it hard to believe that you see lots of hate at the trans community on your facebook feed. I have not met or known anyone to hate trans-gendered people just for being trans-gendered. I'm not saying they don't exist, it is just an extreme minority.
Your claim seems to ignore the entirety of human experience.
Clarify by what you mean by this please. I can agree that children and teenagers can find it difficult to be themselves and can be easily influenced to pretend to be something different just to fit in. However, adults that feel similarly need to work through their issues because it is not something that should happen in adulthood. I have never in my adult life ever felt the need to not be myself. It does not even cross my mind and i feel horrible for anyone that feels they can not be themselves.
No she doesn't.
It is overstating to say she does it to every differing argument. Kirsti most definitely does have some good posts that don't accuse others of be.

DemonTim Appa ABSOLUTE MADMAN herculez09
Are you guys prepared to lay naked your life in the manner that Kirsti has, and then let others take pot shots at it? Between this, and her AMA on the main board she's shown patience in explaining this issues, and will certainly have changed how some people see the issues surrounding trans people in general, and trans people in sport.
It has become nearly pointless to respond to you as every time you are challenged you don't respond. I don't understand why you have tagged a select few users in this posts and implied they have taken pot shots at Kirsti but that is the mystery of Gough.

Shunned by family, community, subject to violence, and now people like you who are seemingly concerned about what gays in the past faced are perpetuating it against another minority.
I'm still waiting for you to tell me how I have perpetuated the idea that the trans community should be shunned by their family, community and subjected to violence.
CM86 and Kirsti liked this post too. So if they want to respond on Goughs behalf i will appreciate it. I could be waiting forever for Gough to show some credibility and respond.

Oh snap! Got me good :)
Actually, to be fair, I'm not altogether sure you are wrong. I agonised over this and (literallly) lost some sleep as a consequence. Pathetic, isn't it?

Websters and Dictionary.com agree with you, that there is such a word. It could also be said that you used it in its proper context, according to those references. On the other hand, my preferred dictionary online, Oxford, doesn't give it a guernsey, as far as I can tell. Bewilderingly, my 1965 edition of The Oxford Universal Dictionary includes minutia.

The outcome of this brouhaha would seem to be: play on. Mini Apologias.

Actually, to be fair, I'm not altogether sure you are wrong. I agonised over this and (literallly) lost some sleep as a consequence. Pathetic, isn't it?

Websters and Dictionary.com agree with you, that there is such a word. It could also be said that you used it in its proper context, according to those references. On the other hand, my preferred dictionary online, Oxford, doesn't give it a guernsey, as far as I can tell. Bewilderingly, my 1965 edition of The Oxford Universal Dictionary includes minutia.

you are the classiest internet spelling nazi I have seen

And I forgot to mention I have three biological female soccer teams fighting over mine and my beautiful biological female partners signatures to play soccer this year,.did I mention as well as a crack centre half forward in AFL I am also a great soccer goalkeeper in the Biological Women's Soccer A Grade Competition in Broken Hill, so yeah I have spoken to other biological women about me playing sport so much so they are fighting over me to play with them in their biological women's teams.

You forgot to mention your reward for modesty :thumbsu:;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and I'm climbing the walls wondering what Chief has in his/her bag of tricks to sell us all and make everyone choose one thing over another.

No actually I am not climbing any walls but it makes me sentimental for the old times where people didn't have to be so questioning about things.

chatting always makes me nervous when I carry on a bit without comprehending neverland.

Quit the ad hominem.
When moderators call posters who disagree with them "homophobes" in this thread with zero evidence that many of the posters that slur was directed at are in fact homophobic..

It then becomes hard to take these types of requests seriously when someone meant to enforce the rules cannot follow them.

Apologies and I happily stand corrected if it was a joke. But "purse lipped?" What's the go with your hostility? You're free to oppose what you oppose, but hostility gets you nowhere fast.

Apology accepted. We lose a little detail when limited to the written word, which is why added a couple of emoticons to hint at it being a joke. Kristi "liked" it so I was satisfied with that.

Take care.

Actually, to be fair, I'm not altogether sure you are wrong. I agonized over this and (literallly) lost some sleep as a consequence. Pathetic, isn't it?

You said it.

Pedantry on tap.

My main concerns are with bone and joint structures, and that's not from a background of no knowledge, it's an area of interest due to my work/passion.

In regards to sport, do you think the bigger issue is with trans male to female athletes competing in Female sports. Do you think it's less of an issue with female to male athletes competing in men's sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back