Trivia time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Would reckon they played here, so it would have to be out of Holding, Richards........nah, factoring in guys that stayed in South Africa after the rebel tour......I'll go Franklin Stephenson.
Tasmania, Transvaal, Gloucester, and Barbados. Dirk Nannes was going through the seventeen different teams he played for on the radio.

Alvin Kallicharran

Queensland
Warwickshire
Transvaal and Orange Free State
Guyana

He played in SA during their apartheid regime, and required "honorary white" status. I don't know how he could live with himself for that!
Have a look at this, it provides some interesting perspective.

Well technically, Stephenson and Kallicharran are both correct. In addition, Rohan Kanhai played for Guyana, Tassie and WA, Warwickshire and Transvaal.
Also, Michael Holding played for Jamaica, Tassie, two English counties and Canterbury in NZ.

The only other player I can find who did this is the Pakistani Khalid Ibadulla who played domestic cricket in Pakistan, England, Australia and NZ.

Well technically, Stephenson and Kallicharran are both correct. In addition, Rohan Kanhai played for Guyana, Tassie and WA, Warwickshire and Transvaal.
Also, Michael Holding played for Jamaica, Tassie, two English counties and Canterbury in NZ.

The only other player I can find who did this is the Pakistani Khalid Ibadulla who played domestic cricket in Pakistan, England, Australia and NZ.

Rohan Kanhai played first class cricket for Transvaal? Are you sure about that?

EDIT: He played in a second rate, totally condescending competition called the Howa Bowl. This is from Wikipedia:

The Howa Bowl was a first-class cricket competition in South Africa that ran from the 1972-73 to 1990-91 cricket seasons. Originally known as the Dadabhay Trophy, it was contested between Eastern Province, Natal, Transvaal and Western Province.

Running alongside the South African apartheid years, the Howa Bowl was limited to non white players, who were not permitted to compete in the Currie Cup. It was organised by the South African Cricket Board and the matches were played over three days. The pitches used in the competition were poor quality, which is highlighted by the fact that a team passed 400 in an innings just six times while falling for under 100 on 87 occasions.

Last edited:
It's a good un for sure. I think the guys are still kidding themselves that they were some how trailblazers, but I appreciate that they were past it/fringe players looking at a once in a lifetime offer.

Franklyn Stephenson is actually proud of what he did. He kept his tour kit and other memorabilia and has them on display.

Franklyn Stephenson is actually proud of what he did. He kept his tour kit and other memorabilia and has them on display.
They were pawns of Apartheid for sure, but put $100k in front of a young guy in 1982, and it would be mighty hard to resist. One of things that has eternally impressed me about Mike Whitney is he was the only one to publicly state he turned down the Krugerrand because of what he'd seen in South Africa. He went to a whites only beach, as it was back then, and they stopped him because they thought he was a non-white, and it was only when he pulled his shorts down to expose the white top of his arse that they relented.

Rohan Kanhai played first class cricket for Transvaal? Are you sure about that?

EDIT: He played in a second rate, totally condescending competition called the Howa Bowl. This is from Wikipedia:

The Howa Bowl was a first-class cricket competition in South Africa that ran from the 1972-73 to 1990-91 cricket seasons. Originally known as the Dadabhay Trophy, it was contested between Eastern Province, Natal, Transvaal and Western Province.

Running alongside the South African apartheid years, the Howa Bowl was limited to non white players, who were not permitted to compete in the Currie Cup. It was organised by the South African Cricket Board and the matches were played over three days. The pitches used in the competition were poor quality, which is highlighted by the fact that a team passed 400 in an innings just six times while falling for under 100 on 87 occasions.

Kanhai's innings in this South African competition were only added onto his first class stats about 25-30 years after he retired, but nevertheless are now considered first class.

I don't have a problem with what they did.

Ostracising them for a decision that probably most people in the same position would make isn't the way to handle it, and the cost to the personal lives of the individuals has been enormous.

I don't have a problem with what they did.

Ostracising them for a decision that probably most people in the same position would make isn't the way to handle it, and the cost to the personal lives of the individuals has been enormous.

This is from Another Bloody Tour, by Frances Edmonds, wife of Phillippe. It's one of the best cricket tour books ever written. She addresses apartheid and the West Indies.

Capture.PNG

So what is unique about it? The only case of three Darrens?

Yes, that's pretty much it, the fact that the dismissal involves all three people having the same Christian name. Someone else has given the correct answer on another page.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is from Another Bloody Tour, by Frances Edmonds, wife of Phillippe. It's one of the best cricket tour books ever written. She addresses apartheid and the West Indies.

View attachment 321003

That's fair enough.

But objecting and turning those men into public outcasts are two different things and it's sad that the former evolved into the latter

Yes, that's pretty much it, the fact that the dismissal involves all three people having the same Christian name. Someone else has given the correct answer on another page.
I know the answer, I guess I am being pedantic and asking if it is unique or just interesting.

I know the answer, I guess I am being pedantic and asking if it is unique or just interesting.

As far as I know it is the only instance where all three people have the same Christian name, so I guess that makes it unique. There was a dismissal in a first class match in which every player had the same surname. In the game between Middlesex and Somerset at Lord's in 1933, HW Lee was caught by his brother FS Lee of the bowling of his other brother JW Lee, for 82 runs.
Then there was a second class game in England in 1999 where Courtney Hayman was caught by his brother, Chris, off the bowling of their father Carlton. The scorebook entry looked like this:

C Hayman c C Hayman b C Hayman 3

What was the unique occurrence in the Lord's test between England and the West Indies, 2000?

Just taking guesses here but:

All wickets in the match fell to pace. 38 of them.

A team won a test without passing 200.

The winning team had no player make a half century.

Nope to all.

Hint: Take a look at the end of day scores, especially Day 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back