FTA-TV TV Shows That Have Aged Poorly

Remove this Banner Ad

The Goodies.
Strange one The Goodies - a lot of episodes, especially in the first 2-3 series, have aged very badly (lots of references to then-current events and personalities, also a bit non-PC in places)

But the very best episodes are timeless.

Strange one The Goodies - a lot of episodes, especially in the first 2-3 series, have aged very badly (lots of references to then-current events and personalities, also a bit non-PC in places)

Bunfight at the O.K. tea rooms?

Scrubs easily. Was amazed at how many recycled gags appear throughout the series. Never minded when I was younger. The todd should have been killed off in the first season. Everytime he appeared you knew what he was gonna do/say

Love Thy Neighbour ;)

Will never be shown on network television ever again.

You can add 'Til Death Us Do Part to that as well.

Showing anyone who hasn't seen it the South Africa episode now would be very amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many British sitcoms of the 1970s listed here reference lifestyle or cultural scenarios unique to that period.

I'd also add 'The Good Life', 'Are you being served?', 'Man About the House' and 'George and Mildred' to the list of very dated sitcoms.

As much as I enjoy 'Faulty Towers', I'd argue it is also very much a program of its time that wouldn't be made today.

Showing anyone who hasn't seen it the South Africa episode now would be very amusing.

That's the episode that came immediately to mind. Even though it lampoons apartheid, the scene at the end where they have to go blackface to be unnoticed back in England simply wouldn't be an option today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the episode that came immediately to mind. Even though it lampoons apartheid, the scene at the end where they have to go blackface to be unnoticed back in England simply wouldn't be an option today.

That would certainly be true, no way you could show that episode today. Actually, because it is clearly lampooning apartheid and in no way supporting it, I don't think this episode is their most un-PC either.

That would certainly be true, no way you could show that episode today. Actually, because it is clearly lampooning apartheid and in no way supporting it, I don't think this episode is their most un-PC either.

At the time 'The Goodies' was quite ground-breaking. It's just very hard to distance our perceptions of things from how the show would have been received in the '70s.

Seinfeld: The Early Years. It's very weird to me.

Seinfeld really didn't get popular until the mid 90s when it was already half way through its run when the plot points started to get a bit outrageous. The early episodes just did enough ratings wise to stay on the air and get a modest following. They are quite tame compared to the later episodes of the series.

It's pretty funny how Seinfeld very nearly didn't get made at all after poor test screenings of the pilot with the audience.

Also one of the jokes of Krammer was that the clothes he wore were out of date like he was still stuck in the 70s, but even though still not my style I'd take his wardrobe any day over the majority of the garish stuff that Jerry wore most of the series.

So many British sitcoms of the 1970s listed here reference lifestyle or cultural scenarios unique to that period.

I'd also add 'The Good Life', 'Are you being served?', 'Man About the House' and 'George and Mildred' to the list of very dated sitcoms.

As much as I enjoy 'Faulty Towers', I'd argue it is also very much a program of its time that wouldn't be made today.
Well obviously anything that's about 40 years is going to be 'out of date', but something like Fawlty Towers imo is still as funny as it every was. I think the point of the thread could be more shows that on re watching today seem to be nowhere near as good as you remembered when seeing them a long time ago as a kid or whatever.

I was reminded of that when Hey Hey had its "black face" controversy in the shotr-lived attempted revival a couple of years back. Apart-height was a briliant concept.

Ironically one of the things that has stopped some Goodies episodes ageing badly is how woeful the effects were. They were pretty bad for the time, and aimed only to get the point across. Now it sort of adds to the surrealism of certain bits. If they had tried to use (then) cutting edge effects, the whole thing would look woeful now (see some of the effects used in Dr Who in the same period and later in the classic run, the more money used the tackier it looks now - plus Who wasn't meant to be a comedy and comedy can probably get away with things more in that regard). It still does look woeful, but to an extent that is built into it.

Scrubs easily. Was amazed at how many recycled gags appear throughout the series. Never minded when I was younger. The todd should have been killed off in the first season. Everytime he appeared you knew what he was gonna do/say

That's how sitcoms work.

Scrubs is definitely re-watchable, holds up so well.

I agree with thorne. I've watched all seasons about 3 times and i currently have it series linked on Comedy. Love it

I don't think Friends has aged all that poorly (or at least aging of a show doesn't impact all that much on my enjoyment). It's not like the themes and laughs of Friends are no longer relevant or anything. It's been in prime time dinner syndication for a couple years now, so obviously a lot of people out there (presumably including people not alive when the show began) are still enjoying it a great deal.

In terms of content, something like Seinfeld might actually be more prone to dating, given its obsession with contemporary social customs that might no longer exist today. Of course, it's qualities are timeless, but Seinfeld is a little bit more period-centric in some of its plotting and premises than some other sitcoms. Friends on the other hand is less anchored to a certain time and place, despite its obvious 1990s nostalgic qualities. Occasionally I'll be watching an episode of Seinfeld and be thinking what Gen-Z or whatever will connect with in a particular archaic scenario.

I think some of the more unique zeitgeist shows might be prone to this trend, like say an X-Files or Miami Vice (I don't mean to pick out these shows at all, just to give an example of the type of program that might be prone to dating more quickly).

I guess younger forumers here would be a good litmus test for some of the 60s-80s classics. Obviously some young people just like new things, and would be prejudiced on sight, but for those that appreciate the history of TV, if a show they weren't alive for doesn't stand up well, then it might qualify for this thread. Some programs are also more remembered for their ground breaking (at least at the time) social commentary than actual (and enduring) quality.

It doesn't help when "Friends" shows scenes of the NY skyline, with the Twin Towers.

I thought that they may have edited that out by now.

Love Thy Neighbour ;)

On a similar note, "Kingswood Country".

At the time 'The Goodies' was quite ground-breaking. It's just very hard to distance our perceptions of things from how the show would have been received in the '70s.

Unfortunately, one of their best eps IMO was the Rolf Harris episode. It takes on a whole new meaning these days.

I dont think it was that ground breaking, it followed a trope that was already well established, but very well executed. Shows like 'At last the 1948 show', 'That was the week that was' and "the strange world of Gurney Slade" were far more radical. As it is, I loved the Goodies as a kid. Now my kids love the goodies, it's their favourite show. It's stood the test of time as a kids show. Shows like Monty Python haven't done so well IMO.

Hey Hey It's Saturday (or whatever day it's on.)
Maybe The 3 Stooges.

On a general matter, would humour be classified as a consensus medium or a maturity medium?
Would humour be something that the masses generally would understand or is it a case by case proposition and that individuals can identify their own style of comedy that they like?

Hey Hey It's Saturday (or whatever day it's on.)

'Hey hey' certainly aged badly - from the moment it was filmed to several moments later when it appeared in ya loungeroom, it turned into utter crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back