UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Who do you want to win?

• Tottenham

• Liverpool

• Happy with either

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, very lucky. Ref probably gave him benefit of the doubt because he took the ball first but studs raised, a bloke that size with that much momentum, could've been ugly. Reckless challenge. As it is, definitely a yellow card (means he misses the next game) but easily could've been red.
i've been baffled by people saying it's not a red cos he got the ball. lunging in, studs up, to the leg/ankle at a fair pace. few years back they were sending off players for the lunge itself.

True, but he's done it more than once. It's part of the new style Liverpool are playing, but the media eat him up. You aren't as free wheeling as last year and that isn't helped by a lack of quality in the middle of the park.

Still third in PL for Goals scored.
One behind arsenal who have conceded 20 (Liverpool 6)

As for mourinho... man united have scored 1 goal at home in the champions league from 3 matches.

Van Dijk should've seen a red for trying to break Mertens' leg though. Horrible challenge.
Doesn't look like he's trying to break his leg at all. He's already lunged here and Mertens left leg hasn't come across yet.
Untitled.jpg

i've been baffled by people saying it's not a red cos he got the ball. lunging in, studs up, to the leg/ankle at a fair pace. few years back they were sending off players for the lunge itself.
wow so that should be a red now?

We deffs got the short end of the stick against Burnley considering Gomez got his lower leg fractured in similar fashion and was told by the ref to get up and play on, just last week.

Me saying he was trying to break his leg was just figure of speech. Of course he wasn't trying to do that. But it was very dangerous and deserved a red card. If that was Ramos on Salah, you'd agree.

Me saying he was trying to break his leg was just figure of speech. Of course he wasn't trying to do that. But it was very dangerous and deserved a red card. If that was Ramos on Salah, you'd agree.
Not contesting if it was dangerous, clearly caught him on the follow through. At least we agree that it wasn't intentional.

If rules state that it should be a red no matter what, then I shouldn't have been so easy on Phil Jagielka when he got a red card in matchday 1.

It's one that could go either way no matter what the player. To me it was more in the reckless side of things and there certainly wasn't an excessive amount of force in the tackle. That's probably why the referee erred on the side of a caution.

You get the point though he is a big centre back going in hard with studs showing. Of course you want him going in with force, it's the studs up that is the dirty element
The follow through has cost him a 1 match ban so he'll be a big loss in the 1st leg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Kompany got sent off for a tackle like that in a derby, even though he didn't make any contact.

Commentators were insistent that was the correct decision.

It is.

Reckless play doesn't have to make contact to be reckless.

It doesn't, but I felt that particular tackle wasn't the slightest bit reckless.

OK, don't know the specific tackle in question, but making a general point about whether contact is needed for a red.

I remember when Kompany got sent off for a tackle like that in a derby, even though he didn't make any contact.

Commentators were insistent that was the correct decision.

Was that a Cup game where he was sent off against Rooney?

If that’s the one you’re referring to, I recall little if any actual contact on Rooney. But it was more to do with the way he lunged in.

Was that a Cup game where he was sent off against Rooney?

If that’s the one you’re referring to, I recall little if any actual contact on Rooney. But it was more to do with the way he lunged in.
it was on nani. rooney turned around and ran screaming at the ref

Back