Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 - Confirmed shot down by Iranian military

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing too unusual about a missile battery firing 2 missiles. Its usually SOP to ensure the destruction of the target.
Yep - and the missiles generally aren't designed to hit the target, they're designed to detonate in close proximity to the target to disable it. Two missles = double the force/shrapnel cloud.

So they missed, looked at the plane to see it was alright, and fired again.

Looks like I was wrong when I said the operators were 80 IQ. It's probably closer to 50.
I really want to know how/why the aircraft IFF didn't immediately feed into the SAM systems.
I imagine the radar signature of a commercial airliner is many orders of magnitude higher than that of a cruise missile too.

I really want to know how/why the aircraft IFF didn't immediately feed into the SAM systems.
I imagine the radar signature of a commercial airliner is many orders of magnitude higher than that of a cruise missile too.
The launcher probably couldn't read the IFF code the transponder was sending.

IFF in its most simple form is a binary question where you're either a friend or you aren't. Programming the function to deduce anything beyond that is generally irrelevant for small, mobile SAM launchers because airliners don't tend to be around conflict zones. Vincennes had the function, but Vincennes was a 10,000t warship with an extremely powerful radar.

The real question is why planes were still taking off if everyone was on edge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back