Umpires holding up play for a team to set up

Remove this Banner Ad

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
On multiple occasions tonight, the umpires have been heard holding up Swans players because Carlton weren’t ready to get in with the play.

Curnow was in the ground and told to get up because “I’m holding them up for you”

In another occasion the Swans were called back because “Carlton aren’t set up yet”

Uhh, is this fair dinkum?

On multiple occasions tonight, the umpires have been heard holding up Swans players because Carlton weren’t ready to get in with the play.

Curnow was in the ground and told to get up because “I’m holding them up for you”

In another occasion the Swans were called back because “Carlton aren’t set up yet”

Only 2 times I've seen swans were interfering with the man on the Mark at the time. Which u can't do.

Because the swans players dropped the guy on the mark, are you blind?

Is this thread fair dinkum?

If they dump the guy on the mark, reverse the free, not sure about this halfway business, no reversal but I'll give your side a chance to set up defensively

They hold up the game so that the TV cameras can pan back to a wider view of the stoppage and people who are new to the game can ask the question:

What do the two men wearing pink clothing do?

Not so much the umps. Players do what they can to not let players up or not get the ball back quickly. Should be one warning and then a 50 paid. It looks ugly and is a blight on the game.

I know all players and teams do it but I thought Melbourne were extremely deliberate with this when they played us earlier in the year. Geelong player would take a mark or get a free kick and it was essentially stacks on and very slow getting off when they had no reason to fall on top of them in the first place.

I know all players and teams do it but I thought Melbourne were extremely deliberate with this when they played us earlier in the year. Geelong player would take a mark or get a free kick and it was essentially stacks on and very slow getting off when they had no reason to fall on top of them in the first place.

Whatever happened to the rule that you can't grab or hold an opponent after he's taken a mark? That seems to have died a quick death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much the umps. Players do what they can to not let players up or not get the ball back quickly. Should be one warning and then a 50 paid. It looks ugly and is a blight on the game.

Indeed, it's the whole reason the 25m penalty (which later changed to a 50m penalty) was bought in.

I think it was Kevin Sheedy's Bombers in the early-to-mid '80s who would frequently "hold up" the opposition in this way, to either allow themselves to set up or waste time, which led to the penalty being introduced, to dissuade those tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back