FTA-TV Underbelly - a Tale of Two Cities

Remove this Banner Ad

Rated M? Gaaaaaaaaay. No way will this be as good as the first series.

Underbelly (the TV version at least) was rated M. It did air at 8.30pm (outside of Victoria, I don't know what time it was shown when it was eventually aired in Victoria) after all.

Underbelly was the most overrated Australian TV show ever. It was an enjoyable but essentially average show. The hype and media coverage would make you think it was an excellent, HBO-like series though :rolleyes:

Knowing Nine, Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities probably won't be an improvement.

A little bit off topic but I was reading the book Big Shots recently and the author said he did a documentary piece for Channel 9 called Badfellas about the killings approx. 2004-05. I looked for it on Mininova but couldnt find it; does anyone know if it is available online?

I am looking forward to the second Underbelly but dont think it will be as good as the first. The first one was interesting but plenty of it was too fictionalised and the overall acting/production left a lot to be desired at times. They could have done it so much better but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Is Underbelly 2 based solely in Sydney? I thought it was to be based in Sydney and Melbourne hence the title Tale of Two Cities.

A little bit off topic but I was reading the book Big Shots recently and the author said he did a documentary piece for Channel 9 called Badfellas about the killings approx. 2004-05. I looked for it on Mininova but couldnt find it; does anyone know if it is available online?

I am looking forward to the second Underbelly but dont think it will be as good as the first. The first one was interesting but plenty of it was too fictionalised and the overall acting/production left a lot to be desired at times. They could have done it so much better but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Is Underbelly 2 based solely in Sydney? I thought it was to be based in Sydney and Melbourne hence the title Tale of Two Cities.

l have to agree with you on your thoughts on the first underbelly they stayed from the facts little to much..and with underbelly 2
l do believe its mostly based in NSW but l think there's a Melbourne link little bit like blue murder I'm not 100% sure

Underbelly (the TV version at least) was rated M. It did air at 8.30pm (outside of Victoria, I don't know what time it was shown when it was eventually aired in Victoria) after all.

Underbelly was the most overrated Australian TV show ever. It was an enjoyable but essentially average show. The hype and media coverage would make you think it was an excellent, HBO-like series though :rolleyes:

Knowing Nine, Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities probably won't be an improvement.
Your one of those guys aren't you?

I agree, my 'beef' is mainly with the hype and promotion of it by Ch 9. The subject matter, has already been way overplayed in Victoria.... before the tv series began (i'm not interested in watching something that i already know too well about).

The way Ch 9 promoted it, you'd think they were promoting the second coming of Jesus, the snippets i did see.... the acting was typical Australian bad / hammy acting. Yet they were going right off talking about the quality of actors participating in the series.... yet they were the type of actors that can't get regular tv or movie gigs anywhere else.

I don't want to link to it, but there's a yawnful marketing effort by Nein out there.

In the released video would they be....

a. Giving us a glimpse of the characters?
b. Giving us an indication of the story?
c. Showing the quality of the writing or direction?
d. Leaking 30 seconds of sex and violence?

It aired at 9:30 in Adelaide. It was also on after one of Gordon Ramsay's shows, so people were already prepped for swearing and the like by then. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first series was laughably bad and drastically inaccurate.

This series has Matthew Newton and Kate Ritchie. 'Nuff said.

If they make a third series, it will be the apocalypse.

I agree but it appealed to wannabe gangstas who like drugs, guns, booze and boobs. It was always going to be successful, no matter how poor the acting or how inaccurate the storyline. :)

Matthew Newton may be many things, but he is a quality actor.

I got a book by John Silvester, whos book Leadbelly they 'based' the first season from, and while reading it you pick up how different and annoying some of the parts of the show are when compared to the actual events and i only saw the couple of edited versions they played in victoria.

Like for instance in real life Mark Moran was killed going to his car outside his house which had large gates but in the show he is killed putting out the garbage and his house doesn't have any large gates at all. How hard would it have been to find a house that at least had large gates or even to display him getting shot going to his car like it actually happened.

Or the way there was no mention of Nik Radev being a captain of the Russian mafia.

And don't even start me on the cheesy music-video style montage of Alphonse Gangitano walking through Lygon St and slapping a shopkeep with a bunch of $100 bills (and watching said shopkeep laughably hold his face as if he'd been glassed).

Its just glorification of a bunch of immature ********s who left a whole bunch of kids without parents because they wanted to label themselves with the gangster tag, instead of trying to quietly go about earning some money. Of course, these are qualities we tend to hold in high regard in Australia.

I don't get why they portrayed Mladenich as a scrawny, irrelevant piece of crap when in real life he was 6 foot 7 and one of the most feared standover men in Melbourne.

Meh.

I did enjoy Underbelly on the whole.

Or how Lewis Moran was basically portrayed as a typical TV Dad and not a violent psychopath.

Or how they tried to make out that Veniamin was some complex character with values and not just a small-man-syndrome suffering lunatic without a moral.

Or how Lewis Moran was basically portrayed as a typical TV Dad and not a violent psychopath.

Lewis Moran was nothing more than another invalid pensioner in the pub at the time of the Gangland Wars. He suffered badly from gout and couldn't hold a gun let alone put his fists up.

Lewis Moran was nothing more than another invalid pensioner in the pub at the time of the Gangland Wars. He suffered badly from gout and couldn't hold a gun let alone put his fists up.

I mean more in regards to his character, dialogue etc. The guy playing him acted as if he was playing his former character from Neighbours, rather than a former P&D.

And to be fair, it didn't matter how evil they wanted to portray Lewis, fact is David Bishop was no chance of pulling it off convincingly. :p

I mean more in regards to his character, dialogue etc. The guy playing him acted as if he was playing his former character from Neighbours, rather than a former P&D.

Oh I agree. Underbelly could have been an excellent movie or two if the makers had shelled out the money for a decent writer, and did some proper casting. After all, it's a good story.

Kevin Harrington was the worst cast actor in the whole series. The guy that played Jason was also shocking. Dimitriades was laughable as Victor Brincat and Colin Carpenter as Keith Faure? Gimme a break! Gattos role was also strangely muted.

Frankie Holden, the chicks that played Roberta & Danielle, and the fella that played Mark would be the only people I would include in any movie version. I might keep the guy that played Veniamin, but he would get far better lines in any hypothetical movie.

The script let the actors down badly. It's rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back