Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not really sure it is the best thing for young kids getting into cricket to be honest. We are going to be stuck with another generation of batsmen with a poor technique and an inability to bat long test innings.

it's the coaches and parents fault if they allow for their kids to base their techniques off t20 cricket. T20 is a great way for young kids to be introduced to cricket and increase their interest in cricket, it should be utilized as a base and then coaches/parents should ensure that the kids have the appropriate bowling and batting techniques.

If we are stuck with poor batting/bowling techniques, then coaches should be blamed for teaching it and not the kids. It's the coaches responsibility to ensure what is being taught is appropriate.

Nah.

Should have kept it to one team per city
May as well have kept it state based then.. I've often thought that early on in the comp 7 teams would probably have been a better number, The Thunder being the obvious team not to exist yet. I think 2 in Melbourne seems to be working fine.

May as well have kept it state based then.. I've often thought that early on in the comp 7 teams would probably have been a better number, The Thunder being the obvious team not to exist yet. I think 2 in Melbourne seems to be working fine.

6 states + ACT

Was the perfect opportunity to revive the Canberra Comets :D
Exactly, imagine a side with Haddin, Lyon, Behrendorff, Carters and Sheridan coming out of Manuka?
You're going to get more fans if you divide up a major city then if you base the team in Geelong or Canberra.
How about uniting one city behind a team and having a Geelong side that the town unites behind, which is for country Victoria.
Yep. They tried to manufacture a rivalry that had no basis for being one in the first place.
Couldn't agree more.

If we are stuck with poor batting/bowling techniques, then coaches should be blamed for teaching it and not the kids. It's the coaches responsibility to ensure what is being taught is appropriate.

seeing local coaches trying to teach batting technique is laughable these days especially by those who can't hold bat in the first place but think they can coach cause they have those coaching certificates.

Not enough time put into feet balance,mindset and application at the crease, no point changing a kids technique when it makes them uncomfortable at the crease.

I'd rather 3 days of entertainment than 5 days of (mainly) batsmen dominating on a flat deck.

I really think you don't get the Test cricket concept. What we are seeing in the series is some very good batting and average bowling, that is why the scores are so high. Last time I looked, good batting was good cricket.

So wickets falling and batsmen failing is ... "entertainment"? But batting well is not? Strange attitude. Explain that to the people who purchase Test tickets for days 4 and 5.

Let's forget about all those double and triple hundreds folks, apparently watching Lara smash 277 at the SCG is boring .. who would have thought.

How about uniting one city behind a team and having a Geelong side that the town unites behind, which is for country Victoria.

Crowd attendence would be dismal because it'd just be too long to travel if the supporter base was meant for Country Victoria. Even then, Victoria has a population of 5.8 million of which 4.4 million live in Melbourne. You'd rather (theoretically) have two teams with a potential supporter base of 2.2 million each. Like a Tassy AFL team, it's just not financial viable and would've been close to folding by now/needing constant support from CA and CV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that people are still whinging about Big Bash shows how out of touch they are with what is going on in Cricket these days.

They know what's going on. The reason they are whingeing is because they can see problems arising from it. You call it being out of touch, I call it showing concern for the future of the game.

I really think you don't get the Test cricket concept. What we are seeing in the series is some very good batting and average bowling, that is why the scores are so high. Last time I looked, good batting was good cricket.

So wickets falling and batsmen failing is ... "entertainment"? But batting well is not? Strange attitude. Explain that to the people who purchase Test tickets for days 4 and 5.

Let's forget about all those double and triple hundreds folks, apparently watching Lara smash 277 at the SCG is boring .. who would have thought.

Watching good bowlers on the top of their game creates the most exciting matches IMO. Similarly good batsmen getting through these periods makes for good cricket.

Watching good bowlers on the top of their game creates the most exciting matches IMO. Similarly good batsmen getting through these periods makes for good cricket.
I still miss watching Warne bowl. You just knew something was about to happen when he was on.

I hate it when people criticise others over an isolated incident. Don't you think its possible he left because he might have something more important to do?

It cracks me up that everyone is supposed to get around a bloke that they don't know just for because? What was Hughes meant to do, invite him over for dinner? I subfielded for a first grade team at a new club when I was young and I was just happy to be in the change room let alone if any of them talked to me.

Nathan Lyon is grossly over rated and s**t.

Adam Voges has a better first class bowling record FFS.

Lyon finally did something and took a 7-for in Adelaide, and suddenly he's god's gift to spin. Crazy Krejza took 8 wickets in a innings on test debut (12 in the match) and got dropped. And that was against the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman. Lyon couldn't even remotely pull back a Pakistani team with half that class.

Last edited:
Nathan Lyon is grossly over rated and s**t.

Adam Voges has a better first class bowling record FFS.

Lyon finally did something and took a 7-for in Adelaide, and suddenly he's god's gift to spin. Crazy Krejza took 8 wickets in a innings on test debut and got dropped.
Lyon is also Australia's second most successful finger spinner ever, only needs 8 wickets to become the most successful. 134 wickets at 34 is nothing to be sneezed at.

Lyon is also Australia's second most successful finger spinner ever, only needs 8 wickets to become the most successful. 134 wickets at 34 is nothing to be sneezed at.

Woah, now that's an achievement...:rolleyes:

He's lost and drawn us more games than he's won with his lack of ability to do anything on 5th day pitches.

Nathan Hauritz has an identical strike rate and average - yet isn't held in anywhere near the same regard.

Last edited:
Woah, now that's an achievement...:rolleyes:

He's lost and drawn us more games than he's won with his lack of ability to do anything on 5th day pitches
Other than Adelaide vs South Africa, which games are you referring to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back