Unpopular Freo Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam McCarthy was set up to fail from the beginning as soon as he arrived and people were fresh off of Pavlich's retirement, people were looking for the next leading man in our forward line and as soon as we picked up McCarthy, a forward who wanted to come here and was a Fremantle supporter growing up, we instantly labelled him as a "messiah" and the guy to lead our forward line.

Here's the one problem with that, Cam McCarthy was not a key forward

People seemed to believe he was going to be our #1 target up forward and in his first season he was unfortunately treated as such, McCarthy's best role was as a 3rd tall taking the 3rd best defender and if you want proof have a look at his start to the 2019 season, he was playing very well there.

We need more from Matthew Pavlich. He's given his all for the club in his playing days and is the greatest docker of all time. As much as he's given to FFC the state of WA has also given back to the great man in spades.

Our young forwards need a mentor and the club needs a greater advocate not just an impartial PC media pav. Hell if Freo is going to be an old boys club can we at least get our greatest as part of it.

Sometimes I do wonder about Pav... 'its wharfie time' wtf was that...thought some of the pregame stuff on Friday was a bit lacking... I can't tell if he's just very phlegmatic, trying to be impartial or just isn't too fussed

I think we have a real shot with this group of young players. Sandi does a lot with the young rucks. Our backs are set. If we can get Mundy mentoring the mids and pav with the forwards that extra 5% might make all the difference.

Might be all already be going on but from the east coast it's the impression that I get.

I thought O'Meara, apart from those 2 misses was good last night

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn't say good, but adequate. His last two games were same and if you looked only at stats they would say he hasn't been 'bad' and don't think most would say he has.

Problem is I think they feel the need to keep him in the side in some shape or form, and while he plays ok, he will probably remain.

If he wasn't injured or on less minutes in first few games he probably be playing this role he is now, and I don't think we would have done so well.

I wouldn't say good, but adequate. His last two games were same and if you looked only at stats they would say he hasn't been 'bad' and don't think most would say he has.

Problem is I think they feel the need to keep him in the side in some shape or form, and while he plays ok, he will probably remain.

If he wasn't injured or on less minutes in first few games he probably be playing this role he is now, and I don't think we would have done so well.
Watch what he does, not flash but very good, binds the midfield!

Cam McCarthy was set up to fail from the beginning as soon as he arrived and people were fresh off of Pavlich's retirement, people were looking for the next leading man in our forward line and as soon as we picked up McCarthy, a forward who wanted to come here and was a Fremantle supporter growing up, we instantly labelled him as a "messiah" and the guy to lead our forward line.

Here's the one problem with that, Cam McCarthy was not a key forward

People seemed to believe he was going to be our #1 target up forward and in his first season he was unfortunately treated as such, McCarthy's best role was as a 3rd tall taking the 3rd best defender and if you want proof have a look at his start to the 2019 season, he was playing very well there.
Thought McCarthy, Hogan, Tabs with Lobb was the better option.
Never really had that combination for more than 3-5 games actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more from Matthew Pavlich. He's given his all for the club in his playing days and is the greatest docker of all time. As much as he's given to FFC the state of WA has also given back to the great man in spades.

Our young forwards need a mentor and the club needs a greater advocate not just an impartial PC media pav. Hell if Freo is going to be an old boys club can we at least get our greatest as part of it.

Sometimes I do wonder about Pav... 'its wharfie time' wtf was that...thought some of the pregame stuff on Friday was a bit lacking... I can't tell if he's just very phlegmatic, trying to be impartial or just isn't too fussed

I think we have a real shot with this group of young players. Sandi does a lot with the young rucks. Our backs are set. If we can get Mundy mentoring the mids and pav with the forwards that extra 5% might make all the difference.

Might be all already be going on but from the east coast it's the impression that I get.
I was really disappointed with his lack of empathy on Friday

yes grieving is hard for all. so pav may have been trying to deal with it all and jsut came across as lacking empathy, but maybe he was jsut trying to hide his own deeper feelings.
or if you deny it, it didn't happen

I also feel like he tries to disassociate himself from Freo so he doesn't appear biased

I also feel like he tries to disassociate himself from Freo so he doesn't appear biased
only ever spoke to him once, a number of years back now when he still played. and he came across as a person who just wants to do the right thing when he can. maybe he feels too many commentators are biased so he trying to go the opposite sometimes

I can't blame him to an extent, if he was openly supportive of Fremantle you'd have people at his throat for being biased, he probably goes too far in the other direction but I imagine he's very disappointed at some of our performances over the last couple of years and knows we're capable of better.

Freo should have traded Darcy and kept Meek. You don’t need an 800K ruckman, especially one who has a track record of avoiding game time.
Actually agree.
Meek is competitive enough.
Think rucks these days just have to win to compete the taps and follow up.
Darcy doesn’t seem to have the body to continuously push the opposition then try to mark up forward. His knees are an issue

The club should be taken into private ownership as the WAFC consistently allows the AFL to treat the club like second-class citizens.

The non-vic clubs should gang up on the vic clubs and force a more fair competition to be developed.
IN regards to your last sentence, it will never happen. Go many francise clubs which means AFL owned. Tassie, a new franchise.

Actually agree.
Meek is competitive enough.
Think rucks these days just have to win to compete the taps and follow up.
Darcy doesn’t seem to have the body to continuously push the opposition then try to mark up forward. His knees are an issue
His knees would be happier if he turned up to a season not looking like he’s been on the piss since September.

I actually really rate Jlo’s interviews and pressers. Not super charismatic and is definitely not a salesman, but his responses are generally pretty honest, thoughtful, articulate and considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back