(Log in to remove this ad.)

NaturalDisaster

Jul 16, 2015
Earth somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Side Hawks
They need to stop singing the club songs after wins. It used to be good, showed passion etc but now it just comes accross as outdated and cringey.

Club songs should be played over the speaker before the game and after a win only imo, teams shouldn't have to go back and sing them together. You can tell they hate it anyway with how they rush through it constantly.

tigs2010

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
They need to stop singing the theme songs after wins. It used to be good, showed passion etc but now it just comes accross as outdated and cringey.

Theme songs should be played over the speaker before the game and after a win only imo, teams shouldn't have to go back and sing them together. You can tell they hate it anyway with how they rush through it constantly.
Depends on the team. We won what 18 games last year? Gets a bit boring at times. But for a side like Carlton its a big thing for them.

Shadowthorn

Premium Platinum
Jun 23, 2013
Pakenham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I hate the idea of player movement during the season. I know other sporting codes do it but I buy into 44 Richmond players every year, and they are who I care about. A footy club without people is just an idea, and I don't follow the club as an idea or concept. Not a fan of changing the pieces mid-season.

Underarm

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Depends on the team. We won what 18 games last year? Gets a bit boring at times. But for a side like Carlton its a big thing for them.
Yeah you can tell when a team is into it and when they're not. Losing Grand finalists are usually pretty subdued in wins the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squibbs

Mabior Chol #1 Fan
May 25, 2013
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I hate the idea of player movement during the season. I know other sporting codes do it but I buy into 44 Richmond players every year, and they are who I care about. A footy club without people is just an idea, and I don't follow the club as an idea or concept. Not a fan of changing the pieces mid-season.
I agree. It works well in sports like the NBA because of the amount of games they play compared to the AFL, would feel really weird doing it with a comp that has 22 games a season, compared to 82. Mid season draft I’m not fussed about, benefits teams like us that are genuinely injury struck and need fill ins, as well as giving delisted players a chance to extend their careers. but a trade period mid season seems ridiculous and unnecessary

NaturalDisaster

Jul 16, 2015
Earth somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Side Hawks
I can't believe this wasn't my first one.

But my major unpopular opinion about AFL, which I have ranted about many times before on this board... Kids should NOT be presenting medals at the AFL Grand Final. It is a major annual sporting event for an elite code that is supposed to be professional. Having kids present players with medal completely devalues the whole occasion and makes it look amateurish.

Look at the Grand Final presentations from the Old days and there is a much more professional vibe to them.

What holds more weight? Having a medal presented to you by a champion in a suit and tie or a small child in an Auskick jumper?

tugga

May 9, 2006
Yid army
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham,Red Sox,San Antonio Spurs

But my major unpopular opinion about AFL, which I have ranted about many times before on this board... Kids should NOT be presenting medals at the AFL Grand Final. It is a major annual sporting event for an elite code that is supposed to be professional. Having kids present players with medal completely devalues the whole occasion and makes it look amateurish.

Look at the Grand Final presentations from the Old days and there is a much more professional vibe to them.

What holds more weight? Having a medal presented to you by a champion in a suit and tie or a small child in an Auskick jumper?
whoa!

Sir_Loin

Premium Platinum
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Why do you hate children so much?

NaturalDisaster

Jul 16, 2015
Earth somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Side Hawks
Why do you hate children so much?
I don't hate children at all.

They get more involvement in AFL footy than most other sports, particularly getting the oppurtunity to play at half time every week. I am all for that sort of thing and think it's great to get the kids involved. However, there is a time and place for getting the kids involved and the biggest AFL ceremony of the year is NOT that time and place imo.

22 players just busted their arses all year and then for two hours on the day to get where they did, surely they deserve better than to have medals presented to them by kids?

Sir_Loin

Premium Platinum
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't hate children at all.

They get more involvement in AFL footy than most other sports, particularly getting the oppurtunity to play at half time every week. I am all for that sort of thing and think it's great to get the kids involved. However, there is a time and place for getting the kids involved and the biggest AFL ceremony of the year is NOT that time and place imo.

22 players just busted their arses all year and then for two hours on the day to get where they did, surely they deserve better than to have medals presented to them by kids?
I was joking ND. But no they don’t. It’s a game and it’s a way of connecting to the grass roots. Granted it’s a bit of a marketing ploy but it’s a nice touch.

Top Bottom