Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with ya. The PBs should remain for special occasions, but we've moved on from them and it was a small price to pay to enter the AFL. I actually think the #bringbackthebars campaign is embarrassing, and pointlessly divisive as we will not and should not ever wear the PBs as a home jumper in the AFL.
Why shouldn't we?

Why shouldn't we?

If it's good enough for the Manchester Uniteds :sick: and Liverpools 🤮🤮 and Barcelonas and Real Madrids to have clash jumpers then Collingwood can get with the program as well.

It shows how immature we are as a sport that every club aren't forced to have an away strip that doesn't clash with the home side.

I understand this is the unpopular opinion thread but this clown has been in the job 7 years going into his 8th. Have any of his behaviours ever indicated he learns from his mistakes? His biggest issue is to actually recognise his mistakes. He has never acknowledged or accepted blame apart from his half time talk in the Geelong semi in 2013. He is as arrogant as he is stupid.

Hey I said longshot :)

Might be crucified for this one.

Port Adelaide accepted giving up the prison bars when entering the AFL.

Collingwood’s reluctance to permit the jumper is not unreasonable - they are just holding us to what was agreed.
Perhaps, yea we compromised when we first entered but, they also said if we finished above them three years straight they’d remove any objections. We finished above them each of the first 5 years in the comp.

Conveniently forgetting that are Collingwood.... Not that should really get a say, the AFL should just show some genuine back bone and independence and allow us to wear them as our home Kit.

I think I've said this to you before, but you've missed the point of the campaign by a fair margin.

We're fighting for the right to wear it when we choose, and that's a very different, and much more important thing, than what home jumper we wear.

I actually agree with you that the PBs should be given a special status that we can use for special occasions. However, as it stands right now, we don't even have the right to do that without approval from Collingwood.

For reference, we applied to wear it more than once in 2020, but we're only wearing it once in 2020.
That's why #bringbackthebars exists and will continue to exist until this is no longer the case.
I know you've told me this, and I am aligned with this basic ideal. (Although personally I feel we already have this right. If we want to wear it on special occasions we're very unlikely to see and objectors and I don't see that as an issue with the way it is as long as we get reasonable approvals for reasonable once a year type requests)

However, there are far too many who believe the BBTB campaign is about far more than just being able to wear it when we want, the majority of posts I see on it are talking about wearing the PBs as a home guernsey, or at least away. I'm opposed to that view, and as such my view while likely unpopular is that I'm not supportive of the BBTB campaign.

Case in point:
Why shouldn't we?

Last edited:
I know you've told me this, and I am aligned with this basic ideal. (Although personally I feel we already have this right. If we want to wear it on special occasions we're very unlikely to see and objectors and I don't see that as an issue with the way it is as long as we get reasonable approvals for reasonable once a year type requests)

However, there are far too many who believe the BBTB campaign is about far more than just being able to wear it when we want, the majority of posts I see on it are talking about wearing the PBs as a home guernsey, or at least away. I'm opposed to that view, and as such my view while likely unpopular is that I'm not supportive of the BBTB campaign.

The issue (and the reason for bbtb in the first place) is that your first assertion is completely incorrect.

The issue (and the reason for bbtb in the first place) is that your first assertion is completely incorrect.
How many times have we been rejected in the last 15 years? I can tell you the number, it is 0.

So as far as I'm concerned, we have enough support and a reasonable access to wear the PBs a reasonable amount already.

I think I've said this to you before, but you've missed the point of the campaign by a fair margin.

We're fighting for the right to wear it when we choose, and that's a very different, and much more important thing, than what home jumper we wear.

I actually agree with you that the PBs should be given a special status that we can use for special occasions. However, as it stands right now, we don't even have the right to do that without approval from Collingwood.

For reference, we applied to wear it more than once in 2020, but we're only wearing it once in 2020.
That's why #bringbackthebars exists and will continue to exist until this is no longer the case.

As Rucci said in a recent article, we should embrace the tradition of the guernsey we wear now.

Which was worn in such great moments as Gold Coast’s first win, 138, 165, multiple Showdown hidings, 3 finals for 0 wins, and a barely 50% winning record at Adelaide Oval.

As Rucci said in a recent article, we should embrace the tradition of the guernsey we wear now.

Which was worn in such great moments as Gold Coast’s first win, 138, 165, multiple Showdown hidings, 3 finals for 0 wins, and a barely 50% winning record at Adelaide Oval.
Let's be honest, we could've put superman capes on our guys for those games and the result wouldn't have changed.

Everyone's getting premature on our draftees from last year and this year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed rozee, butters and granny duurs this year, they were one of the few shining lights. But they were "promising" in my eyes rather than players that are gonna take the competition by storm. We have a demonstrated history of players going backwards, or at least not developing as expected after great first years. SPP went close to the rising star. Ollie wines has failed to develop into an A grader. Marshall is still in no man's land.

Our crop this year are very much an unknown quantity.

Let's wait and see how the coke zero guzzling idiot ruins them first.

Let's be honest, we could've put superman capes on our guys for those games and the result wouldn't have changed.

Sure, but this idea it’s become a garb worthy of retaining because ‘Power’ this and ‘next generation of fans’ that, is silly.

If we turfed it for this year’s training guernseys I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed rozee, butters and granny duurs this year, they were one of the few shining lights. But they were "promising" in my eyes rather than players that are gonna take the competition by storm. We have a demonstrated history of players going backwards, or at least not developing as expected after great first years. SPP went close to the rising star. Ollie wines has failed to develop into an A grader. Marshall is still in no man's land.

Exactly.

The smug prognostications from predictable circles that Polec, Wingard and Howard were human pentagrams sent from the sixth circle of Hades while Rozee/Butters/Duursma/Bergman+ are guaranteed superstars is comical.

Old mate would’ve turned Michael Jordan into Phil Smyth, or traded him to the 36’ers for magic beans.

Why though?

Why should I hold my excitement about 3 promising talents. To avoid disappointment?

If they fail they fail, but I am gonna enjoy it while they're hot and not let the coke guzzling idiot ruin everything.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The smug prognostications from predictable circles that Polec, Wingard and Howard were human pentagrams sent from the sixth circle of Hades while Rozee/Butters/Duursma/Bergman+ are guaranteed superstars is comical.

Old mate would’ve turned Michael Jordan into Phil Smyth, or traded him to the 36’ers for magic beans.
Yep, natural talent gets shown in the first year before Ken and his merry men slowly dismantle these players over time

I'm with ya. The PBs should remain for special occasions, but we've moved on from them and it was a small price to pay to enter the AFL. I actually think the #bringbackthebars campaign is embarrassing, and pointlessly divisive as we will not and should not ever wear the PBs as a home jumper in the AFL.

Well you're definitely in the correct thread

Exactly.

I'm just envisioning a beautiful alternate universe in which he's sitted at the presser with co-captains Scotty Pippen & Dennis Rodman saying "We've got a long way to go before we get to the level of the Utah Jazz"

Exactly.

I've got a good one for you: Chad Wingard is Christian Laettner. Unlimited potential that he lived up to early in his career but then fell off a cliff due to a poor mental disposition.

Rozee/Butters/Duursma/Bergman et al will be successful because they will put in the work. At some point, you've got to take responsibility for your own failure as a player and stop blaming other people.

Michael Jordan was Michael Jordan because he put in the work. Lebron James is Lebron James because he puts in the work. This is one of Lebron's individual training sessions:

1. Jump Rope - 30 seconds in place
2. Band work - Bodyweight band squats
3. Band Work - Rotational band corkscrew
4. Spot-up Jumpshot: Right Corner (15 foot) x 10 makes
5. Jump Rope - 30 seconds in place
6. Band Work - Body-weight Band Squat Alternate Lateral Resistance
7. Band Work - Stability Band Windmills
8. Spot-up Jumpshot: Right Wing (15 foot) x 10 makes
9. Jump Rope - 30 seconds in place
10. Band work - Reverse Band Squats
11. Band Work - Stability Band Windmills
12. Spot-up Jumpshot: Top of the key (15 foot) x 10 makes
13. Jump Rope - 30 seconds Forward / Backward
14. Band Work - Heavy-Band Terminal Knee Extensions (TKEs)
15. Band Work - Mini-band Pull Sets
16. Spot-up Jumpshot: Left Wing (15 foot) x 10 makes
17. Jump Rope - 30 seconds Forward / Backward
18. Band Work - Heavy-Band Terminal Knee Extensions (TKEs)
19. Band Work - Mini-band Pull Sets
20. Spot-up Jumpshot: Left Corner (15 foot) x 10 makes
21. Free Throws: 5 makes
22. 2-Dribble Pull-up Jumpshot: Right Wing - right/left x 4 makes
23. 2-Dribble Pull-up Jumpshot: Top of the Key - right/left x 4 makes
24. 2-Dribble Pull-up Jumpshot: Left Wing - right/left x 4 makes
25. Free Throws: 5 makes
26. Running Hook Shot: Left Block x 5 makes
27. Fadeaway Left Shoulder: Left Block x 5 makes
28. Fadeaway Right Shoulder: Left Block x 5 makes
29. Fadeaway Right Shoulder: Right Block x 5 makes
30. Fadeaway Left Shoulder: Right Block x 5 makes
31. Up & Under: Right Block x 5 makes
32. Free Throws: 5 makes
33. 3-Point Spot-up JumpShot: Right Corner x 6 makes
34. 3-Point Spot-up JumpShot: Right Wing x 6 makes
35. 3-Point Spot-up JumpShot: Top of the Key x 6 makes
36. 3-Point Spot-up JumpShot: Left Wing x 6 makes
37. 3-Point Spot-up JumpShot: Left Corner x 6 makes
38. Free Throws: 15 makes
39. Flexibility Training for Recovery

Can you imagine Chad doing this? I can't. But keep believing that it's all just talent and these guys don't work their ass off for what they have.

Can you imagine Chad doing this? I can't. But keep believing that it's all just talent and these guys don't work their ass off for what they have.

Yeah, it’s not like he bounced back from a limited preseason with soft tissue issues to be best on ground against the reigning premier in Perth in Round 23 as a pure midfielder or anything.

How many times have we been rejected in the last 15 years? I can tell you the number, it is 0.

So as far as I'm concerned, we have enough support and a reasonable access to wear the PBs a reasonable amount already.

I can assure you it is a lot more than that AND THE FIGHT TO WEAR IT THIS YEAR WAS A FAAAAR FROM FOREGONE CONCLUSION!

I can assure you it is a lot more than that AND THE FIGHT TO WEAR IT THIS YEAR WAS A FAAAAR FROM FOREGONE CONCLUSION!

Off the top of my head, there was the infamous brouhaha due to the 80’s Heritage Round in 2006 where Gillon McLachlan suggested we wear a training strip, so we boycotted, with a ridiculous ‘HERITAGE ROUND’ shield on our usual away guernsey as we went down to the Saints in Tasmania (Motlop missed after the siren).

And we wanted to wear the PB’s against Carlton in 2014 to honour the 100 year anniversary of the invincible season that culminated with us rolling the Blues.

Off the top of my head, there was the infamous brouhaha due to the 80’s Heritage Round in 2006 where Gillon McLachlan suggested we wear a training strip, so we boycotted, with a ridiculous ‘HERITAGE ROUND’ shield on our usual away guernsey as we went down to the Saints in Tasmania (Motlop missed after the siren).

And we wanted to wear the PB’s against Carlton in 2014 to honour the 100 year anniversary of the invincible season that culminated with us rolling the Blues.
It's pretty much something we try to do every year in some form, but are always told never again and there is an almighty battle required for every event.

We absolutely wanted to wear it more than once this year, but it was not going to be allowed. Cookbook is waaaay off in saying we wear it when we like.

It's pretty much something we try to do every year in some form, but are always told never again and there is an almighty battle required for every event.

We absolutely wanted to wear it more than once this year, but it was not going to be allowed. Cookbook is waaaay off in saying we wear it when we like.

I feel like from a strategic point of view we really dropped the ball in 2014.

To be denied the bars, then be randomly permitted to wear them — in a nationally-televised final featuring a Victorian powerhouse no less — really was the rationale needed to push through a logical, workable agreement once and for all.

Instead we shat out the teal monstrosity and that were that.

We've been rejected twice in the last year alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back