Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/arsen...are-too-reliant-on-waiting-for-unwanted-stars

Thought this was pretty spot on. I recall the AKBs continuing to say wait for the Pogba deal to be finalised, and then there'll be a domino effect.

Before that, they were saying to wair for the Euros to finish, then it will all happen. Neither have eventuated thus far.

Wenger's habit of waiting till the last minute in the window is a high risk high reward strategy. You can get a player like Ozil late on or you can end up with nothing.

Its a hell of gamble to play when there are glaring deficiencies in the squad.

And games of football are being won by our rivals who have had their squads ready, and prepared, for the season which commences two weeks before Wenger tries to make a big move in the market.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/arsen...are-too-reliant-on-waiting-for-unwanted-stars

Thought this was pretty spot on. I recall the AKBs continuing to say wait for the Pogba deal to be finalised, and then there'll be a domino effect.

Before that, they were saying to wair for the Euros to finish, then it will all happen. Neither have eventuated thus far.

Wenger's habit of waiting till the last minute in the window is a high risk high reward strategy. You can get a player like Ozil late on or you can end up with nothing.

And games of football are being won by our rivals who have had their squads ready, and prepared, for the season which commences two weeks before Wenger tries to make a big move in the market.

Yep, I'm one of those that expected the domino effect forgetting the only really likely trickle down was that players were all of a sudden worth more. Good article though. Saying that we had Xhaka and Cech signed early in their windows but if there was late bargains to be had they would have been had by now. No big protracted deal seems to be in play at the moment.

Did notice that ESPN also reckon that we might be back in for Kostas Manolas since Roma lost to Porto and were knocked out of the CL (fire sale for lost revenue they say which doesn't quite make sense to me). It feels like we've gone full circle if that is the case but silver lining is that Manolas would be a fantastic acquisition and the hope is we've developed a decent relationship with Roma with Woz being there.

By that logic someone like James or Bony could be a possibility. I'll believe it when I see it though. I just wish Wenger wouldn't lie in the media so much, he has eroded pretty much all public support he had.

Yep, I'm one of those that expected the domino effect forgetting the only really likely trickle down was that players were all of a sudden worth more. Good article though. Saying that we had Xhaka and Cech signed early in their windows but if there was late bargains to be had they would have been had by now. No big protracted deal seems to be in play at the moment.

Did notice that ESPN also reckon that we might be back in for Kostas Manolas since Roma lost to Porto and were knocked out of the CL (fire sale for lost revenue they say which doesn't quite make sense to me). It feels like we've gone full circle if that is the case but silver lining is that Manolas would be a fantastic acquisition and the hope is we've developed a decent relationship with Roma with Woz being there.

Yes I read that too. I guess we are just being linked with any centre half out there, it's no secret we're in dire need of on. Not sure how true the rumours on Manolas really are.

But at this point, there's every chance Holding is already the new centre half we all think we're signing.

By that logic someone like James or Bony could be a possibility. I'll believe it when I see it though. I just wish Wenger wouldn't lie in the media so much, he has eroded pretty much all public support he had.

Bony is a proven PL goal scorer, would be fine with that. It would be a classic Wenger move though to ignore the critical needs of a striker and defender and instead buy another AM in James though.

His ongoing moaning about the difficulty of today's transfer market is tiresome. And it reflects such a loser's mentality.

A winner makes their own luck. And makes things happen. A loser is reactive and blames outside forces to mask over their own failures.

The AKBs try and convince you that we're a victim of the current market conditions. However, they conveniently ignore the pattern in the last 5,6 or 7 seasons.

Year after year, Wenger fails to have the squad ready, assembled and prepared for the new campaign.

Our opening results speak for themselves.

Year after year, we are behind the eight ball, have one hand tied behind our back and then play catch up to the real teams who genuinely aim to win the title.

It's not just this year. It's a pattern.

For a man tasked with preparing the team to challenge on a number of fronts, he is grossly negligent. Indefensible. And incompetent.

Manolas would be a great pick up IMO, young but has alot of experience and is a solid defender. Will be fairly expensive though i would have thought.

If we go through to the transfer window without another KEY signing, or possibly even 2, we are no chance of making champions league, let alone winning the league.

Does anybody read the FB commnets on Arseblog?

There was an article about Stan, and people were absolutely going to town on him. The more I read, the harder it was to disagree.
Yeah, interesting reading.

Even on social media - 90% of comments on Arsenal's Facebook page are scathing criticisms. Then you consider things like the away fans chanting at Leicester. It's never been this bad before, but it's all warranted.

• Manchester United are set to reject any offer from Arsenal for Phil Jones - because Jose Mourinho doesn't want to do business with Arsene Wenger. (London Evening Standard)
Just something I noticed perusing the Sky Transfer Centre...

You do wonder, even with a new manager in place, would the club allow the funds to be spent?

We know Stan uses the club as a cash cow, and if a new manager comes in and wants to blow 150m of his money (Stan's), on players, is that something he would really want?

Big shame David Dein and Wenger fell out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take Sahko from Liverpool, but I don't reckon they would sell him to us.

Mangala also seems to be available, but it's not often rival PL clubs do business with each other.

RvP to United, Mata to United, I can't recall too many more in recent years. I'm not counting Silvestre.

Perhaps City would be a bit more favourable to Arsenal after those early years of feeding them.

Last edited:
I would take Sahko from Liverpool, but I don't reckon they would sell him to us.
At least with Klopp in charge (who openly idolises Wenger) we won't have the manager blocking any potential moves ala Mourinho.

• Manchester United are set to reject any offer from Arsenal for Phil Jones - because Jose Mourinho doesn't want to do business with Arsene Wenger. (London Evening Standard)
Just something I noticed perusing the Sky Transfer Centre...
That's not in the least bit surprising.

It seems like, in the next 24 hours or so, we'll have Lucas Perez and, possibly, Mustafi.

A striker, centre mid and centre back in the window is good business... but it doesn't match the ambition of our rivals.

It seems like, in the next 24 hours or so, we'll have Lucas Perez and, possibly, Mustafi.

A striker, centre mid and centre back in the window is good business... but it doesn't match the ambition of our rivals.

Perez looks like he had a decent season for a lowly club last season so certainly will be interesting to see what he can do with more supply (should it eventuate). Pretty sure Leicester were into him early. Looks like he'd come at a bargain price too so you'd have to wonder if there are plans to also add elsewhere (wing for example).

You do wonder, even with a new manager in place, would the club allow the funds to be spent?

We know Stan uses the club as a cash cow, and if a new manager comes in and wants to blow 150m of his money (Stan's), on players, is that something he would really want?

Big shame David Dein and Wenger fell out.

The money is there to be spent. Stan is just king AKB. If you look at the rate of inflation of transfer prices, you are pretty much burning money by hoarding cash reserves, much better off investing in players even if some of them flop. This is a pretty interesting read in regards to transfer inflation, although it was written last summer before Leicester.

Perez looks like he had a decent season for a lowly club last season so certainly will be interesting to see what he can do with more supply (should it eventuate). Pretty sure Leicester were into him early. Looks like he'd come at a bargain price too so you'd have to wonder if there are plans to also add elsewhere (wing for example).
We were. Although it's safer to say Walsh was a fan, Everton also strongly linked now as well.

Word is we could be signing Omar Toprak after Leverkusen signed Dragovic. Would be a good get.

He's a good player. But clearly Mustafi was seen as our first priority, and he's 4 years younger than Toprak so is far more suitable (both as an immediate Mert replacement & a medium-long term CB).

Toprak would be a classic 6/10 Wenger signing (think Arteta and Gallas). He'd get props for actually signing a player who fills a short-term need, but Mustafi + Xhaka + Lacazette/Griezmann would've represented genuine investment both in class players for now and the future - i.e. a ******* awesome transfer period.

Still very confident Mustafi will get done, but it would be classic Wenger to rush Toprak and a B-grade striker in with a couple of days left. Would be better than nothing - but meh.

Last edited:
He's a good player. But clearly Mustafi was seen as our first priority, and he's 4 years younger than Toprak so is far more suitable (both as an immediate Mert replacement & a medium-long term CB).

Toprak would be a classic 6/10 Wenger signing (think Arteta and Gallas). He'd get props for actually signing a player who fills a short-term need, but Mustafi + Xhaka + Lacazette/Griezmann would've represented genuine investment both in class players for now and the future - i.e. a ******* awesome transfer period.

Still very confident Mustafi will get done, but it would be classic Wenger to rush Toprak and a B-grade striker in with a couple of days left. Would be better than nothing - but meh.
Yeah I'd much rather Mustafi but I still think Toprak would be good. We do always seem to be planning for the future rather than sign players for now though and I feel like he could be a good acquisition for now especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back