Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do we really want or need Ben White? Do we have the cash to spend £40+ million on him? + Have still have money to bring others in like a cm ECT?

Last edited:
Do we really want or need Ben White? Do we have the cash to spend £40+ million on him? + Have still have money to bring others in like a cm ECT?

The Ben White purchase is the type of thing that’s “nice to have”, and would make more sense if it came after we’ve taken care of a CM, LB, GK (potentiality 2), a 10 etc etc.

Going so hard at him early in the window probably means the budget is way higher than we think. Plus with staggered payment plans, it may not be a huge initial outlay. We’ve probably got some other sales lined up too that just need to be formalised in due course.

But yes, it is an interesting development and not sure what it means for Saliba (or even Holding/Chambers perhaps).

It would be a desperate roll of the dice if we really did spend that much money. Financially the club was hurt bad during COVID, on top of diminishing revenue (no CL primarily) and poor spending on players and not generating much value from sales.

Unlike the Wenger era, the club no longer has £200m in cash reserves. Any money spent on players will need to be debt funded, the owner are chipping in nothing. To spend £250m this window would put an enormous amount of debt on the club, which I imagine they would expect would be serviced by future Champions League income, both TV and gate receipts.

Risky proposition. If that sort of spending doesn't immediately result in a return to the CL, club could be in real trouble.

If we’re willing to spend £50m on Ben White, then we must have a shitload more money earmarked for usage in the priority areas of the squad. Not sure it will be upwards of £200m or whatever, that just doesn’t seem feasible. We’ve used our resources very poorly the last few years so who knows really.

The £120m Bank of England loan was replaced by a Barclay’s facility during May. My understanding was that was mostly a facility to be utilised for cashflow, unsure how much of it is available for instalments/acquisition of new players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other consideration is the club still owes shedloads from previous transfers. My recollection is the Pepe fee was payable over four years, so we theoretically still owe half of his fee.

Yes I was going to mention that before.
From memory, €20m is this years instalment for Pepe. Next year (year 4) is when that will be paid off. One hell of a hefty fee, which unfortunately for him will always be in the equation when assessing his form/progress.

Assume a few are gone to fund the incoming. Hopefully. As much as I'd like us to spend a lot, I'm not a fan of clubs just accumulating debt, especially when the owners aren't willing to chip in substantially.

£60m+ interest in Maddison too (although can’t see Leicester selling to Arsenal). Very interesting to see how many of these deals actually happen.

Mavrapanos to Stuttgart for £7m expecting to be completed soon. Have always been a fan of his however were stocked at centre half, and can’t help but feel that fee is a little unders if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back