VFL VFL 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers
How’d he go ?
He played well, his speed out of a contest is impressive at that level. I’m still a strong believer in he will be a long term VFL footballer and not make that jump to being a consistent afl player.
Which there’s nothing wrong with that, there’s plenty of great VFL servants

Any takes on SDK Taheny Evans Stephen Schlensog Tarca Jarvis Brownless any thoughts on these players? how they went
There are posts further back but briefly on one viewing.

SDK a standout for me. Classy and smart.
Schlensog improving will hold down a KP in VFL this year I think
Jarvis was good. Two big marks in a crowd and a couple of others including a nice lead. Strong kick
Stephen didn't get much I could see early but got going late.
Brownless was quite good. More involved than last year. Still a kid.
Tarca and Taheny I didn't notice much but Calder daddy was there (more observant than me!) and he posted:

I thought he [Constable] was good, again good but not a stand out, lands some hard tackles and rewarded for all his effort.
Watching that though you can understand why he didn’t get a gig in the seniors.
On Evans it took me about half a quarter to figure out which one was him, I also thought Tarca was that tough little annoying forward who did some nice things before he hurt his shoulder

Evans (the draft bolter) did a few nice things but looked like he was just getting used to playing real opposition

Last edited:
We apparently have a VFL practice match on Friday night - anyone know anything about it such as where & when

I know we have an AFLW match against North at GMHBA on Friday night (7:10pm start time) - so wondering if it's before that match or being played elsewhere

Cheers

Any takes on SDK Taheny Evans Stephen Schlensog Tarca Jarvis Brownless any thoughts on these players? how they went

SDK has a lot of talent, very excited by him.
So agile when it hits the ground and laid some good tackles, didn’t take any marks like posted on the GFC social media a few weeks back but a few marks he took by using his brain by playing in front when Essendon were going into the wind.

Taheny in my opinion probably looked most likely to make an impact at AFL level from this years draftees” if given the chance, a beautiful left foot kick, took quite a few strong marks.
His only blemish was trying to take on Mosquito when he was on the mark and got tackled HTB.

Evans started slow but really worked into the game with arguably the best 2 goals of the day

Stephens already has the core strength of an AFL player and always wanted the ball, whether it be on the ground of grabbing a spoil cleanly out of mid air.
Did a few good chase down tackles and seemed to always be in a good spot and not far from the footy.

Tarca, as mentioned in another page, he started well. Very strong for a little bloke and looked to thrive on the hunt.
Seemed a little lippy which I love but unfortunately hurt his shoulder so that was the end of his day.

Jarvis took many good marks and could’ve easily kicked 3 but one hit the post last in the game. I was right behind him and his kicking action is very fluent and straight.
A few of his marks he actually looked out of position and protected the drop of the ball, still very undersized but a lot to work with.

Brownless for me was probably my biggest highlight from being there, his outside run mixed with his inside attack on the footy really impressed me.

Schlensog was good in patches, read the ball well in the air and played a nice backmans game, after the game I actually walked past him and couldn’t believe how big he was. His body has already grown so much in 2 pre seasons so I’m hoping he get another contract and continues to develop but plenty of upside.

All in all I thought all our draftees from this year and last were fantastic in different ways, heaps of positives considering EFC had McKenna, Cutler, Begley running around

So agile when it hits the ground and laid some good tackles, didn’t take any marks like posted on the GFC social media a few weeks back but a few marks he took by using his brain by playing in front when Essendon were going into the wind.

Taheny in my opinion probably looked most likely to make an impact at AFL level from this years draftees” if given the chance, a beautiful left foot kick, took quite a few strong marks.
His only blemish was trying to take on Mosquito when he was on the mark and got tackled HTB.

Evans started slow but really worked into the game with arguably the best 2 goals of the day

Stephens already has the core strength of an AFL player and always wanted the ball, whether it be on the ground of grabbing a spoil cleanly out of mid air.
Did a few good chase down tackles and seemed to always be in a good spot and not far from the footy.

Tarca, as mentioned in another page, he started well. Very strong for a little bloke and looked to thrive on the hunt.
Seemed a little lippy which I love but unfortunately hurt his shoulder so that was the end of his day.

Jarvis took many good marks and could’ve easily kicked 3 but one hit the post last in the game. I was right behind him and his kicking action is very fluent and straight.
A few of his marks he actually looked out of position and protected the drop of the ball, still very undersized but a lot to work with.

Brownless for me was probably my biggest highlight from being there, his outside run mixed with his inside attack on the footy really impressed me.

Schlensog was good in patches, read the ball well in the air and played a nice backmans game, after the game I actually walked past him and couldn’t believe how big he was. His body has already grown so much in 2 pre seasons so I’m hoping he get another contract and continues to develop but plenty of upside.

All in all I thought all our draftees from this year and last were fantastic in different ways, heaps of positives considering EFC had McKenna, Cutler, Begley running around

Great post - thanks CD.

Whilst only a pre-season VFL game, this is encouraging. Still a bit of a physical ‘jump’ from TAC and you couldn’t expect much more from the 1st year players.

Incidentally- who rucked for GFC and how did they go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had a few different rucks for the day and I was most impressed with #65 Kyle Reid. Tough bastard

Was very good in the back half of the year for St Mary's after a very quiet start to the season. An old fashioned Centre Half Back / Centre Half Forward type who has a bright future. Don't think I will see a lot of him in the GFL this year.

Thanks for that always good to read what other people look for in young players very good

They had a few different rucks for the day and I was most impressed with #65 Kyle Reid. Tough bastard
I was impressed in his draft year evidently towelled up pretty well all comers for Gipps Power at CHB.
Was wrapped he was given a life line by Geelong, was on a short list considered very unlucky not to be drafted.
Seriously worth watching this guy.
That's 3 big Key youngsters, SDK, Schlensog and Reid. ...Great!
Second yearers and the draftees showing a bit, could be a good year for VFL.

Last edited:
Benny in KROCK in the pregame said it was the first time he’s seen SDK and he relayed that he saw glimpses.. or flashes even... of the talent that got him selected. Needs a lot more physical development but was great below the knees, athletic and reads the okay very well. Again however - slow burn on him.
Go Catters

Wanted to see how Angus Byrne went too.. was a mountain man last year that flashed ... didn’t hear anything from colac about him

Go Catters

There are posts further back but briefly on one viewing.

SDK a standout for me. Classy and smart.
Schlensog improving will hold down a KP in VFL this year I think
Jarvis was good. Two big marks in a crowd and a couple of others including a nice lead. Strong kick
Stephen didn't get much I could see early but got going late.
Brownless was quite good. More involved than last year. Still a kid.
Tarca and Taheny I didn't notice much but Calder daddy was there (more observant than me!) and he posted:

Evans (the draft bolter) did a few nice things but looked like he was just getting used to playing real opposition

I was an advocate for him being drafted but thought something in the 20's might have been more his value but thats that conundrum of the draft in that you do not pay what a player is worth , you pick with the best guess of whether the player you want will be there at you next pick and in the end of the day the picks used as a group deliever a group of players.. one has decide what you mst walk away with , say an inside mid , a tall defender etc etc.

So far what im reading , the pick used with slowly be less important and having on our list will be gradually more appreciated. There is always a regret , why could we have had a Robertson or who ever.. but again thats the draft. At his height , it would be quite normal for him to give little in 2020.

If Schlensog can give us something he will be a bonus.

It still seems to me that a young ruck is the obvious hole in our young development group

Last edited:
I wanted SDK in draft after nationals could see he was going to be a player yet some still said he looked like nothing...I am just glad I was on him before he has done anything

SDK looks to be filling out a bit as well as has Schlensog, Reid's just a rock, so things are looking good with new talls.

Wanted to see how Angus Byrne went too.. was a mountain man last year that flashed ... didn’t hear anything from colac about him

Go Catters
Played second half but didn't do much I saw. I did see one VFL game he played and he was very good (2019). Hope he gets more time this year. Solid unit.

Reid played ruck mainly first Q I think. Then a GFL ruck (plays for Colac according to the local next to me). In second half No.s 72 and 73 took over. 73 ( who?) Looked OK with good leap but undersized for AFL- would guess 197cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back