News VFL Development League to finish up end 2017 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Done deal :(

http://vfl.com.au/developmentleague/

"Development League to come to a close
The AFL Victoria Board has ratified the recommendation to end the Development League from next season onwards. The decision has been made with a focus on the longer-term future of the Peter Jackson VFL competition.

AFL Victoria Chief Executive Officer Steven Reaper said several factors had been looked at before making the final decision to end the Development League.

“Pressures on clubs have been mounting over a number of years, both financially and from an administration perspective, relating to the Development League,” Reaper said."

$1 million dollars a year to run.

VFL competition to expand with North Melb, Werribee and maybe Frankston to join the existing 14 teams.

Box Hill players not selected including Hawthorn players will now have to play local football.

Where does this figure came from and what does it actually represent?

And who is playing this cost?

Is this the amount it costs the AFL through its glove puppet AFL Victoria to run the league i.e. provide the umpires etc..?

If so that is a piddling amount to pay for the benefits that flow back to football in general from having a pathway and giving the DS a taste of a professional environment before taking this knowledge and experience back to their local leagues after that have finished their time at BH.

This is clearly part of the AFL's a to promote women's footy by trashing the DS and hence weakening local men's footy.

The real VFL clubs like BH don't want the DS removed just to create and artificial audience for the VFL women's competition.

the AFL is hell bent on destroying footy culture and the sport in Victoria at every opportunity and they have been remarkably effective in killing every other rival competition other than their own.

Absolute vermin!

Who here can remember the 70's when there were 24 odd VFL teams in two divisions fielding three sides each seniors, reserves and U19's, while at the same time the 12 VFL did eth same. Additional a lot of these VFL cubs have their underage levels playing locally.

And what is left of all of that? Port, Willi, Coburg, Frangers temporarily defunct, and a few aligned clubs BH, Werribee, Casey, & Sandy, and the new basket case club Nth Ballarat?

That is a truly staggering drop in participation and if you combine that with what has happened to country footy it betokens a huge secular decline in the sport.

What is the future of any sport if people don't play it?

Participation is the life blood of any sport and without it the sports slowly dies.

Who here can remember the 70's when there were 24 odd VFL teams in two divisions fielding three sides each seniors, reserves and U19's, while at the same time the 12 VFL did eth same. Additional a lot of these VFL cubs have their underage levels playing locally.

And what is left of all of that? Port, Willi, Coburg, Frangers temporarily defunct, and a few aligned clubs BH, Werribee, Casey, & Sandy, and the new basket case club Nth Ballarat?
Yeah, I remember - what happened to Oakleigh, Yarraville, Sunshine, Mordialloc, Prahran, Northcote etc? (Don't care about Geelong West).

Really need to re-establish AFL Reserves. Allow the clubs to be masters of their won fate and nurture their own future stars. Allow each list to increase to 60 players and increase cap space accordingly. Give back some of the cash generated by TV rights.

Yeah, I remember - what happened to Oakleigh, Yarraville, Sunshine, Mordialloc, Prahran, Northcote etc? (Don't care about Geelong West).

Really need to re-establish AFL Reserves. Allow the clubs to be masters of their won fate and nurture their own future stars. Allow each list to increase to 60 players and increase cap space accordingly. Give back some of the cash generated by TV rights.

That is a crux of the matter.

The VFL/AFL verminous filth has sucked out every available dollar from the sport and kept it for its own self aggrandisement.

Remember when country footy and even the WAFL and SNAFL were healthy because some money flowed back to it via transfer fees for players?.

When the financial balance was more equitable and VFL players were not so absurdly overpaid, country footy had the money to lure players who were at the end of their careers or who weren't that good up the bush for a few years of captain coaching and that helped raise the standard and interest in the stronger bush leagues and help launch VFL coaching careers e.g. Hafey.

It was a far less professional system but it was far more inclusive (in the true sense of the word not in the debased idiotic leftist-feminist way) and made the sport far healthier in every way.

Now we just have one elite pathway tot he AFL and if kids don't make at 18 then tough luck. We have local footy dying everywhere. We have the AFL consuming an obscene share of the available footballing dollar and pissing away a large chunk of that that away on some +700 professional footballers of whom half only last a 4-5 year or less, with maybe a dozen players sucking up around a million a year next year and perhaps at the top 6 or so at each club consuming a quarter of each club's salary cap.

And so like any good free market capitalist system the fattest pigs get their snouts in the trough and push everyone else out of the way and ultimately, slowly destroy the structures that support and systems that sustain them (this is more a general feature human activity wrt their environment).

Last edited:

Don't forget Camberwell, arupist. Went defunct back in the 90s, after a Hawthorn like start back in the 20s, wins few and far between, losses aplenty.

Back in 1957, if you weren't good enough to get onto the Hawthorn under 18 list, they would encourage you to try Camberwell, where at least you would get a game of footy. Had something to do with the problem they had getting enough players to field a team, not your ability.

Don't forget Camberwell, arupist. Went defunct back in the 90s, after a Hawthorn like start back in the 20s, wins few and far between, losses aplenty.

Back in 1957, if you weren't good enough to get onto the Hawthorn under 18 list, they would encourage you to try Camberwell, where at least you would get a game of footy. Had something to do with the problem they had getting enough players to field a team, not your ability.

I remember Camberwell. They were my VFA team in first division because Box Hill were back in second division when I first started following footy. Didn't follow them closely though but I seem to remember one or two old Hawks playing for them but I can't remember the names (this would have been in the 80s). Campbell is ringing a bell...

I think it stinks that the AFL are happy to spend millions on things like putting AFL teams in NSW and Qld and setting up a women's league but they won't support the Development League.

I remember Camberwell. They were my VFA team in first division because Box Hill were back in second division when I first started following footy. Didn't follow them closely though but I seem to remember one or two old Hawks playing for them but I can't remember the names (this would have been in the 80s). Campbell is ringing a bell...

I think it stinks that the AFL are happy to spend millions on things like putting AFL teams in NSW and Qld and setting up a women's league but they won't support the Development League.
Yet they talk about "grass roots" football. Doesn't make sense, but not mush that comes out of A.F.L. House does, doe's it?

Last edited:

We recruited Terry Wallace from Camberwell!
Ita a crying shame the dev comp is going and l don't think its just a coincidence with the arrival of women's footy.
The afl want exposure for the women so they now will get the curtain raiser gig to vfl games. Too much for the afl
to cater for both comps and another terrible decision in a long line of terrible decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back