Preview VFLW Rd 5 - Richmond v Essendon @ Punt Road Oval, 4pm Saturday 2nd June

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
This Saturday before the Dreamtime Game at the MCG, the VFLW Tigers take on the Bombers at Punt Road Oval, with the first bounce at 4pm.

There will be an indigenous ceremony ten minutes before the first bounce, and the player of the match will receive the 'Aunty Joy Murphy Medal' (Wurundjeri Elder) post match.

The match will also be broadcast on digital radio via RSN Carnival, the RSN Racing & Sport app, plus via the website at rsn.net.au/digital-radio - For those at the game, listen via 89.1 FM (at ground only).

Richmond enter this game with a 1-3 record from four games, losing to Williamstown last week.
Essendon enter the game with a 0-4 record from four games, losing to the Saints last week.

Current or former AFLW players in BOLD.

Richmond

B: 84. L. Bieniara, 77. J. Hocking, 69. E. Burry

HB: 73. L. Davie, 63. J. Graham, 70. E. Findlay

C: 75. B. Lynch, 76. E. Ross, 55. C. Wakefield

HF: 53. K. Dixon, 64. E. Gunn, 57. E. King

F: 66. A. Barden, 79. L. Tesoriero, 61. J. Colwell

R: 88. P. Monahan, 83. J. Gardner, 51. J. Kennedy

Int: 82. G. Bibby, 68. A. Edmonds, 71. L. Stephenson, 59. A. Woodward

23P: 89. G. Egan

Emg: 86. N. Clarke, 80. J. Louttit, 62. T. Muller, 58. C. Musico

Essendon

B: 20. J. Anwyl, 23. L. Morecroft, 15. L. Caruso

HB: 27. A. Morcom, 7. K. Hicks, 25. R. Neaves

C: 44. M. Collier, 8. H. Bullas, 46. C. Ugle

HF: 35. V. Moreau, 18. K. Heil, 43. D. Ponter

F: 4. N. Hardy, 6. A. Quigley, 32. T. Mackrill

R: 30. S. Nalder, 9. L. Williams, 37. I. Malliaras

Int: 14. J. Barker, 12. B. Kearney, 22. N. MacDonald, 1. J. Trend

23P: 49. E. Bult

Emg: 3. M. DeMatteo, 47. I. Farchione, 26. A. Madden, 28. C. Portlock

I hope that the ladies kick butt. I find it interesting that the AFLW has been so successful. But there is a fairly shallow player pool right now. Things like being part of an AFL club for a period will improve that talent pool at the top end. It's a long delay whilst thousands of girls playing juniors turn into women.

Anyway. I'd love to be able to see some of the game. Do they have any footage that will be available?

I hope that the ladies kick butt. I find it interesting that the AFLW has been so successful. But there is a fairly shallow player pool right now. Things like being part of an AFL club for a period will improve that talent pool at the top end. It's a long delay whilst thousands of girls playing juniors turn into women.

Anyway. I'd love to be able to see some of the game. Do they have any footage that will be available?

For whatever reason they never seem to put up the full game (except if it's the VFL's streamed game of the week), but there's usually some highlights mixed in with the interview with the coach post-match on the Tigers website. Sometime on Monday or Tuesday the VFL puts up a 3 minutes highlight package for each game.

The lowest number is 51.
Why are the jumper numbers so high?

I've noticed this as well.

2 guesses.

a) They've made a decision not to overlap with the AFL/VFL plays so every player for the club has their own, unique, number.

b) They could be holding the low numbers for when we get a AFLW team.

While I think 'a' is a nice idea, it wont be able to continue when we get an AFLW team (4 teams will require > 100 numbers) so I suspect it's 'b'.

Last edited:
I've noticed this as well.

2 guesses.

a) They've made a decision not to overlap with the AFL/VFL plays so every player for the club has their own, unique, number.

b) They could be holding the low numbers for when we get a AFLW team.

While I think 'a' is a nice idea, it wont be able to continue when we get an AFLW team (4 teams will require > 100 numbers) so I suspect it's 'b'.
I think you’re right , every player carries a unique number

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back