Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Daylight Saving Party formed to push for fifth Western Australian referendum

By Emma Wynne Posted about an hour ago

Western Australians have rejected daylight saving at the ballot box four times since 1975, but a Perth man is hoping to reignite the debate by running in next year's state election.

Wilson Tucker has formed the Daylight Saving Party and intends to run for the Legislative Council next March.

"We want to just challenge the current policy from the previous generation and just re-engage in the conversation," Mr Tucker told 720 ABC Perth.

A fifth referendum?

Daylight saving was voted down in referendums in 1975, 1984, 1992 and 2009.

The 2009 poll, which was preceded by a three-year trial of daylight saving in Western Australia, recorded the highest-ever negative vote of all of the referendums — with 54 per cent voting against it.

Opposition was the strongest in regional areas and Perth's outer suburbs.

Following the referendum, Premier Colin Barnett declared that the issue was off the table for at least another 20 years.

But Mr Tucker said in the seven years since that vote there had been a generational shift in the population and he is confident that if another referendum were held it would be successful.

"It's time to have that conversation again," he said.

"This has really come about from talking to people around the Perth metro area.

"Within my social circle, people just wanted more time in the evenings to enjoy themselves.

"In summertime the sun is up very early, no-one is maximising their time, so it's really aligning the time with people's recreational hours.

"We also have a lot of business members in the community who engage with the east coast and currently they have daylight saving time, so there is a three-hour difference," he added.

Fervent divide

The strength of views on either side of the debate still run high.

"If that clown wants more daylight tell him to get out of bed earlier," one 720 ABC Perth listener said via SMS.

"Why doesn't Tucker rearrange his lifestyle and not ask me to alter mine?" another said.

"I live in Kalgoorlie and daylight saving just makes long, hot summer days longer. This bloke hasn't got a clue and is totally self-interested," Ted said.

But people in favour Mr Tucker's viewpoint were equally impassioned.

"I love daylight saving — it doesn't increase the amount of sunshine, it just makes business easier and long evenings. Kids adapt I did as a kid and I'm 60 now," Di said.

"Ask yourself how many people in our community use a park at 4am or 7pm. It is a no brainer," Karl said.

Alternative options

For a few, however, there could be a possibility of compromise.

"What about daylight saving for three months from October to December for the joyous mild evenings of spring/early summer?" Fiona suggested.

"Then turn off daylight saving from January to March in the horrid hot months and to get kids to sleep."

"Left field thought — daylight saving in winter," Mary said.

"That gives some daylight at the end of the day rather than darkness at both ends."

The Western Australia's state election will be held on March 11, 2017.

"We are a grassroots party, we started from nothing, we achieved a lot of support very quickly and it really is just about starting the conversation and hopefully making it an election issue," Mr Tucker said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...ty-western-australia-fifth-referendum/7983710

Wilson Tucker.

2jcihc4.gif~c200

Give it a rest. I like daylight savings and would vote for it again, but it's just not that big an issue, we already get more sunlight than most other major cities, so the need for it is less pressing. Seven years is not enough time for generational change.

I WANT DAYLIGHT SAVING IN WA DURING THE AUTUMN /WINTER PERIOD.

WE DO NOT NEED IT IN SUMMER, I WAS WAITING FOR PAST 7PM EVEN LATER IN THE HIGH SUMMER WHEN WE HAD IT HERE, BECAUSE IT IS STILL TOO HOT TO GO OUT AND START THE BARBQUE. SOMETIMES EVEN 8PM IS STILL STINKING HOT , SO IN DAYLIGHT SAVING ITS REALLY 7PM.
DON'T CARE WHO AGREES OR DISAGREES BUT IF YOU WANT SOME OUTDOORS TIME IN PERTH YOU GET IT FOR MANY MORE HOURS THAN THE COOLER PARTS OF THE EVENING STARTING THE COOLER PART OF THE EVENING LATER DOESN'T HELP IF YOUR WORKING AND NORMAL ARRANGEMENTS FIT THE CLOCK THE SAME AS WHEN DAYLIGHT SAVING ISN'T ON.

DAYLIGHT SAVING IN SUMMER IN PERTH IS, WELL, NOT NEEDED.
BECAUSE WE HAVE TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF SUNSHINE HERE.

AUTUMN / WINTER, IS THE GO, C'MON YOU SANDGROPERS GET ON BOARD, YOU'VE STOLEN OUR CHAMPION MID FIELDER FROM HAWKS TO EAGLES, AT LEAST YOU COULD GIVE US SOME LONGER DAYTIME IN WINTER!!!

I WANT DAYLIGHT SAVING IN WA DURING THE AUTUMN /WINTER PERIOD.

WE DO NOT NEED IT IN SUMMER, I WAS WAITING FOR PAST 7PM EVEN LATER IN THE HIGH SUMMER WHEN WE HAD IT HERE, BECAUSE IT IS STILL TOO HOT TO GO OUT AND START THE BARBQUE. SOMETIMES EVEN 8PM IS STILL STINKING HOT , SO IN DAYLIGHT SAVING ITS REALLY 7PM.
DON'T CARE WHO AGREES OR DISAGREES BUT IF YOU WANT SOME OUTDOORS TIME IN PERTH YOU GET IT FOR MANY MORE HOURS THAN THE COOLER PARTS OF THE EVENING STARTING THE COOLER PART OF THE EVENING LATER DOESN'T HELP IF YOUR WORKING AND NORMAL ARRANGEMENTS FIT THE CLOCK THE SAME AS WHEN DAYLIGHT SAVING ISN'T ON.

DAYLIGHT SAVING IN SUMMER IN PERTH IS, WELL, NOT NEEDED.
BECAUSE WE HAVE TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF SUNSHINE HERE.

AUTUMN / WINTER, IS THE GO, C'MON YOU SANDGROPERS GET ON BOARD, YOU'VE STOLEN OUR CHAMPION MID FIELDER FROM HAWKS TO EAGLES, AT LEAST YOU COULD GIVE US SOME LONGER DAYTIME IN WINTER!!!
Yeah you are 100% right on this

Australia's greatest plus is even in winter its bearable to go outside for a run in the middle of winter, Having daylights at 6-7pm during autumn and winter when its an unbearable 20 degree's is fantastic, We don't need it during summer. It's light out till 7.30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is an anachronism from war times so important to people?
Cos people like going out after dinner for walks, swims and sport and hate daylight at 4:30am waking them up.

Should we disregard technology that came out of the war? Should we ban fanta because it was created by the nazis due to trade embargos preventing access to coke? The war argument is stupid.

And why is there three WA threads on the main board. At the very least can they be put on the australian board?

I posted this in an existing daylight saving thread. A moderator made it into a new thread.

Cos people like going out after dinner for walks, swims and sport and hate daylight at 4:30am waking them up.

Should we disregard technology that came out of the war? Should we ban fanta because it was created by the nazis due to trade embargos preventing access to coke? The war argument is stupid.
No, we should ban Fanta because it's a terrible drink.

LOL DLS in winter.

Yep, the sun rising at 8.20am would be awesome...

DLS in summer is awesome, but I accept that some people don't like it for reasons other than cows and curtains. What is more of an inconvenience to the state out of a 3 hour time difference to the Eastern seaboard or pushing an hour ahead of some Asian nations?

Because there would be such a huge generational shift in 7 years? What a flog. Will be voted down again.

As a Victorian I've never understood the opposition to DLS that WA and Qld seem to have, even when it gets blazing hot down here (although I guess it does cool down quicker overnight generally). I was up in FNQ this time last year and found the almost total darkness by 7pm was ridiculous. I'm not sure if that's comparative to WA or Perth in particular, but it seemed like DLS would've been a major positive in FNQ since it's cooled down enough to be easily tolerable by that point.

And I'd rather hot nights to stupidly early sunrises in the mornings anyway.

As a Victorian I've never understood the opposition to DLS that WA and Qld seem to have, even when it gets blazing hot down here (although I guess it does cool down quicker overnight generally). I was up in FNQ this time last year and found the almost total darkness by 7pm was ridiculous. I'm not sure if that's comparative to WA or Perth in particular, but it seemed like DLS would've been a major positive in FNQ since it's cooled down enough to be easily tolerable by that point.

Queensland really needs 2 hours of daylight of saving instead one, let alone none. It's a joke. The sun is up not long after four am in the middle of summer.

From a lifestyle point of view DLS is not overwhelmingly positive, it has a downside. It does not always cool down rapidly after sunset here. The coolest part of the day is the early morning for the first hour or two of daylight before the suns gets higher up. For many people this is the best part of the day to do stuff before the heat sets in. With DLS you lose this hour to work and get back an hour during the heat of day.

The only compelling case is business, if you work in an industry that does a lot of trade with the eastern states. it does make a big difference to work being 3 hours behind rather than 2, but this is not a concern for everybody.

From a lifestyle point of view DLS is not overwhelmingly positive, it has a downside. It does not always cool down rapidly after sunset here. The coolest part of the day is the early morning for the first hour or two of daylight before the suns gets higher up. For many people this is the best part of the day to do stuff before the heat sets in. With DLS you lose this hour to work and get back an hour during the heat of day.

The only compelling case is business, if you work in an industry that does a lot of trade with the eastern states. it does make a big difference to work being 3 hours behind rather than 2, but this is not a concern for everybody.
To change anything in West Australia would be unconscionable. To so so would unfairly deprive the rest of us of such marvellous opportunities for satire.

You first paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense. If the best part of the day is the early morning, they surely it would be better with daylight savings as people will get up earlier with daylight savings to experience it rather than still be asleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back