WACA plan for future

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like a PR plan to stop WACA members going "Nooooooooooo!" until the new stadium is open.

Perth's population is going to grow by a million in the decades to come. The Subiaco Oval site is in a great location a few hundreds metres from a 6 minute train ride to the city. Gifting it to a WAFL club - that doesn't need it - would be a wasteful indulgence. They should build a couple apartment towers or at the very least medium density housing.

I thought the plan was to demolish subi? Why would it be kept?

Last thing I saw, some guys were planning on having a wave pool inside Subiaco Oval.

lol

the only reason i would like Subi to stay is so the residents who bitched and moaned about it for years (then complained when it got shifted to Burswood) get stuck with a massive eyesore that becomes increasingly dis-repaired.

I don't know why everyone is automatically assuming the pitch at the new ground will be rubbish. When a drop-in pitch was first used at the MCG, pretty much no-one had any idea on how they would work. But over time, a body of knowledge has slowly been developed and curators are progressively learning how to make better drop-in pitches.

I'm not expecting miracles, particularly in the first couple of years. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for the time being.

I don't know why everyone is automatically assuming the pitch at the new ground will be rubbish. When a drop-in pitch was first used at the MCG, pretty much no-one had any idea on how they would work. But over time, a body of knowledge has slowly been developed and curators are progressively learning how to make better drop-in pitches.

I'm not expecting miracles, particularly in the first couple of years. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for the time being.

I have seen a couple of presentations from a senior project manager on the new stadium. He answered every question put to him unless they were sensitive business wise. The first question that I asked him was about the pitch for test match cricket. He said that they were working very closely with the people from the WACA to replicate the bounce. It is very much on their minds that this is not a generic pitch. The WACA pitch being bouncy has not been an accident every year. It has been a result of the staff knowing what they are doing. Those same people will be growing the drop in pitches and preparing the grounds. I am confident the pitch will have a lot of life.

(This would have been more impressive if not for the pitch last week !!!!)

Perth's population is going to grow by a million in the decades to come. The Subiaco Oval site is in a great location a few hundreds metres from a 6 minute train ride to the city. Gifting it to a WAFL club - that doesn't need it - would be a wasteful indulgence. They should build a couple apartment towers or at the very least medium density housing.
It also needs facilities and open space for the future, not a 100km plus urban sprawl. Who knows what we might need in 50 to 100 years, but if there is no public land left within 50kms of Perth, it will be problematic. Also, I'm sick of public assets being transferred to private hands.

What purpose does it serve retaining the WACA and Subiaco Oval? We're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars of prime real estate.
I admit I don't know much about how Perth is laid out, but I am more than a little involved in planning. As JackOutback just said above do not give up public land like that. Once it goes to developers you will never get that land back. There is always a need for more parks/ovals/public space/etc. You may not need a massive stadium but you need that space for a proper community. Especially if there is any medium or high density in that area now or in the future

I admit I don't know much about how Perth is laid out, but I am more than a little involved in planning. As JackOutback just said above do not give up public land like that. Once it goes to developers you will never get that land back. There is always a need for more parks/ovals/public space/etc. You may not need a massive stadium but you need that space for a proper community. Especially if there is any medium or high density in that area now or in the future

Subiaco Oval is a big area. There's no need for the whole thing to be covered in high rise apartment buildings but to have a stadium just sitting there become more and more dilapidated is a waste of space, and spending big money on it for no return is a waste of money.

Subiaco Oval is on a block next to a park. Across the road to the East is a park. Across the road to the West is a park. There is ample room for more medium density residential/commercial development as already exists in Subiaco and community facilites, and even if there was no public open space/community facilities on the oval site it is still surrounded by parks anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RyydVJj.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back