WAR CRIMES - Afghanistan * Ben Roberts Smith files an appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

19 Nov 202011.13 AEDT

Brereton report finds alleged unlawful killing of 39 people.

Justice Brereton considered in a detailed 57 allegations of incidents and issues.

Campbell says he found there to be “credible information to substantiate 23 incidents of alleged unlawful killing of 39 people by 25 Australian Special Forces personnel, predominantly from the Special Air Service Regiment”.

Link to Ben Roberts Smith defamation JUDGEMENT SUMMARY and FULL JUDGEMENT in pdf

Last edited:
2m ago11:33
Christopher Knaus

One of the more disturbing incidents canvassed in the documents released on Thursday comes from prior work by military sociologist Samantha Crompvoets, who was tasked with examining special forces culture and began to hear disturbing allegations of war crimes.
One soldier told her:
“Guys just had this blood lust,” he said. “Psychos. Absolute psychos. And we bred them.”
She heard one incident in which two 14-year-old boys were stopped by SAS, who decided they might be Taliban sympathisers. Their throats were slit.
“The rest of the troop then had to ‘clean up the mess’ by finding others to help dispose of the bodies,” Crompvoets reported. “In the end, the bodies were bagged and thrown in a nearby river.”
Her work eventually triggered the Brereton report.

3m ago11:32
Campbell is asked what the ADF intends to do about individuals who did not bear criminal negligence, but may have been negligent.

She heard one incident in which two 14-year-old boys were stopped by SAS, who decided they might be Taliban sympathisers. Their throats were slit.
“The rest of the troop then had to ‘clean up the mess’ by finding others to help dispose of the bodies,”

letting off steam

:thumbsupemoji:

“The rest of the troop then had to ‘clean up the mess’ by finding others to help dispose of the bodies,”

letting off steam

:thumbsupemoji:
I'm sure if you were a non keyboard warrior you would go around hugging these poor misunderstood people even though they have a bomb strapped to themselves ready to blow you and your fellow soldiers to bits

I'm sure if you were a non keyboard warrior you would go around hugging these poor misunderstood people even though they have a bomb strapped to themselves ready to blow you and your fellow soldiers to bits
lol

I could care less about the Taliban but I do care about how we as Australians practice one rule of law and ignore it when it suits in war time. I struggle to see how it can be justified (slitting the throats of 14 yr old boys) but if someone can do so I am all ears

I understand the blowing off steam - I just dont think blowing someones leg off is the way to do it

lol

I could care less about the Taliban but I do care about how we as Australians practice one rule of law and ignore it when it suits in war time. I struggle to see how it can be justified (slitting the throats of 14 yr old boys) but if someone can do so I am all ears

I understand the blowing off steam - I just dont think blowing someones leg off is the way to do it

I don't think old mates leg was blown off, probably just unhooked it and had a middle eastern shoey, it's all very well to say we should follow the rules but when an enemy doesn't and stoops to a new low well you can bend the rules. As far as 2 fourteen year Olds having their throats slit, haven't heard of that one but if they planned to kill Australians or indeed did kill australians: play silly games....

End of the day Afghans were too scared to fight for their country or their families, happy to take USA $$$ to be in army but too cowardly to fight against an enemy they outnumbered but didn't have the heart. The same people that ran from the fight will be the same people pushing and shoving at airport to flee. You talk about war crimes, once the cameras leave see what's going to happen to ethnic minorities,women, children,the brave people that DID fight and gay people: they are goners and life as they knew it is over once Shari law comes in which by the way the silence from a certain religion groups spokespeople in australia has been deafening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how everybody around him is lying and only Roberts-Smith is telling the truth.

I can't work out why Roberts thought taking the press to court for defamation was a good idea? It's not just shooting himself in the foot it's blowing his legs off.

I can't work out why Roberts thought taking the press to court for defamation was a good idea? It's not just shooting himself in the foot it's blowing his legs off.
because after he loses this defamation case. he will get a judge only trial, should he ever face criminal charges due to a jury now having pre existing bias.

judge only trial and get found not guilty.

because after he loses this defamation case. he will get a judge only trial, should he ever face criminal charges due to a jury now having pre existing bias.

judge only trial and get found not guilty.

For what he's accused of, he would have to go before a military court I think?

He has a lot of very well connected and rich backers who’ve encouraged him to take the defamation route I think. Stokes is paying for it. I doubt they knew the depths of some of these stories and I doubt he actually thought evidence (such as eyewitness testimony from his colleagues) would be as forthcoming as it has been.

Nothing to do with Schultz.

'A secret meeting between war crimes investigator Paul Brereton and journalist Chris Masters ahead of the official inquiry into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan should not be hidden just because it would be embarrassing for either, a tribunal has been told.
Lawyers for decorated SAS veteran Ben Roberts-Smith are seeking access to Major General Brereton’s 2017 diary under Freedom of Information laws, after Masters published several articles promoted as containing exclusive information about the inquiry.

In November 2020, Major General Brereton, a NSW Supreme Court judge acting in his capacity as Assistant Inspector-General for the Australian Defence Force, delivered a damning report alleging credible evidence of 39 unlawful killings in Afghanistan by Australian soldiers.

“It is in the public interest for it to be known whether there was a meeting between the head of what was meant to be a secret inquiry and a journalist,” Arthur Moses SC told Justice Tom Thawley in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.'

'The barrister referenced a passage in the IGADF report in which Major General Brereton says “further media interest in the inquiry was generated by the publication of journalist Chris Masters’ book, No Front Line, in October 2017”.

Masters is one of the journalists being sued by Mr Roberts-Smith over claims in Nine newspapers he was involved in the murders of six civilians in Afghanistan. Mr Roberts-Smith, who denies the allegations, is still awaiting a verdict in the long-running defamation lawsuit.'

'The VC recipient lodged a Freedom of Information request over the diary entries in October 2017 in a bid to establish if Major General Brereton had met Masters. It was rejected by the Defence Department and by the Australian Information Commissioner, on the grounds the diary entries would reveal the identity of a confidential source.'

'IGADF barrister Christine Ernst rejected Mr Moses’s submission, arguing the identity of the person who met Major General Brereton was still not known.

Justice Thawley reserved his decision.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back