Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Warner was scapegoated. Makes no sense everybody else had no knowledge. All these ppl quick to jump on him makes me wonder if class is a factor

Warner was scapegoated. Makes no sense everybody else had no knowledge. All these ppl quick to jump on him makes me wonder if class is a factor

What?
One of our most loved cricketers was a kid from Tassie who got famous for smoking darts and drinking 52 tins on a trans-hemispheric flight. How the f*** would class play a role in Warner’s perception among the cricket public?

id say the idea that a senior world class player seemed to coerce a junior teammate in his seventh match into cheating played more of a role

What?
One of our most loved cricketers was a kid from Tassie who got famous for smoking darts and drinking 52 tins on a trans-hemispheric flight. How the f*** would class play a role in Warner’s perception among the cricket public?

id say the idea that a senior world class player seemed to coerce a junior teammate in his seventh match into cheating played more of a role

Boon went to a grammar school.

That's the narrative the media has told happy to pin blame on one person. Would've thought captain should take greater share of blame. Did you hear what Michael Clarke said this week?!

Yes, classism exists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boon went to a grammar school.

That's the narrative the media has told happy to pin blame on one person. Would've thought captain should take greater share of blame. Did you hear what Michael Clarke said this week?!

Yes, classism exists.

And?

if anything the majority of Australians would rather knock someone who went to a decent school than someone who didn’t.

I felt sick just strumming a guitar at a rugby union 50 year celebration for a local club here a few years ago, because I can’t stand those from the higher class (and I went to a private school myself)

yes I heard what Michael Clarke said.
Western suburbs bred publicly educated Michael Clarke, btw.

I genuinely don’t think more than about 2 per cent of people in Australia that follow cricket would give a s**t what side of the tracks Warner is from.

and Boon was the son of a newsagent -grammar school or not, he wasn’t from a long line of tweed wearing snuff box carrying members of the aristocracy

And?

if anything the majority of Australians would rather knock someone who went to a decent school than someone who didn’t.

I felt sick just strumming a guitar at a rugby union 50 year celebration for a local club here a few years ago, because I can’t stand those from the higher class (and I went to a private school myself)

yes I heard what Michael Clarke said.
Western suburbs bred publicly educated Michael Clarke, btw.

I genuinely don’t think more than about 2 per cent of people in Australia that follow cricket would give a sh*t what side of the tracks Warner is from.

and Boon was the son of a newsagent -grammar school or not, he wasn’t from a long line of tweed wearing snuff box carrying members of the aristocracy

So ppl from advantaged background are morely likely to be discriminated against & looked down upon?! Thanks for that

Class has nothing to do with the reason Dave Warner is disliked. He has been a pain in the ass to cricketing coaches in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs ever since he entered his teens and nothing changed on his way to the top level. As often, when someone displays that level of raw talent, his indiscretions go unpunished and breed an aura of invincibility. Not dissimilar, although not as extreme, as Wayne Carey within the AFL world. Interestingly, Dave's brother Steve who also did the whole NSW/Australia U/17's, U/19's pathway before petering out in grade cricket, was an extremely popular guy. The reality is DW is just an unlikable guy.

Pat Cummins and Usman Khawaja - the latter whom opened with Warner in underage club cricket for Sydney Coastal - are not exactly from blueblood stock and both are universally like cricketers. In Cummins case, one of the most popular in the world. Usman would probably be if it weren't for his frustrating on field performances.

Class has nothing to do with the reason Dave Warner is disliked. He has been a pain in the ass to cricketing coaches in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs ever since he entered his teens and nothing changed on his way to the top level. As often, when someone displays that level of raw talent, his indiscretions go unpunished and breed an aura of invincibility. Not dissimilar, although not as extreme, as Wayne Carey within the AFL world. Interestingly, Dave's brother Steve who also did the whole NSW/Australia U/17's, U/19's pathway before petering out in grade cricket, was an extremely popular guy. The reality is DW is just an unlikable guy.

Pat Cummins and Usman Khawaja - the latter whom opened with Warner in underage club cricket for Sydney Coastal - are not exactly from blueblood stock and both are universally like cricketers. In Cummins case, one of the most popular in the world. Usman would probably be if it weren't for his frustrating on field performances.

Bingo.

s**t bloke is a s**t bloke.

Spot on.

cricketers don’t carry near the stigma that footballers do when it comes to class gaps and as I alluded to if anything in rugby league at least, those from the most humble backgrounds are actually usually treated with an extra level of likeability because of it.

wvery rugby league fan mourned Tommy raudonikaus recently for the exact reason that he was a battler from the West. It’s the reason clubs like the roosters and manly are reviled by anyone that doesn’t support them.

Spot on.

cricketers don’t carry near the stigma that footballers do when it comes to class gaps and as I alluded to if anything in rugby league at least, those from the most humble backgrounds are actually usually treated with an extra level of likeability because of it.

wvery rugby league fan mourned Tommy raudonikaus recently for the exact reason that he was a battler from the West. It’s the reason clubs like the roosters and manly are reviled by anyone that doesn’t support them.

Rugby league back in the day had working class roots we're talking cricket.
Ppl discriminate on class whether you know it or not. It's more than likely you do it yourself without knowing it if studies are to believed.
General population look down on somebody of Warner's background. Heck, something like a current affair is based around that fact.

Anyway;

Rugby league back in the day had working class roots we're talking cricket.
Ppl discriminate on class whether you know it or not. It's more than likely you do it yourself without knowing it if studies are to believed.
General population look down on somebody of Warner's background. Heck, something like a current affair is based around that fact.

Anyway;

Yes, people in society do.

the whole point of sport is that it removes a lot of those stigmas and barriers in general.

I don’t know a single person who thinks Michael Clarke is a w***er because he comes from western Sydney and is middle class. I know plenty (I’m not one of them) who thinks he is because he likes fast cars and had a relationship with an airhead blonde model, though.

pat Cummins as mentioned earlier is just a kid from western Sydney who has no upper class affiliation whatsoever.
Mitchell Johnson. The guy showed up to his first proper examination as a cricketer with his dad’s golf shoes because he didn’t have proper cricket shoes. He went to a state high school in Townsville. I don’t have any affection for Aussie players at all and I love Mitchell Johnson

100 per cent people are class-affected in their general life with employment and educational opportunities but I really don’t think this is any factor in people’s perception of David Warner.

self fulfilling prophecy but only in your mind. Warner is successful & probably admirable in many aspect of his life

Define “successful.”

Being rich and good at something is not success. Warner is a cheat who beats up his opponents in pubs.He has no character and no credibility.

He is a s**t bloke. And not only in my mind champ.

Yes, people in society do.

the whole point of sport is that it removes a lot of those stigmas and barriers in general.

I don’t know a single person who thinks Michael Clarke is a w***er because he comes from western Sydney and is middle class. I know plenty (I’m not one of them) who thinks he is because he likes fast cars and had a relationship with an airhead blonde model, though.

pat Cummins as mentioned earlier is just a kid from western Sydney who has no upper class affiliation whatsoever.
Mitchell Johnson. The guy showed up to his first proper examination as a cricketer with his dad’s golf shoes because he didn’t have proper cricket shoes. He went to a state high school in Townsville. I don’t have any affection for Aussie players at all and I love Mitchell Johnson

100 per cent people are class-affected in their general life with employment and educational opportunities but I really don’t think this is any factor in people’s perception of David Warner.

Class has always been an issue in sport & you need to learn history if you think otherwise. Modern cricket rose out of gentleman amateurs & working class professionals.
Sport is part of society & it's silly to think it would be excluded from the same problems. How are race barriers in afl?! Seem to be still in place.

Warner's background is pretty different among our test cricketers with exception of a certain Tasmanian who I remember was unpopular in his day & even as captain there were calls for him to resign

Define “successful.”

Being rich and good at something is not success. Warner is a cheat who beats up his opponents in pubs.He has no character and no credibility.

He is a sh*t bloke. And not only in my mind champ.

Very successful cricketer among the best openers the country has ever had.

I don't know him personally but judging from a distance like you're doing seems like a devoted husband & dad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back