Warwick Capper on Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

People who dislike this are so boring and others calling it dumb?? Rediculous. Especially those on the first page. How can you dislike that?? It's too funny. The guy could actually be a half decent comedian. He could have been a half decent co-host on "Get This".

I get the feeling that capper is way smarter then people might think. Heck, his character could even be an act or creation. Hilarious interview and one of the best and wittiest Open Mike interviews of all of them..

It's great to see a player with actual wit and personality and as he says, one of the few who was a marketing success because of all those things.

As he says often during the interview, he took some classic marks and was a great kick for goal, achieved a lot for the Sydney football club..great football story.

He is precisely what is missing in today's game. The characters.

Last edited:

In its own way, it is actually one of the best Open Mike episodes. Disarmingly honest, no self censor (unlike today's players), knew he was an entertainer and worked to give the crowd what they wanted. Wasn't wrong in saying some of his Brisbane teammates didn't want to kick it to him.

It was never intended to be a hard hitting, tears flowing expose. Always enjoyed this episode, although the Tony Modra one will always be close to my favorite.

In its own way, it is actually one of the best Open Mike episodes. Disarmingly honest, no self censor (unlike today's players), knew he was an entertainer and worked to give the crowd what they wanted. Wasn't wrong in saying some of his Brisbane teammates didn't want to kick it to him.

It was never intended to be a hard hitting, tears flowing expose. Always enjoyed this episode, although the Tony Modra one will always be close to my favorite.

...and all round movie star (my fave bit)

It was the highest rating Open Mike episode, Mike seemed hesitant to have him on but Cappers manager talked him into it.

His ex-Swan team mates never have a bad word to say about him.

And while they'll admit he isn't the most erudite speaker or a genius, they say he is 100% honest about who he is and was a great team mate. There's a lot of genuine affection there.

Capper is always entertaining and genuinely likeable. Won't see too many like him again in this day and age of media trained robots.

I’m glad to see on the most recent bump on this thread that there are people who share my view on both Capper himself and his interview with Open Mike.

I agree with the poster that said he’s smarter than he comes across and let’s be honest, since he retired from footy he’s parlayed it into a career.

When I first watched it and he kept saying he did this and that because of Joanne I thought ‘come on mate just take responsibility’ but if it’s the truth and he’s just open enough to say it then who cares. He was a phenomenal footballer and I think he actually in his own way came along a bit too early. A player of his natural athleticism, with today’s strength and conditioning could have been even better. Guys like Dunstall and Ablett and Lockett had more natural size and it made them more multidimensional. Capper may have been able to add some size with more strength focused work.

The way he assessed Peter Knights’ coaching was harsh but probably fair and he instantly gave away that it wasn’t a personal thing as he said “lovely bloke but couldn’t coach.”

I like that he acknowledged his failings as a dad when he told Mike how his son made him feel when he told him he was embarrassed by him particularly after the sex tape. Humanised him a lot.

All in all, compare this to Jacko.
Jacko said in some ways a lot of the same thing - talked about how good he was, how his teammates didn’t kick it to him etc etc and made excuses for his behaviour.

Yet came across as a complete f***wit. Capper managed the complete opposite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ex-Swan team mates never have a bad word to say about him.

And while they'll admit he isn't the most erudite speaker or a genius, they say he is 100% honest about who he is and was a great team mate. There's a lot of genuine affection there.
So telling that blokes like Diesel and Tom Hafey did their best to keep him there and make him see sense.

I’m glad to see on the most recent bump on this thread that there are people who share my view on both Capper himself and his interview with Open Mike.

I agree with the poster that said he’s smarter than he comes across and let’s be honest, since he retired from footy he’s parlayed it into a career.

When I first watched it and he kept saying he did this and that because of Joanne I thought ‘come on mate just take responsibility’ but if it’s the truth and he’s just open enough to say it then who cares. He was a phenomenal footballer and I think he actually in his own way came along a bit too early. A player of his natural athleticism, with today’s strength and conditioning could have been even better. Guys like Dunstall and Ablett and Lockett had more natural size and it made them more multidimensional. Capper may have been able to add some size with more strength focused work.

The way he assessed Peter Knights’ coaching was harsh but probably fair and he instantly gave away that it wasn’t a personal thing as he said “lovely bloke but couldn’t coach.”

I like that he acknowledged his failings as a dad when he told Mike how his son made him feel when he told him he was embarrassed by him particularly after the sex tape. Humanised him a lot.

All in all, compare this to Jacko.
Jacko said in some ways a lot of the same thing - talked about how good he was, how his teammates didn’t kick it to him etc etc and made excuses for his behaviour.

Yet came across as a complete f***wit. Capper managed the complete opposite
Summed it perfectly - couldnt agree more.

So telling that blokes like Diesel and Tom Hafey did their best to keep him there and make him see sense.

Absolutely this.
He left Sydney with 279 goals from 77 games. He had only just turned 24!!! Even just 6-7 more seasons at say 60 goals a year and he finishes as at the very least a 700 goal forward.
And given the relative level of footballer that he was around at Sydney one would assume that level would have stayed the same at least for a while before they bottomed out

Capper is always entertaining and genuinely likeable. Won't see too many like him again in this day and age of media trained robots.
Yes, you know what you're going to get with Capper, so there's no point in watching if you are looking for anything else. Seems like a good bloke who likes to have fun and he makes a refreshing change at times. I remember years ago when Dunstall was still playing, they had Capper on a panel, and he was telling the Chief what he thought he was doing wrong. There's Dunstall, already 6 centuries and 4 premierships under his belt, and a look on his face only the Chief can give, as if to say "As if I'd be taking advice from you!!". It was a very funny segment.

It's one of the best. Hard to dislike the bloke. Doesn't come across as an arsehole or evil. Vain, sure, but not a prick. Someone you'd love to have a beer with. Always seems to be in a positive mood.

Mike Sheahan said he was very reluctant to interview him, but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome, and all the crew were over the moon with how good it was.

Absolutely this.
He left Sydney with 279 goals from 77 games. He had only just turned 24!!! Even just 6-7 more seasons at say 60 goals a year and he finishes as at the very least a 700 goal forward.
And given the relative level of footballer that he was around at Sydney one would assume that level would have stayed the same at least for a while before they bottomed out
He could play, there's no doubt about it.

I enjoyed the interview. Talks himself up but takes the piss out of himself at the same time....

Saw the Wiz at crown GF eve 2010. Dressed like a 80's rock star, 1 bird on each arm...stuff of legend. Telling everyone that he'd nailed more skirt in a bad day than Errol Flynn would on a good day...nobody cared about dual NSM Andrew Macleod standing only meters away....some of the stuff he was saying was pure gold. The bar lost all its atmosphere when he strolled out with the 2 same birds on each arm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back