Was 2022 a superdraft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma always gets grouped along with Butters and Rozee, but really he's nowhere near as good as those two. In fact he's pretty average.

He's in his 5th season and he's pretty much gone consistently backwards since that first year statistically.
Feels like he's a player that benefits in a good system.
Sydney would love him. Runs all day, knows how to take the easy kicks. Looks like a player that's been over coaches. I'm a duursma fan.

For all the hype Ashcroft had, early signs are that he's the real deal and looks set to deliver a Daicos/Walsh-like first year.

What's insane is that he may not even win the rising star. Sheezel has been equally if not more impressive so far.

Every team seems to have found gems in last year's draft. Is it too early to call it a superdraft?

No.

2023 supposedly better and deeper.

So does that make 2023 a Super Dooper Draft?

Best time to answer this question is in 5 years time. Yes so far this draft crop seem to be playing and impacting well deeper, compared to previous openings to the seasons from previous crops. But they are still riding on hype over production. Many draftees have had great first years and then done little in the years after that. Some start slow before reaching heights further down the track.

Great start for the 2022 draft class considering everyone said it was crap. But you need long term production and samples before we can conclude whether it was a Super Draft.

Last edited:
i'd be viewing 2021 as a potential superdraft

JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Rachele, Ward, Callaghan, Martin look top shelf
Hobbs, Erasmus, Amiss, Johnson, Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Owens, Curtis, Soligo have all made a decent start as well.

For a set of draftees that have had one season and coming off 2 COVID interrupted years, it's been an impressive showing.
Sinn has played one game since he was drafted, Chesser has played 2 and hasn’t got near it.

Hobbs, Erasmus, Amiss, Johnson, Sinn, Chesser, Wilmot, Owens, Curtis, Soligo have all made a decent start as well.

For a set of draftees that have had one season and coming off 2 COVID interrupted years, it's been an impressive showing.
Looks like a deep one too. At this stage I'm pretty happy with all North's picks (apart from the obvious one) in Josh Goater, Paul Curtis, Miller Bergman and Jackson Archer, who would all be playing if not for Arch's injury late in the preseason. Bergman especially has been a really nice surprise this season, he and Goater along with Sheezel have been instrumental in giving us the class at half-back that we've lacked for years.

far too early to call

Ashcroft & Sheezel no surprise to date. they had great 2022's and have just kicked on.

Wardlaw & Tsatas would have been in that pick 1 convo if not for injury, so bit to be seen there
Phillipou has x-factor
And i reckon the next "talent" to watch is Brayden George too. Before his injury he looked to be another one in that top echelon
brayden george will be a fascinating watch next year
is that JDG type

Who's Martin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top class debuts so far I’m looking forward to seeing Ed Allen I’d be getting around him If I was fremantle or eagles considering the depth of midfield at Collingwood atm.

Top class debuts so far I’m looking forward to seeing Ed Allen I’d be getting around him If I was fremantle or eagles considering the depth of midfield at Collingwood atm.
Was pretty good in his first VFL game over the weekend. 25 disposals, 4 clearances and 1 goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back