Watt and Colbert

Remove this Banner Ad

Watt didn't get into too many contests but he contested one in the last and went in at about 80%, not great but alright.
Colbert, I think he throws himself at marking contests but personally I think his knee prevents him doing much turning in a pack.
I would be wooried about Grant more!

colbert definately wasn't soft....i can vouch for that....his fitness prevented him from being totally effective but he definately ain't soft

Originally posted by Moti.com
Watt didn't get into too many contests but he contested one in the last and went in at about 80%, not great but alright.
Colbert, I think he throws himself at marking contests but personally I think his knee prevents him doing much turning in a pack.
I would be wooried about Grant more!

I'll second that Shaggers is a worry and his disposal as well, I think a run in the magoos or a stint in the forwardline should be the go.

And spot on about Colbert, his gaining confidence.

I'm not sure about Watt?

I have no idea why people think that Leigh Colbert is a good player. I have not seen him play a good game since his move from Geelong. Furthermore, i dont't believe he was a good palyer at Geelong. We are paying him alot of money for very little return. Geelong will do alot better out of the trade, as they got Cameron Mooney. Wouldn't it be nice to see him in the backline. At least he has a go and is hard at it. Colbert is very slow!! If he is not fit, then why do they continue to play him!!.
Shannon Watt will be a good player. Needs to get more game time. Hopefully this will allow him to get a bit more confidence.

Shannon Grant, well since Carey's gone his form has been terrible. Maybe he thrived on the KING's prescence. Needs to take a good long look at himself otherwise it could be the magoos.

Yes i reckon Watt does need more game time. You cannot develop when you are always getting splinters in ur @rse and getting shifted around all the time. Put Watt somewhere and make him play there for a while to get settled in that position. Only then should you shift him around so he is not a one position player. I might suggest fullback, and i know a lot of people will disagree with that, but it is my opinion.

Put Grant in the middle and have him as the creator player along with Boomer. If Boomer is playing forward, let Simmo do a bit of creating too, as i reckon he can create and negate. That leaves Stevo to do a bit of negating, although he can creat a bit himself too like Robbins. So therefore it just depends on who is in the middle, but generally, Boomer and Grant should create as i don't think they can negate too well. Therefore have at least one of each in the middle at all times.

And i reckon we should let Colby have a few games in the twos for more time and confidence. Maybe the shock of him going back to the twos might make him play better. It happened to Grant, so why not Colby? Although Colby does seem to have played well against the Hawks, maybe he might be getting some confidence back now...

Originally posted by Darky
Two soft pricks. Discuss.

How anyone can say Colbert is soft is beyond me

Supporters who turn on their own players when they have put in one poor effort. Discuss :rolleyes:

Colbert definitely isn't soft, he would be up there as one of our most courgeous players. I thought last week, he showed some good signs against Lance Whitnall that he was getting back into some type of form (I even gave him a vote). This week, he made a signficant improvement on Holland.

Shannon Watt - I've just about ran out of patience with him. He ain't a backman, so either give him 4 quarters on the forward line to prove himself yet again - or play him with the MKs.

Other observations I have made (yes, they are more noticeable after a terrible loss) are:

McCartney - put him back on the backline and leave him there. He has given us no value whatsoever up forward.

Grant: - drop him to the magoos. It worked last year, hopefully it can do the same trick this year.

Archer - gees I wish we had two of this guy, no matter how good he is down back, could be the answer up forward.

Porter - maybe a top recruit, but beside a good first game against Port, has been very disappointing, whilst young Drew Petrie has probably been one of the best in the Mks this year. It's time to bring Drew in.

Blakey - doubt he will be playing next week with concussion, but has had a few more minor injuries this year.

All up, it gives the young guys in the MKs a good opportunity today to perform and train well during the week.

Re: Re: Watt and Colbert

Originally posted by Marty Monster

How anyone can say Colbert is soft is beyond me

Supporters who turn on their own players when they have put in one poor effort. Discuss :rolleyes:

One poor effort? Four games into his umpteenth comeback, and Colbert has still shown little.

And I would hardly call my criticism "turning". I was against his immediate inclusion four weeks ago, and am still against it.

The SOFT call may be harsh, but either he is reluctant to go into a contests or is just too bloody slow to get to one.

I suppose you've never criticised a player for a particularly poor showing. :rolleyes:

It looked yesterday, like those old Carey vs Jakovich battles - where Jakovich would have no impact because the ball wasn't kicked to their contests, but he'd get all the credit because Carey had no impact either.

Holland vs Colbert - nil all draw IMHO.

Watt - built like Tarzan, play's like Jane's grandma.

why are there so many threads bagging watt?
there were only a handful of players yesterday who didn't have their colours lowered. why pick on a player who got about a quarter of game time and spent that time in the backline, on a flank and in the forward line? what exactly did he do wrong yesterday? did he make any mistakes at all...... i didn't see any. what do you expect that he would do in that time?

Can someone please tell me why they reckon Shannon Grant played a poor game. I was playing footy myself yeasterday and missed seeing or listening to the Roos game (damn Saturday arvo games), but I noticed on the AFL site Grant picked up 32 possessions. His problem obviously isn't his ball-getting (30 touches last week) so what is it? Playing loose? Poor disposal? Not enough goals? Anything?

Originally posted by magoo
why are there so many threads bagging watt?
there were only a handful of players yesterday who didn't have their colours lowered. why pick on a player who got about a quarter of game time and spent that time in the backline, on a flank and in the forward line? what exactly did he do wrong yesterday? did he make any mistakes at all...... i didn't see any. what do you expect that he would do in that time?

I have had a bit of a go at Watt, but it was more to do with how he looked than how he played. I just don't think that he has the physical attributes to succeed at this level at this point of time. He is brushed off the ball too easily and for a bloke his size he does not exert his physical authority on the game enough.

I also think he is slow off the mark, and for someone without a dominant level of strength, skill or pace he is just not going to cut it. Someone posted that he is one of our fastest but I wonder if that is over a distance where he can get a bit of speed up. Acceleration is much more important than pace, and I think he is lacking in that regard.

He reminds me a bit of Cameron Mooney in that he is someone with the physical base to be a good footballer, but to me he still seems underdeveloped. I would expect even at 21 or so that Watt would start showing some muscle definition in the arms, and start to impose himself on the game. Until he does this I suspect he will be no more than a fringe player.

Moomba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Watt and Colbert

I suppose you've never criticised a player for a particularly poor showing. :rolleyes:

When it's within reason I will, Colbert's showing was not poor. If you had said that last week or the week before I would have agreed with you. I don't know what some of you expect from him

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde
Can someone please tell me why they reckon Shannon Grant played a poor game. I was playing footy myself yeasterday and missed seeing or listening to the Roos game (damn Saturday arvo games), but I noticed on the AFL site Grant picked up 32 possessions. His problem obviously isn't his ball-getting (30 touches last week) so what is it? Playing loose? Poor disposal? Not enough goals? Anything?

1. Get the ball
2. Throw it on the foot or hand
3. Kick or handball as long as possible
4. Hope that a Roo is nearby
5. Watch us unmarked Hawk gathers ball and kicks to my unmarked opponent
6. Repeat 32 times

Moomba

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde

I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read he had 32 posessions. To be honest I cannot remember one of them that was effective and thought he would have no more than 12.

Only thing I remember is him jogging along in the centre (with a few mates) whilst 3 or 4 Hawthorn players were streaming down the wing unmarked doing circle work.

Originally posted by moomba

1. Get the ball
2. Throw it on the foot or hand
3. Kick or handball as long as possible
4. Hope that a Roo is nearby
5. Watch us unmarked Hawk gathers ball and kicks to my unmarked opponent
6. Repeat 32 times

It's amazing that a bloke who has had 62 touches in the last 2 matches is a candidate for the axe, but I guess that shows how ineffective those possessions have been. 62 chances to exert an infleunce on the game, and it hasn't amounted to much at all.

Originally posted by moomba

He is brushed off the ball too easily and for a bloke his size he does not exert his physical authority on the game enough.

I also think he is slow off the mark, and for someone without a dominant level of strength, skill or pace he is just not going to cut it. Someone posted that he is one of our fastest but I wonder if that is over a distance where he can get a bit of speed up. Acceleration is much more important than pace, and I think he is lacking in that regard.

For someone who is tall, mobile, supposedly quick, and has had five years experience and physical training on an AFL list, he gets beaten to the ball too often by blokes who are smaller and not quick either.

I am beginning to wonder what long-term effect the incident with Lloyd last year had on him. At the time he was looking a reasonable prospect, and when the incident happened he was attacking the ball and playing in front.

Has his development reached a plateau because his limitations have been reached, or is he reluctant to play in front and put his body in for fear of getting another serious injury?

watt

I am beginning to wonder what long-term effect the incident with Lloyd last year had on him. At the time he was looking a reasonable prospect, and when the incident happened he was attacking the ball and playing in front.

we have all been waiting for watt to mature and to take it up to micky as a full back. dont hold your breath this will not happen we need to be moulding someone for fullback and watt isnt it,

for those who see the MKs on a regular basis who else is around to put thier hand up. could teague play thier?

Re: watt

Originally posted by mighty mick

we have all been waiting for watt to mature and to take it up to micky as a full back. dont hold your breath this will not happen we need to be moulding someone for fullback and watt isnt it,

I am still waiting on Crowe:D He's the same height as Mick- and Mick has been brilliant.. Crowe is approx 14kgs lighter, but is quicker.. and I still think he has the body to be able to play at the moment.. so my vote is on Crowe:D

Go Roos
Coz it wont be Watt.

teague is a good player but he but he just doesn't have the physical attributes of a f/back...... he's the same height and weight as clayton!

a quick look through the list shows that there are only afew players physically capable of playing fullback.... micky, mccartney, watt, foot, crowe (maybe also tregenza and petrie but they aren't played there). take your pick.

personally, our backline with mccartney, archer, baird, colbert with one of the ruckmen floating back there as needed should be plenty tall enough.

watt should play in the forward line. he will need a tall quick defender to mind him taking pressure of the likes of sav and digby. i think he can play but we just haven't hardly seen any of him.

Two soft pricks. Discuss.

ummmm Darky..... Colbert is the last person I'd call soft. He may be many things but you just can't doubt the guys courage when the going gets tough.

As for Watt.....well I don't think he's good enough for senior football.

re porter

it was a promising start by porter against port adelaide, and i thought we had found a new ruck who would float into the backline.

but alas we have not seen this again.

this game was very reminiscent of the role capuano played against bisbane in both of the prliminary wins.

hopefully poeter can settle in soon

go roos2002

I'll tell you who is softin our side, Sav Rocca. The man is one big unit, but do you ever see him really exhert a physical presence on the ground. He needs to bust some packs and heads. i would like to see him get reeported for charging or something like that and get the fear of god into a few backman. Blokes like Mark Graham and other skinny pussies should be sh1tting themselves when the ball comes in long, not for the fear of someone outmarking them but Sav putting them in hostpital. Much the same way as plugger used to and Troy Wilson does now.

savs toughness

think about what you just said, you wanna see rocca charging more and that he might be reported that would be great eh so then we would be without a full forward.

maybe he should lead out a bit more and the passes should look for him more often but losing him on report i dont think so.

he has also been quite unlucky over the last few weeks with grabs that have not been paid to him, but similar stuff would of been paid in other matches in the same round.

Re: savs toughness

Originally posted by mighty mick
think about what you just said, you wanna see rocca charging more and that he might be reported that would be great eh so then we would be without a full forward.

maybe he should lead out a bit more and the passes should look for him more often but losing him on report i dont think so.

he has also been quite unlucky over the last few weeks with grabs that have not been paid to him, but similar stuff would of been paid in other matches in the same round.

I read Stevo10's article a bit differently. I think that Sav could be a bit more physical. He's a big guy who should be able to burst packs open when required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back