Opinion Ways To Improve Game Day Experience On The GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So we're nearly 3 years into the Suns existence in the AFL and what have we learned about the Gold Coast market? What can be done to improve the game day experience for patrons? This thread is intended for anyone (regardless of who you support) to have input and help suggest ways to make the whole GC AFL experience an unforgettable one. I have attended games at Metricon, the Gabba, the MCG, Etihad and Skoda. I will therefore use what I have seen from other stadiums and compare it to Metricon to determine what the Gold Coast do well and not so well.

darkwingduck stated the Gold Coast is a completely different beast when it comes to footy and I couldn't agree more. Would be interested to hear DWD's opinion given he has been too many games at Etihad and the MCG (I presume) and has also been to Metricon (I think?). Anway, here are my thoughts.

Entertainment
This is what the Gold Coast does very well (unsurprisingly). Live bands at halftime of every game, activities for kids such as jumping castles, face painting etc. and always some sort of fan interactivity between quarters. Not too mention you are aloud to have a kick on the ground after the game. This is an area that doesn't really need to be changed at all. From my experiences, I don't believe any other stadiums in Australia are as heavily entertainment orientated as the Gold Coast.

Opponents
The Gold Coast's opponents each week will often influence the crowd figure. The high amount of people who have moved from Victoria to the GC in the last 20 years has ensured that games against Victorian teams will often pull a larger crowd than those against non-Victorian, interstate teams. Can't really set in stone teams you would like to face each season but I believe over time this will become less of an issue.

Timeslot
Traditionally, the 7.40pm timeslot has been sought after by most clubs and is accepted as the prime timeslot. However, the Gold Coast public have spoken with their feet and they are not in favour of the 7:40 start. The families get extremely turned off by the timeslot as it will often result in the kids getting home after 11pm. The slot also hurts the chances of attracting young adults who intend on going out after the game. I truly believe moving the game back even just one hour would make a huge difference.

Everton Lions pointed out that the Gold Coast have averaged over 13.5k every game before 7:40pm and have averaged 11.4k in games at 7:40pm. If that's not a clear indication I'm not sure what is. This isn't Victoria, people don't enjoy getting home late on the Gold Coast.

Transport
This is where footy on the Coast gets murdered. There is no central hub of public transport that runs directly to the stadium. The best we have is shuttle buses from Broadbeach that virtually no hotel employees know about. Shuttle buses are not going to work long term. The creation of the light rail (tram) on the Gold Coast will help patrons get to the shuttle in Broadbeach but I would much rather prefer a tram line that runs directly to the stadium from Broadbeach. It has been made pretty clear by the Gold Coast City Council that it won't happen but I hold out some hope.

When you compare this to transport options in Melbourne and Sydney it is really quite pathetic. Both the MCG and Etihad Stadium offer light (tram) and hard (train) rail options to get to the stadium and it is very easy experience. Skoda Stadium is located in Sydney Olympic Park and is also quite easy to get to from the city or airport. I presume getting to the SCG wouldn't be very difficult either given it is located next to the Sydney Football Stadium.

Weather
Wet weather is clearly a major turn off for footy fans on the Coast. Not sure how you could try to attract fans in the wet other than extending the roof slightly to give all of the seats underneath the roof protection from the rain. The roof currently protects all seats underneath outside of the first five or so rows in the bottom tier. It may also not protect the lower section of the second tier but I'm not sure.

If you have any feedback from your AFL experience (good or bad) please post it in here. The club and AFL are very open to change and if enough people know about an issue it should be changed.

I have more but I'll leave it at this for now. What do you guys think?

Timeslot
Traditionally, the 7.40pm timeslot has been sought after by most clubs and is accepted as the prime timeslot. However, the Gold Coast public have spoken with their feet and they are not in favour of the 7:40 start. The families get extremely turned off by the timeslot as it will often result in the kids getting home after 11pm. The slot also hurts the chances of attracting young adults who intend on going out after the game. I truly believe moving the game back even just one hour would make a huge difference.

Everton Lions pointed out that the Gold Coast have averaged over 13.5k every game before 7:40pm and have averaged 11.4k in games at 7:40pm. If that's not a clear indication I'm not sure what is. This isn't Victoria, people don't enjoy getting home late on the Gold Coast.

Agreed with what you said, but it's worse for the Lions and Suns as the Saturday Night games we and you guys get aren't even on FTA on other states most of the time. My theory (from a Lions perspective) is if we're going to get terrible (attending) timeslots, at least give us more national exposure. That's part of the reason why Friday Nights are so popular and accepted as the #1 prime timeslot. The AFL should at least move the Foxtel Saturday Night game to 6.40pm. I agree that it would make a huge difference. The Suns crowd against St Kilda at that time proves that.

For me having so many 7.40pm Saturday Night games at the Gabba is bad enough, but 7.40pm Saturday games are worse at Carrara because of the public transport, open spaces which make the place colder in winter and the fact that most GC fans seem to be young families (and from a selfish POV I live further from Carrara than from the 'Gabba). I didn't get home until 11.45pm when I went to Q Clash 5. I thought getting home at 11-11.30pm from 'Gabba games was bad enough...

Also I notice this stat because I absolutely despise the 7.40pm Saturday timeslot, I honestly hate it more than Sunday twilight (which I don't mind after last Sunday) I don't want to repeat myself but I give a detailed explanation of why I hate this timeslot (for attending) here and here.

My theory (from a Lions perspective) is if we're going to get terrible (attending) timeslots, at least give us more national exposure. That's part of the reason why Friday Nights are so popular and accepted as the #1 prime timeslot. The AFL should at least move the Foxtel Saturday Night game to 6.40pm. I agree that it would make a huge difference. The Suns crowd against St Kilda at that time proves that.

For me having so many 7.40pm Saturday Night games at the Gabba is bad enough, but 7.40pm Saturday games are worse at Carrara because of the public transport, open spaces which make the place colder in winter and the fact that most GC fans seem to be young families (and from a selfish POV I live further from Carrara than from the 'Gabba). I didn't get home until 11.45pm when I went to Q Clash 5. I thought getting home at 11-11.30pm from 'Gabba games was bad enough...

Also I notice this stat because I absolutely despise the 7.40pm Saturday timeslot, I honestly hate it more than Sunday twilight (which I don't mind after last Sunday) I don't want to repeat myself but I give a detailed explanation of why I hate this timeslot (for attending) here and here.

You say that about the Friday night slot but then the Lions can only pull a crowd of 26k against Collingwood? Not a personal attack but I was so shocked when I saw the crowd figure for that game. I know quite a few of the Saturday night games for the Suns have been shown live on FTA in Victoria this season and I'm 100% sure it has led to Victorians opening their eyes slightly when it comes to the development on the GC.

It's interesting because I think very few people from Brisbane travel to Metricon to watch the Suns and vice versa. I know the Gold Coasters hated (with a passion) travelling to the Gabba to watch their team play and couldn't wait until that first game at Metricon. While I think people in Brisbane have an attitude like they are too good to travel to a lesser stadium on the Gold Coast (look at the QClash crowd earlier this year).

When you look back at the glory days of the Lions, they were playing Saturday night nearly every week and I think the people up there have struggled to adjust to life as a normal AFL scheduled club while also not having success they were used to. Hopefully the Suns fans can buck the QLD trend of a passing interest in a team while they are successful.

You say that about the Friday night slot but then the Lions can only pull a crowd of 26k against Collingwood? Not a personal attack but I was so shocked when I saw the crowd figure for that game. I know quite a few of the Saturday night games for the Suns have been shown live on FTA in Victoria this season and I'm 100% sure it has led to Victorians opening their eyes slightly when it comes to the development on the GC.
Yeah that took me by suprise as well, but it was worth noting it was raining for a bit in Brisbane. Also I was talking about in terms of national exposure. That game was live on FTA across Australia.

None of our Saturday Night home games have been on FTA in Victoria since the new TV deal came into place. That really annoys me, if we aren't going to be on FTA we should at least get a better timeslot for attending (such as Saturday afternoon/twilight or Sunday afternoon).

It's interesting because I think very few people from Brisbane travel to Metricon to watch the Suns and vice versa. I know the Gold Coasters hated (with a passion) travelling to the Gabba to watch their team play and couldn't wait until that first game at Metricon. While I think people in Brisbane have an attitude like they are too good to travel to a lesser stadium on the Gold Coast (look at the QClash crowd earlier this year).

The second bit is probably true. I know some people who refuse to go there and some who will only go there if the Lions are playing. I do think more of our fans would have made the trip down if it was a 4.40pm start and/or if it wasn't raining. As I said it will be interesting to see how many GC supporters make the trip us next weekend.

I don't mind Carrara, it's actually a nice stadium (a gazillion times better than it was pre-redevelopment) and the Suns are building a decent cauldron like atmosphere, but public transport is poor, especially compared to the 'Gabba.

When you look back at the glory days of the Lions, they were playing Saturday night nearly every week and I think the people up there have struggled to adjust to life as a normal AFL scheduled club while also not having success they were used to. Hopefully the Suns fans can buck the QLD trend of a passing interest in a team while they are successful.

Two big differences.

1) Back in those days Saturday Night games were at 7.10pm. It was pushing it but it wasn't ridiculously late like those 7.40pm starts
2) Most of those games were shown on FTA interstate - national(ish) exposure.

This will be my last post on this because I don't want to derail the thread too much.

I've been to the 'G and Dome a million times, a few times to Stadium Australia, the SCG and I've been to Kardinia Park. But I've never been to Metricon :(

When I see and hear you guys talk about the intricacies of it all up there though its just so different. Even with this prime time slot - it just sounds so foreign to me. You'd kill for that game down here!
Is it simply the transport? I guess that plays a big part. As you know, it's ridiculously easy to catch a train or tram out of the G out east, or just walk 10 mins back to Flinders if you need to go west. From the Dome, well, Southern Cross station is on top of it!
I'm thinking (and this could be totally crazy) it might be a lifestyle thing too? I mean, I'm guessing its pretty easy to get up early on the GC given the sun. You wouldn't want to sleep in cuz you'd be too hot right? I found I was waking when as the sun rose when I go up there on holidays. Therefore you go to bed earlier? Down here = cold, wet weather means sleeping in is a fine option on weekends. I know that no one hits the pubs/clubs down here until at least 10pm, so the primetime games suit that too down here.

As for pre game stuff, the best I've experienced was the Dons maybe 4/5 years ago at the Dome,where they had massive player cut-out type things lining the bridge between Southern Cross station and the Dome. They had a lights show along the way, with laser type things, audio from the greatest on field moments. Then when they ran out they cut the lights and had the air raid sirens blaring. Really rated it. Not sure you could do anything like that at Metricon though.
The pre-game and mid-game entertainment at the G and Dome are basically non-existent. James McElroy on a microphone sporadically talking to fans, or making everyone wave or something for cash. Pretty crappy.

Yeah that took me by suprise as well, but it was worth noting it was raining for a bit in Brisbane. Also I was talking about in terms of national exposure. That game was live on FTA across Australia.

None of our Saturday Night home games have been on FTA in Victoria since the new TV deal came into place. That really annoys me, if we aren't going to be on FTA we should at least get a better timeslot for attending (such as Saturday afternoon/twilight or Sunday afternoon).

Yeah I can totally see your point. The Lions are in a tough position. They'll never do better than the Broncos, regardless of how either team is going. I just hope the fans don't drop away even more. Brisbane is, after all, the third biggest market in Australia.

The second bit is probably true. I know some people who refuse to go there and some who will only go there if the Lions are playing. I do think more of our fans would have made the trip down if it was a 4.40pm start and/or if it wasn't raining. As I said it will be interesting to see how many GC supporters make the trip us next weekend.

I don't mind Carrara, it's actually a nice stadium (a gazillion times better than it was pre-redevelopment) and the Suns are building a decent cauldron like atmosphere, but public transport is poor, especially compared to the 'Gabba.

I'm not sure how many Suns fans will make the trek up the M1, especially after the loss today. The public transport is a joke and always has been. It has to be fixed. 40,000+ will be at the stadium in January for the Big Day Out and I just don't see how it can work smoothly. There will be problems.

Two big differences.

1) Back in those days Saturday Night games were at 7.10pm. It was pushing it but it wasn't ridiculously late like those 7.40pm starts
2) Most of those games were shown on FTA interstate - national(ish) exposure.

This will be my last post on this because I don't want to derail the thread too much.

Fair call. 7:10pm was definitely better. I think a lot of it has to do with the Lions being the best team in the AFL at the time as well. The AFL are more inclined to put the better teams on a Friday night and neither QLD team really fits that bill at the moment.

Nah mate, please keep going. It is definitely an issue for both clubs and I was a bit younger in those days and don't remember every detail. I just remember turning on channel 10 and seeing the Lions play on Saturday night almost every week.

Yeah I can totally see your point. The Lions are in a tough position. They'll never do better than the Broncos, regardless of how either team is going. I just hope the fans don't drop away even more. Brisbane is, after all, the third biggest market in Australia.
I'm probably wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Lions were getting better crowds than the Broncos during the threepeat era. The Lions were definitely getting more media coverage at the time.

I don't really pay much attention to these code war dick measuring contests though.

I'm not sure how many Suns fans will make the trek up the M1, especially after the loss today. The public transport is a joke and always has been. It has to be fixed. 40,000+ will be at the stadium in January for the Big Day Out and I just don't see how it can work smoothly. There will be problems.
GC supporters should drive up to the Eight Miles Plains bus stop and then take the free bus.

I've been to all the Q clashes and the crowd split has been roughly:
Q-Clash 1 - Suns home game, Gabba, 25k, 50/50 7.10pm start
Q-Clash 2 - Lions home game, Gabba, 23k, 90/10 Lions 7.10pm start
Q-Clash 3 - Lions home game, Gabba, 22k, 90/10 Lions 7.40pm start
Q-Clash 4 - Suns home game, Carrara, 17k, 65/35 Suns 4.40pm start
Q-Clash 5 - Suns home game, Carrara, 13k, 80/20 Suns 7.40pm start (admittedly affected by massive rain)

The first Q-Clash is an obvious outlier as it is the first Q-Clash and a Suns home game at the 'Gabba, but the other games show that 4.40pm start had the biggest away turn-up and roughly the same amount of away fans make the trip up/down for the night games. That's why I'm interested to see how many Suns fans make the trip up on Saturday.

Fair call. 7:10pm was definitely better. I think a lot of it has to do with the Lions being the best team in the AFL at the time as well. The AFL are more inclined to put the better teams on a Friday night and neither QLD team really fits that bill at the moment.
I've accepted that the Lions will never get Friday Nights on a regular basis, even if we were to have another threepeat era. Friday Nights is pretty much accepted as the "Broncos slot" and it does neither code any good to have the Broncos and Lions playing at the same time.

Nah mate, please keep going. It is definitely an issue for both clubs and I was a bit younger in those days and don't remember every detail. I just remember turning on channel 10 and seeing the Lions play on Saturday night almost every week.

I miss seeing Christi Malthouse in her prime ;)

Back in the old days all our home games apart from Easter Thursday would either be a 7.10pm Saturday game or a 1.10pm Sunday game. Never understood why we never got a Saturday afternoon home game until this year.

I've been to the 'G and Dome a million times, a few times to Stadium Australia, the SCG and I've been to Kardinia Park. But I've never been to Metricon :(
Don't worry mate, I'm sure you'll get your chance soon enough. Wouldn't mind hearing what you think about Kardinia Park given it is in a regional part of Australia similar to the GC.

When I see and hear you guys talk about the intricacies of it all up there though its just so different. Even with this prime time slot - it just sounds so foreign to me. You'd kill for that game down here!
I was hoping for a Victorian perspective on it all and you have delivered in spades. I suppose it's really hard to comprehend for some people down there because it's something they have done for so long that it couldn't possibly be done any other way. This is what I love about our game though, every team has different needs and appeals to their market in different ways. If I was honest I'd say I think the Victorian teams are actually quite lazy when it comes to promotion and other things but it doesn't matter because the sport is under no threat down there. People will accept mediocre efforts in Victoria, up here you have to work really hard to get interest.

Is it simply the transport? I guess that plays a big part. As you know, it's ridiculously easy to catch a train or tram out of the G out east, or just walk 10 mins back to Flinders if you need to go west. From the Dome, well, Southern Cross station is on top of it!
Transport is no doubt a huge issue. Getting around Melbourne is very easy but it also helps that your stadiums are located relatively close to the CBD. Metricon Stadium isn't really close to anything of significance. You would be surprised how far it is from Surfers Paradise. To further that point you would probably also be surprised how far our famous theme parks are from Surfers Paradise (if you haven't been there). Seeing as majority of tourists who visit the Gold Coast stay in Surfers Paradise, they need to devise a way to make it easier to get to the stadium from the beach side.

I'm thinking (and this could be totally crazy) it might be a lifestyle thing too? I mean, I'm guessing its pretty easy to get up early on the GC given the sun. You wouldn't want to sleep in cuz you'd be too hot right? I found I was waking when as the sun rose when I go up there on holidays. Therefore you go to bed earlier? Down here = cold, wet weather means sleeping in is a fine option on weekends. I know that no one hits the pubs/clubs down here until at least 10pm, so the primetime games suit that too down here.

Could be on to something. I'm acclimatised to our conditions but I definitely feel more inclined to stay up a bit later when I'm in Melbourne. When I'm in an ideal sleeping pattern I will often wake up at the crack of dawn as well so I think you might have a point. As for the clubs, I think that hurts football here. It is similar here in that the clubs don't start to fill up until 10pm at the earliest but when you are in Carrara it isn't the easiest task to get to Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach. There is a shuttle to Cavill Avenue after the game but I doubt many people go straight to the clubs after a game. In fact, I'm not sure many people even know about it. You get home somewhere between 11-11.30 and you start to be really put off by the idea of going out again. This is my theory, I could be wrong.

As for pre game stuff, the best I've experienced was the Dons maybe 4/5 years ago at the Dome,where they had massive player cut-out type things lining the bridge between Southern Cross station and the Dome. They had a lights show along the way, with laser type things, audio from the greatest on field moments. Then when they ran out they cut the lights and had the air raid sirens blaring. Really rated it. Not sure you could do anything like that at Metricon though.
The pre-game and mid-game entertainment at the G and Dome are basically non-existent. James McElroy on a microphone sporadically talking to fans, or making everyone wave or something for cash. Pretty crappy.

That pre-game show in the Essendon match sounds spectacular. You couldn't cut the lights here given it takes a while to turn them back on but I'm not even sure you could do anything like that here, as you pointed out. I knew there wasn't much down there but like I said above, people will accept it down there. Some people up here seem almost as interested in some of the entertainment as the game itself.

I'd love to go down to the MCG or Etihad one day.

I also think Saturday Nights games are different here than in Melbourne because in Melbourne you can most likely go to an afternoon AFL game before hand while you can't do that up here.

Strangely enough the weather for me is the biggest turnoff. I can deal with the transport but Carrara has always been in a rain pocket. If its raining anywhere on the coast it'll be worse at Carrara. It affects the quality of the game with the natural slipperiness of the ball up here due to humidity during night matches and the inclement weather we've had in recent years makes the game less of a spectacle. I would love a roof that could give us Etihad quality conditions for wet nights. Wishful thinking :(

I'm probably wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Lions were getting better crowds than the Broncos during the threepeat era. The Lions were definitely getting more media coverage at the time.

I don't really pay much attention to these code war dick measuring contests though.

Figured I'd get the stats anyway. Good call.

Broncos
2001 - 19k
2002 - 20k
2003 - 24k
2004 - 28k

Lions
2001 - 27k
2002 - 26k
2003 - 31k
2004 - 33k

The Broncos did use the QE2 back then so that may be a factor. From 2005 onward the Broncos have been clearly the better of the two in terms of the attendance and I don't know how the Lions would be able to turn that around now. But you are right, they should be able to live harmoniously together.

GC supporters should drive up to the Eight Miles Plains bus stop and then take the free bus.

I've been to all the Q clashes and the crowd split has been roughly:
Q-Clash 1 - Suns home game, Gabba, 25k, 50/50 7.10pm start
Q-Clash 2 - Lions home game, Gabba, 23k, 90/10 Lions 7.10pm start
Q-Clash 3 - Lions home game, Gabba, 22k, 90/10 Lions 7.40pm start
Q-Clash 4 - Suns home game, Carrara, 17k, 65/35 Suns 4.40pm start
Q-Clash 5 - Suns home game, Carrara, 13k, 80/20 Suns 7.40pm start (admittedly affected by massive rain)

The first Q-Clash is an obvious outlier as it is the first Q-Clash and a Suns home game at the 'Gabba, but the other games show that 4.40pm start had the biggest away turn-up and roughly the same amount of away fans make the trip up/down for the night games. That's why I'm interested to see how many Suns fans make the trip up on Saturday.

Do you think the fact that the Lions fans didn't show up to Metricon will deter Suns fans from going to the Gabba this week? Are we actually that childish here or am I way off?

I've accepted that the Lions will never get Friday Nights on a regular basis, even if we were to have another threepeat era. Friday Nights is pretty much accepted as the "Broncos slot" and it does neither code any good to have the Broncos and Lions playing at the same time.

We had a similar situation here with the Titans in the Suns first year. Luckily the Suns pulled a bigger crowd on each occasion and the Titans put in requests to not clash with the Suns.

I miss seeing Christi Malthouse in her prime ;)

Back in the old days all our home games apart from Easter Thursday would either be a 7.10pm Saturday game or a 1.10pm Sunday game. Never understood why we never got a Saturday afternoon home game until this year.

Haha Christi Malthouse, that is a blast from the past. No doubt the Lions got great scheduling back then.

Strangely enough the weather for me is the biggest turnoff. I can deal with the transport but Carrara has always been in a rain pocket. If its raining anywhere on the coast it'll be worse at Carrara. It affects the quality of the game with the natural slipperiness of the ball up here due to humidity during night matches and the inclement weather we've had in recent years makes the game less of a spectacle. I would love a roof that could give us Etihad quality conditions for wet nights. Wishful thinking :(

Surely you can see the public transport is inadequate though? The rain is a huge factor, don't think anyone would deny that. We can't control the weather but we can fix our joke of a transport system. You think there is a possibility they may fill in the stadium one day and make a bigger roof? You can't exactly go back once you do that though, you'd want to be sure the capacity is right, which is almost impossible to do in one of the fastest growing areas in the southern hemisphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry mate, I'm sure you'll get your chance soon enough. Wouldn't mind hearing what you think about Kardinia Park given it is in a regional part of Australia similar to the GC.

I was hoping for a Victorian perspective on it all and you have delivered in spades. I suppose it's really hard to comprehend for some people down there because it's something they have done for so long that it couldn't possibly be done any other way. This is what I love about our game though, every team has different needs and appeals to their market in different ways. If I was honest I'd say I think the Victorian teams are actually quite lazy when it comes to promotion and other things but it doesn't matter because the sport is under no threat down there. People will accept mediocre efforts in Victoria, up here you have to work really hard to get interest.

Transport is no doubt a huge issue. Getting around Melbourne is very easy but it also helps that your stadiums are located relatively close to the CBD. Metricon Stadium isn't really close to anything of significance. You would be surprised how far it is from Surfers Paradise. To further that point you would probably also be surprised how far our famous theme parks are from Surfers Paradise (if you haven't been there). Seeing as majority of tourists who visit the Gold Coast stay in Surfers Paradise, they need to devise a way to make it easier to get to the stadium from the beach side.

Could be on to something. I'm acclimatised to our conditions but I definitely feel more inclined to stay up a bit later when I'm in Melbourne. When I'm in an ideal sleeping pattern I will often wake up at the crack of dawn as well so I think you might have a point. As for the clubs, I think that hurts football here. It is similar here in that the clubs don't start to fill up until 10pm at the earliest but when you are in Carrara it isn't the easiest task to get to Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach. There is a shuttle to Cavill Avenue after the game but I doubt many people go straight to the clubs after a game. In fact, I'm not sure many people even know about it. You get home somewhere between 11-11.30 and you start to be really put off by the idea of going out again. This is my theory, I could be wrong.

That pre-game show in the Essendon match sounds spectacular. You couldn't cut the lights here given it takes a while to turn them back on but I'm not even sure you could do anything like that here, as you pointed out. I knew there wasn't much down there but like I said above, people will accept it down there. Some people up here seem almost as interested in some of the entertainment as the game itself.

1. Kardinia park was old and decaying I felt. The new Players Stand was awesome. Really intimidating from ground level too. Everywhere else though was cold, old and fairly average. The stand where there are no seats - just old school cement steps was a real throw back and reminded me of Victoria Park in the good old days. It attracts a lot of drunken thugs though. I guess you'd say it suits the area - suburban and a bit behind the times. Sorry Geelong natives.

2. Yeah, I mean, I still now wrestle with the concept of you guys hating on that timeslot. As you said, it's just been that way for so long, I can't imagine anything else! I genuinely despise the twilight (4:40ish) slot. Completely ruins your day given that you waste the afternoon and evening there. I kinda like it being one or the other. All of my mates etc are the same. But horses for courses I guess.

3. I've stayed in Surfers and been out to all the theme parks and I was totally shocked! I actually couldn't believe it. You hear it's a fair way out but you sort of just push it to the back of your head and think "oh yeah". Then you make the. Trek and you're like "holy hell". We whinge about the walk from Flinders to the G being too far!!! Haha. :oops:

4. Yeah I guess it's a placement thing: we've always gone from the game - to a Pub - to a club. Skipped going home given you're already where you want to be in the city! With. The distance between Metricon and Surfers I guess it's completely different.

5. In Sydney I hated the pre game stuff to be honest. Maybe I'm just used to having nothing. It does look kinda funny seeing all the carnival stuff at Metricon on tv. And all the advertising for the bands. I can see why all the Vics think we're running a circus up there haha. I tell you what though, I honestly believe that a return of the Reserves comp would benefit the AFL. With there being 5-6 standalone AFL linked VFL clubs this year in the VFL (e.g. Collingwood, Essendon VFl teams) and the NEAFL Suns, Lions etc., I can't see why a Reserves comp played as a curtain raiser wouldn't work? It just makes so much sense to me. The only argument I can think of is scuffing up the field. But really... And if it was such a big problem, play it the morning after or straight after the game. It's one of my pet hates. It should be brought back! Haha

1. Kardinia park was old and decaying I felt. The new Players Stand was awesome. Really intimidating from ground level too. Everywhere else though was cold, old and fairly average. The stand where there are no seats - just old school cement steps was a real throw back and reminded me of Victoria Park in the good old days. It attracts a lot of drunken thugs though. I guess you'd say it suits the area - suburban and a bit behind the times. Sorry Geelong natives.

2. Yeah, I mean, I still now wrestle with the concept of you guys hating on that timeslot. As you said, it's just been that way for so long, I can't imagine anything else! I genuinely despise the twilight (4:40ish) slot. Completely ruins your day given that you waste the afternoon and evening there. I kinda like it being one or the other. All of my mates etc are the same. But horses for courses I guess.

3. I've stayed in Surfers and been out to all the theme parks and I was totally shocked! I actually couldn't believe it. You hear it's a fair way out but you sort of just push it to the back of your head and think "oh yeah". Then you make the. Trek and you're like "holy hell". We whinge about the walk from Flinders to the G being too far!!! Haha. :oops:

4. Yeah I guess it's a placement thing: we've always gone from the game - to a Pub - to a club. Skipped going home given you're already where you want to be in the city! With. The distance between Metricon and Surfers I guess it's completely different.

5. In Sydney I hated the pre game stuff to be honest. Maybe I'm just used to having nothing. It does look kinda funny seeing all the carnival stuff at Metricon on tv. And all the advertising for the bands. I can see why all the Vics think we're running a circus up there haha. I tell you what though, I honestly believe that a return of the Reserves comp would benefit the AFL. With there being 5-6 standalone AFL linked VFL clubs this year in the VFL (e.g. Collingwood, Essendon VFl teams) and the NEAFL Suns, Lions etc., I can't see why a Reserves comp played as a curtain raiser wouldn't work? It just makes so much sense to me. The only argument I can think of is scuffing up the field. But really... And if it was such a big problem, play it the morning after or straight after the game. It's one of my pet hates. It should be brought back! Haha

Interesting about Kardinia. I guess we are lucky that Carrara was actually levelled because it was a joke of a venue before the redevelopment. The drunken thugs part is intriguing because we don't really get that up here at all. That's not to say I haven't seen it at games in Melbourne though haha.

I can imagine how surprising it was when you went to the theme parks. I think Victorians just have this view that everything is really close to the Surfers Paradise beach here. Not your fault, we market it that way haha.

I guess when it comes to the timeslot and going out after the game, you really have to look at who the game is trying to attract. They are pushing for a generational change because it is next to impossible to convince a person in the 20s or older, that supports rugby, to consistently attend Suns games. They are targeting the kids and the method will work, it's just going to take time. When I was in Melbourne, I felt like games were predominantly targeted at the 16-34 year old male demographic. Might be blowing your mind a little here because some of these things may be issues you have never even thought about haha.

Does the fact that they raise a Suns flag before every game to the tune of 'Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles' help or hinder that carnival view? haha. There are a few issues with the national reserves comp. My club (Port) has a SANFL team that isn't even our reserves team, don't ask. I think the NEAFL is about as close as we are going to get to a national reserves comp these days (19 team, 2 states, 2 territories, 4 AFL reserves teams). If we can get to a point where every team has their own reserves team then maybe we can start talking about a reserves comp again. Having said that, I have no idea why they stopped it in 1999.

free supporters stuff for kids. eg; cardboard signs, plastic footys, streamers, etc.

make the (bloody mid strength!!) beer cheaper.

skills clinics at halftime. give coaches, dads and kids in the crowd an idea of what drills to practice.

and just to expand on the skills clinics...it could be an invitational thing where local and rural u12 sides are invited to participate with SUNS training staff. the reason for u12s is that they are old enough to kick straight...(most of them) and young enough to completely thrilled by the experience.

Figured I'd get the stats anyway. Good call.

Broncos
2001 - 19k
2002 - 20k
2003 - 24k
2004 - 28k

Lions
2001 - 27k
2002 - 26k
2003 - 31k
2004 - 33k

The Broncos did use the QE2 back then so that may be a factor. From 2005 onward the Broncos have been clearly the better of the two in terms of the attendance and I don't know how the Lions would be able to turn that around now. But you are right, they should be able to live harmoniously together.
South East Queensland is a bandwagon area.

Do you think the fact that the Lions fans didn't show up to Metricon will deter Suns fans from going to the Gabba this week? Are we actually that childish here or am I way off?
Not sure.

Also in terms of Suns game day experience I actually quite like having a live band playing after the game and the music played at Carrara is a lot better than the crap we cop at the 'Gabba. I also like having an adjacent field so fans can have a kick-to-kick at half time (when it isn't closed like it was yesterday). The ground does have a carnival feel to it. I think it's a smart way to get the kids wanting to come back.

free supporters stuff for kids. eg; cardboard signs, plastic footys, streamers, etc.

make the (bloody mid strength!!) beer cheaper.

skills clinics at halftime. give coaches, dads and kids in the crowd an idea of what drills to practice.

and just to expand on the skills clinics...it could be an invitational thing where local and rural u12 sides are invited to participate with SUNS training staff. the reason for u12s is that they are old enough to kick straight...(most of them) and young enough to completely thrilled by the experience.
I know they hand out cardboard signs on entry and the players give out footballs after the game. They also gave out flags for the 'wave your flag' campaign. Don't think the food and beverages prices will ever go down, just something we'll have to live with.

You don't think the AusKick kids at halftime fits the bill of an U12 skills clinic? I know it's not exactly training but I certainly got a thrill out of playing on the Gabba at halftime when I was younger.

I'm curious tigernova, I understand you come from a league background so is that where these ideas came from? If so, do you think you could transfer these ideas into an AFL game day experience and do it well? If not, have you seen anything at league games that you think the Suns could use?

I never really took much notice of the outside activities when going to Broncos or Titans games so I wouldn't know. I went to a Roar game once at Suncorp and they had a miniature goal post set up to have a kick at goal but that's about it.

When I was in Melbourne, I felt like games were predominantly targeted at the 16-34 year old male demographic. Might be blowing your mind a little here because some of these things may be issues you have never even thought about haha.

Does the fact that they raise a Suns flag before every game to the tune of 'Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles' help or hinder that carnival view? haha.
You're 100% right on that. I've never even thought about it, but the target demographic here seems markedly different to what it is up there. I guess the 'get the kids' approach is a smart one. It will take time though. I hope we're given the 20 years as planned.

Haha please tell me you are joking about the flag raising??? Please?? Hahaha

You're 100% right on that. I've never even thought about it, but the target demographic here seems markedly different to what it is up there. I guess the 'get the kids' approach is a smart one. It will take time though. I hope we're given the 20 years as planned.

Haha please tell me you are joking about the flag raising??? Please?? Hahaha

Well obviously the inevitable success is going to help draw more people but they want a nice core of supporters who will be in the 20s in 10-15 years when the team will drop off. I saw Demetriou tell the media not long ago that the Suns do double the amount of community work as any other club in the AFL. That stat doesn't surprise me one bit and it is how they are going to overtake the Titans in the future. Patience is key.

Haha it's no joke, the flag is shown on the big screen while it is being raised. There is also a one minute count down on the big screen in which they play the guitar solo from November Rain - Guns n Roses. I don't mind the countdown but I know some visitors from southern states have said they hated it.

I know they hand out cardboard signs on entry and the players give out footballs after the game. They also gave out flags for the 'wave your flag' campaign. Don't think the food and beverages prices will ever go down, just something we'll have to live with.

You don't think the AusKick kids at halftime fits the bill of an U12 skills clinic? I know it's not exactly training but I certainly got a thrill out of playing on the Gabba at halftime when I was younger.

I'm curious tigernova, I understand you come from a league background so is that where these ideas came from? If so, do you think you could transfer these ideas into an AFL game day experience and do it well? If not, have you seen anything at league games that you think the Suns could use?

I never really took much notice of the outside activities when going to Broncos or Titans games so I wouldn't know. I went to a Roar game once at Suncorp and they had a miniature goal post set up to have a kick at goal but that's about it.

the great thing about opinion is that it is a perspective seen through the eyes of different people. im not saying what i suggest is right or better, it is just what i see from where im at, or what is important to me right now. yes im very interested in how to teach different skills, and the drills to best aid learning. the fathers i speak to at kids footy are also interested in this stuff. so its natural that i would like to see it coming from the elite trainers in the country at halftime at a SUNS game.

rugby league has got nothing on AFL for its support of fans, kids and community presence. if one is to draw from rugby league anything, it would be to learn from its failures. if there is something that RL does right, it is playing reserve grade or u20's games before the main game.

as for the posters that the SUNS hand out at some games.....bloody great idea. thats why i mentioned it. it was their idea, and i know my kids missed them when there wasnt any available last time. i just think they could be available all the time?

auskick at AFL games is a great idea. RL do have halftime RL games of invited u8's teams. last year my sons u8s team were invited to play on suncorp at the break between the knights and broncos. it was a huge buzz for him, and me as i was the coach and also ran onto the field. but the AFL also do this better. not only is there halftime auskick games, kids and dads also have a chance to have a kick on the field after a game. ..absolutely amazing.

as i said, the auskick idea at halftime is great, but i know i, and others would be interested in seeing an exhibition of coaching and skills performed by kids who are still only young, but have got to a point where people can see the quick progress kids can make at such an early age. mums, dads and young kids in the crowd could see how quickly one can become proficient and perhaps get them motivated to become involved in the game?

Haha did I turn darkwingduck off from ever attending a game at Metricon 'Carnival' Stadium? To add to that, I think Metricon can use a nickname as well like other stadiums around the country. Carrara is a bit bland in my opinion. Perhaps a play on words like Carranival? or a shorter version of the sponsors name like The Met. Anyone else have any ideas?

the great thing about opinion is that it is a perspective seen through the eyes of different people. im not saying what i suggest is right or better, it is just what i see from where im at, or what is important to me right now. yes im very interested in how to teach different skills, and the drills to best aid learning. the fathers i speak to at kids footy are also interested in this stuff. so its natural that i would like to see it coming from the elite trainers in the country at halftime at a SUNS game.

rugby league has got nothing on AFL for its support of fans, kids and community presence. if one is to draw from rugby league anything, it would be to learn from its failures. if there is something that RL does right, it is playing reserve grade or u20's games before the main game.

as for the posters that the SUNS hand out at some games.....bloody great idea. thats why i mentioned it. it was their idea, and i know my kids missed them when there wasnt any available last time. i just think they could be available all the time?

auskick at AFL games is a great idea. RL do have halftime RL games of invited u8's teams. last year my sons u8s team were invited to play on suncorp at the break between the knights and broncos. it was a huge buzz for him, and me as i was the coach and also ran onto the field. but the AFL also do this better. not only is there halftime auskick games, kids and dads also have a chance to have a kick on the field after a game. ..absolutely amazing.

as i said, the auskick idea at halftime is great, but i know i, and others would be interested in seeing an exhibition of coaching and skills performed by kids who are still only young, but have got to a point where people can see the quick progress kids can make at such an early age. mums, dads and young kids in the crowd could see how quickly one can become proficient and perhaps get them motivated to become involved in the game?

Definitely. You have a very different perspective on things which I think is great. I can see what you mean and it seems like you are pretty satisfied with the overall effort but would like it to be slightly tweaked. Fair enough, I guess it's only natural for someone that hasn't come from an Aussie rules background to want to know/learn the fundamentals. Given you have children, would you say the generational change is going to work for AFL on the Coast?

Haha did I turn darkwingduck off from ever attending a game at Metricon 'Carnival' Stadium? To add to that, I think Metricon can use a nickname as well like other stadiums around the country. Carrara is a bit bland in my opinion. Perhaps a play on words like Carranival? or a shorter version of the sponsors name like The Met. Anyone else have any ideas?

Definitely. You have a very different perspective on things which I think is great. I can see what you mean and it seems like you are pretty satisfied with the overall effort but would like it to be slightly tweaked. Fair enough, I guess it's only natural for someone that hasn't come from an Aussie rules background to want to know/learn the fundamentals. Given you have children, would you say the generational change is going to work for AFL on the Coast?

mate, ive said it before. AFL is going to murder NRL on the coast and australia wide. RL now has a tiny population of people that are dominating the game. parents are getting turned off RL because of the bigger Polynesian kids who are filling rep sides and running rampant over the majority demographic. never before, has this been the case. its only the last 10 years that this has happened. when the huge demographic cant see its reflection in RL, the game will fade, parents will turn to other high profile sports where their demographic is reflected.

i dont begrudge the polynesian kids their chance, im just saying, the majority are going to avoid it.

AFL will be the winner.

mate, ive said it before. AFL is going to murder NRL on the coast and australia wide. RL now has a tiny population of people that are dominating the game. parents are getting turned off RL because of the bigger Polynesian kids who are filling rep sides and running rampant over the majority demographic. never before, has this been the case. its only the last 10 years that this has happened. when the huge demographic cant see its reflection in RL, the game will fade, parents will turn to other high profile sports where their demographic is reflected.

i dont begrudge the polynesian kids their chance, im just saying, the majority are going to avoid it.

AFL will be the winner.

Can't help but agree. The three major groups of people migrating to the Coast are Asians, Polynesians and Victorians. The point you put across coupled with the migration facts shows the AFL is going to naturally have progression in the city. Add to that the fact that the Suns are a completely community-based model who have (and will always) be extremely active in the community, you can't help but see the Suns takeover. The Titans were actually quite good with their community work at the beginning of their existence (it showed in their crowd figures) but they have seriously dropped off and lost a lot of fans.

The Gold Coast public also love a winner and the Suns are setting up for a period of 8-10 years in which they will be very competitive. Not too mention all the financial troubles the Titans had while the Suns were at their worst. It's obvious what is going to happen but a lot of RL fans are in denial and won't listen to reason. Anyway, what would you change in terms of timeslots, transport, opponents etc.?

Can't help but agree. The three major groups of people migrating to the Coast are Asians, Polynesians and Victorians. The point you put across coupled with the migration facts shows the AFL is going to naturally have progression in the city. Add to that the fact that the Suns are a completely community-based model who have (and will always) be extremely active in the community, you can't help but see the Suns takeover. The Titans were actually quite good with their community work at the beginning of their existence (it showed in their crowd figures) but they have seriously dropped off and lost a lot of fans.

The Gold Coast public also love a winner and the Suns are setting up for a period of 8-10 years in which they will be very competitive. Not too mention all the financial troubles the Titans had while the Suns were at their worst. It's obvious what is going to happen but a lot of RL fans are in denial and won't listen to reason. Anyway, what would you change in terms of timeslots, transport, opponents etc.?

personally i dont find transport a concern. although the north supporters i spoke to damned it. locals will always find the easiest route. it is the opposition fans we need to cater for.

timeslots is a catch 22. prime time on tele means late nights and smaller crowds. my guess is as we get better, we are going to get bigger crowds...and prime time slots.

opponents.i dont know much about the politics of the draw. but i would guess that the biggest drawing crowds are going to get home games for big matches? if thats the case, we do need to help opposition supporters get to metricon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back