Strategy WCE Tackling Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Early in the WCE app’s text commentary of Sunday’s game, it said the Eagles have recorded a tackle efficiency this season of just 62% - the lowest ranked in the competition.

This means that more than 1 out of every 3 tackles we attempt are ineffective and/or broken.

This doesn’t take into account the fact we are already a low tackling side and often prefer to corral rather than tackle.

So not only do we choose to tackle less, but when we do tackle they are often ineffective.

I’ve always thought we don’t tackle enough, but we out-tackled Collingwood by 20 or so on the weekend (mind you they were very poor in this regard).

Ignoring the corralling vs tackling aspect for a moment, if we did stick more tackles and get that efficiency up, we would be an even stronger side.

I wish this would be something we work more on over the pre-season. Get a tackling coach in, even if we zone off more, it would be good to ensure that when we do tackle it is more likely to dispossess the opponent and lead to more turnovers that way, rather than relying on intercept turnovers.

Mods, move into another thread if you think this isn’t threadworthy

I agree with you. Our tackling is a weak link in our game. It is better this year with less corralling but we really need to stick more. Unfortunately, we have several weak tacklers I doubt can improve much (although Gaff has improved - still not the best but improved a lot). Whilst a tackling coach would be great, it is also a style of player we haven't drafted much of - hard at the ball and man types.

I can’t find stats to compare because I assume it’s owned by CD, but this article says in 2015 the two highest ranked across the year averaged 70%, the lowest ranked averaged 65%, and all other sides were in the 67% to 69% range.

So despite having a great year, we are well below what would be considered normal when it comes to tackling effectively.

Something we could improve on?

Since 2016, full-ground pressure is something that we've found for 4 or 5 games a year when under the pump; abandoning us in other key moments. If we're going to win a premiership, it'll need to be consistent. Thought we did a great shut-down job on Adelaide for 3 quarters (lacked those forwards to finish the game for us), did enough to hold back the Giants' spread and obviously overran Collingwood. That's 3 weeks in a row, can it continue?

Yeah mentioned it last week after the GWS game. So many of our guys just stick an arm out and let the oppo just brush us aside. Doesn't help that for the most part, our mids are still small and weaker than most teams. Gaff, Masten and co are terrible tacklers in general. They have impoved slightly, but more often that not they just get brushed aside. Is very frustrating to watch

We zone off to get possession ...gov hurn Barras take a lot of intercepts

We could be bees to hunny pot but I don’t think that would work for us

We also play on a bigger ground so uncontested footy is common for us

I’d like to see the stats on which tackles to turnover or free .....

A guy might break a tackle but the perceived pressure might a bad kick.

That said in big finals match we need to bring heat because our tackling in the 2015 grand final was diobolical bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a problem for a few years now, so the stat of low ( 62% efficiency ) really should come as no surprise.

Its compounded by the fact that we have players in the side who cant even lay a tackle let alone an effective one.
Yes # 7 I am talking about you.

The % will only get worse now as our most effective and high count tackler NN is sidelined.

Oh for some more Desperados in the side remember players such as Worsfold, Wilson, Stenglein, Lewis , Chick, Miles all players that ran chased and tackled.
These guys had tackles that stuck and they tackled hard with some ferocity.

We have some that do this but a few more in the side would be handy, you only need two or three players in the team that don't put in to drop the % a few points.

When teams collectively take tackling to its zenith they can play above themselves ..... Anyone remember what the Doggies achieved two years ago on the back on manic pressure acts and tackling.

It should be a consideration when we draft players, having said that last year we drafted two very good tacklers in Ainsworth and Brayshaw, so I am looking forward to them helping improve what is a pretty shameful stat.

Anyone know what our tackle efficiency was in the Richmond game? That seemed high.
Can’t find the stats anywhere unfortunately. Presuming you have to pay for a champion data subscription or something.

I’m suprised we are getting worse in this area.

From watching games I would have said we are tackling more and our pressure is significantly higher than the last few years.

I think this year the non calls for incorrect disposal and HTB have increase, so I wonder if all team tackle efficiency is down.

The other thing is that most stats in AFL I think become pretty superficial when read in isolation. We are sitting 2nd on the ladder and having a pretty good year. Maybe letting tackles slip creates easier intercept marks that leads to a more efficient and faster forward movement, compared to getting holding the ball in a heavily congested midfield.

When we win the flag this year, everyone will start copying us and tackling efficiency will drop for everyone.

We zone off to get possession ...gov hurn Barras take a lot of intercepts

We could be bees to hunny pot but I don’t think that would work for us

We also play on a bigger ground so uncontested footy is common for us
That’s not quite the point of the thread - the stat isn’t about zoning off and deciding not to tackle, it’s showing how effective it is when we actually do decide to tackle.
I’d like to see the stats on which tackles to turnover or free .....

A guy might break a tackle but the perceived pressure might a bad kick
The tackles leading to free kicks would be incorporated somewhat into the efficiency stat. Impossible to get a free kick from a broken tackle.

But yeah i imagine a lot of broken tackles do lead to intercept turnovers, but that’s probably more about McGovern and Hurn’s positioning than the pressure itself.

Our defence is clearly built on the back of the zone rather than tackling - which is a problem if teams can pick apart the zone

I’m suprised we are getting worse in this area.

From watching games I would have said we are tackling more and our pressure is significantly higher than the last few years.

I think this year the non calls for incorrect disposal and HTB have increase, so I wonder if all team tackle efficiency is down.

The other thing is that most stats in AFL I think become pretty superficial when read in isolation. We are sitting 2nd on the ladder and having a pretty good year. Maybe letting tackles slip creates easier intercept marks that leads to a more efficient and faster forward movement, compared to getting holding the ball in a heavily congested midfield.

When we win the flag this year, everyone will start copying us and tackling efficiency will drop for everyone.
Yeah good points. I wouldn’t be surprised if our total tackle attempts have gone up since 2015 (which is the only stat I could find). This would lead to a lower efficiency.

You’re right that it probably plays into our hands in terms of the Web, but I’m just a bit scarred from that Essendon game and how we just let them waltz through to goal

Yeah good points. I wouldn’t be surprised if our total tackle attempts have gone up since 2015 (which is the only stat I could find). This would lead to a lower efficiency.

You’re right that it probably plays into our hands in terms of the Web, but I’m just a bit scarred from that Essendon game and how we just let them waltz through to goal

I can’t remember any game against Essendon this year, it must of never happened.

In seriousness their attack and speed through the middle was impressive. That style of play can and does burn teams, but generally it isn’t sustained for 4 quarters. Finding a plan B and being able to switch to it quickly when teams do get a run on early (Essendon game) or late (Adelaide) would be great, but it’s easier said than done.

I would be interested to see Richmond’s tackling efficiency numbers because again I wonder if it is the pressure and intensity that is more important that made tackles.

That’s not quite the point of the thread - the stat isn’t about zoning off and deciding not to tackle, it’s showing how effective it is when we actually do decide to tackle.

The tackles leading to free kicks would be incorporated somewhat into the efficiency stat. Impossible to get a free kick from a broken tackle.

But yeah i imagine a lot of broken tackles do lead to intercept turnovers, but that’s probably more about McGovern and Hurn’s positioning than the pressure itself.

Our defence is clearly built on the back of the zone rather than tackling - which is a problem if teams can pick apart the zone

I get your points

My point is our style of play isn’t like Sydney who just barge in at every contest

I suspect our players often decide to tackle of another option isn’t available ....sounds odd that we are taught t9 naturally tackle the player ...but some players evasive skills are so good that tackling sometimes and I emphasise sometimes is not the best idea.....

I can’t remember any game against Essendon this year, it must of never happened.

In seriousness their attack and speed through the middle was impressive. That style of play can and does burn teams, but generally it isn’t sustained for 4 quarters. Finding a plan B and being able to switch to it quickly when teams do get a run on early (Essendon game) or late (Adelaide) would be great, but it’s easier said than done.

I would be interested to see Richmond’s tackling efficiency numbers because again I wonder if it is the pressure and intensity that is more important that made tackles.
Yeah I’ll ask my mate this weekend if he has access to CD - he works for one of the afl clubs

i think Jetta lowers our tackling efficiency a bit. On Sunday I saw him try to tackle some guy and looked like he literally just brushed both hands down the guy's side. Would have been funny if it wasn't from my team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back