We are closing in!

Remove this Banner Ad

We now have the luxury of 2 used frangers for the last h&A games. Can experiment. REally doesn't make much diff whether we finish 5 or 8th, unless happen to play Port away - but even that isn't a big deal I don't think, AAMI is a home away from home.This game really highlighted the need for Didak and perhaps Seedsman in the finals - players with excellent and creative disposal into the F50. F50 delivery was often poor and wasted a lot of opportunities. Also probably Krak if fit and firing, as a brilliantly creative one-touch crumber. I'll be p'd off if Didak is not picked next week though, and the members should be more p'd because they are paying his salary. Shame about DAisy, could literally be the diff between a GF or not a GF this year.

Hudson apparently was v good as a marking forward last week. I know it's just a one-off but might be worht a try in the seniors. A very experienced murderous gorilla as a forward could work well alongside Cloke and Reid, especially in finals. I guess that would mean dropping the Q unfortunately (I actually think he is starting to play pretty well so don't share the Q-hate around here, but seemed like his back may have started troubling him again Friday nite). The other option is Jolly as second ruck but not sure he would be as good as a forward. Can try him the week after if Huddo doesn't work. Reid is agile enough to also be a crumber so is a v versatile forward.

As far as Dawks go, the above might just make up the difference but I think they are just better organized than us and their type of setup and training obviously is well suited to us, and their pressure was enormous Friday so beat us at our own game there. obviously the coaches need to watch the tigers and Geelong games about 50 times to figure out what they do vs Dawks. But yes, best answer is if we avoid them in finals this year and let Geelong get rid of them.

And Hawks current game plan was bought in to counter our 2010/2011 press and also cuts up zones.
To reiterate:
Forward press used successfully against Geelong and St Kilda 2010
What have Collingwood done to beat Hawthorn 2012-2013?

To reiterate:
Forward press used successfully against Geelong and St Kilda 2010
What have Collingwood done to beat Hawthorn 2012-2013?

Not sure what your point is, or its relevance, and to make the point using same logic let me ask you.
What have Hawks done to beat Cats over the same period?
What have Cats done to beat the Pies?

This is a game of inches and despite both Cats and Hawks being flag favourites they still have boogey sides as Hawks are for us.

I was pleased with the effort from the boys. We didn't give in, and held hawthorn for most of the game. The difference was just execution really.

Hawthorn stuck their tackles better and Hawthorn used the ball better. Franklin had his kicking boots on, but Cloke and Reid did not.

Realistically, you cant blame the boys for poor skills considering the wind...but the problem is that Hawthorn played the game as if the conditions were perfect. Their foot skills remained at a high level.

On the other hand, our kicks seemed to carry too far, our handballs off target and we were fumbly. The perceived pressure was huge.

There were so many goal-scoring opportunities we simply botched. You simply can't afford to make so many errors against Hawthorn.

We did well though to keep coming back. We just need more composure and to stick all our tackles. It would help if the ball would bounce our way once in a while too.

I would love another crack at them this year because I think we can get them. But we need to play the perfect game to do it. You can see the Hawks feel confident playing us. We almost look hesitant.

I was pleased with the effort from the boys. We didn't give in, and held hawthorn for most of the game. The difference was just execution really.

Hawthorn stuck their tackles better and Hawthorn used the ball better. Franklin had his kicking boots on, but Cloke and Reid did not.

Realistically, you cant blame the boys for poor skills considering the wind...but the problem is that Hawthorn played the game as if the conditions were perfect. Their foot skills remained at a high level.

On the other hand, our kicks seemed to carry too far, our handballs off target and we were fumbly. The perceived pressure was huge.

There were so many goal-scoring opportunities we simply botched. You simply can't afford to make so many errors against Hawthorn.

We did well though to keep coming back. We just need more composure and to stick all our tackles. It would help if the ball would bounce our way once in a while too.

I would love another crack at them this year because I think we can get them. But we need to play the perfect game to do it. You can see the Hawks feel confident playing us. We almost look hesitant.
Hawks had to play in the wind too. I hate hearing excuses like this.

Sums it up really well for me and the effort across the entire group was great. Probably sounds a bit trite, but we took it right up to them and matched them physically - thought Goldsack, Blair, Grundy and Macaffer on Mitchell led the way there and the Hawks knew they were in a game. We had enough of the ball and made them cough the ball up under pressure just as often as they got us - just made too many skill errors going forward and their finishing was of their usual high standard.

I think this year is written off for us.
We blooded more players than any other team this year which shows we're on a rebuild.
Switch over to Hawthorn, they're chasing the flag NOW. All their players are about the age of 26-32?
Next year few will retire there, then 2014 another few. Hawthorne are on the decline in my opinion.
Given our performance even though we have so many youngs is a big positive for us next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang in there as long as possible and ride some good luck through the series. We are not the best team, but our best is good enough to be the best team on the day. Although we may need some luck along the way!

If we play them again, can we play better than we did on Friday? Definitely.

Can they play better? I would doubt it. Buddy might not get an armchair ride either.
Of course they can play better. The side we selected was as good as it got for 13. They have guys like Guerra and Sheilds that can also come in. They were patchy and still beat us by 6 goals. Watch them win by 10+ goals if we meet again.

Of course they can play better. The side we selected was as good as it got for 13. They have guys like Guerra and Sheilds that can also come in. They were patchy and still beat us by 6 goals. Watch them win by 10+ goals if we meet again.
Can't help playing little guessing games on which team you support mate. One thing for sure is that you're not a Collingwood supporter. If you were you'd have to be the most negative person I've ever had the displeasure to come across. Can't say I've read a post of yours that wasn't bagging the coaches or players or being totally negative about the club for a fairly long time. That's not to say they don't exist but on balance it's fairly obvious you don't support the same club that I do.

Do you ever stop to think that they play in patches because they're actually not that good?

Go and watch the entire last quarter. We played miles better than they did and still lost it by a point. A little bit of brushing up on the finishing and we'll get them next time.

Hawks had to play in the wind too. I hate hearing excuses like this.
Lol did you read the next line in my post??? The one where I say that Hawks played in the same conditions and did it better??

What I am saying is that I can understand why our footskills were so bad. The problem is that the best sides like Hawthorn still maintain a high skill level.

It's the difference between us finishing 5th-8th or 1st-4th.

I think it was the most telling difference of the game. Our effort was there and we did really well to continually fight back. Problem is that Hawthorn just executed better. Their kicking was accurate, they kicked the crucial goals and their tackles stuck.

We were fumbly, messed up opportunities, missed goals and missed tackles.

We just need more composure against the Hawks. We look nervous playing them.

Sums it up really well for me and the effort across the entire group was great. Probably sounds a bit trite, but we took it right up to them and matched them physically - thought Goldsack, Blair, Grundy and Macaffer on Mitchell led the way there and the Hawks knew they were in a game. We had enough of the ball and made them cough the ball up under pressure just as often as they got us - just made too many skill errors going forward and their finishing was of their usual high standard.

So if you match them physically and still lose comfortably what does that tell you?

Tells you they are a superior skilled side and we don't have the 22 to beat them in 2013.

Well I think their last 2 goals were scored in the last 2 minutes when the game was done and dusted. I think 22 points was a more accurate reflection.

I also think that 22 points is the result of again having a 5 minute lapse where we let them get a few goals on us.

The third quarter was a really tough ferocious contest. We botched so many scoring opportunities, but also defended the Hawks well. Unfortunately they kicked the only few goals of the term and it took the game away from us.

I don't think we are as far away as you suggest...but clearly we need to get the skill level right against the Hawks and stick our tackles better.

Lol did you read the next line in my post??? The one where I say that Hawks played in the same conditions and did it better??

What I am saying is that I can understand why our footskills were so bad. The problem is that the best sides like Hawthorn still maintain a high skill level.

It's the difference between us finishing 5th-8th or 1st-4th.

I think it was the most telling difference of the game. Our effort was there and we did really well to continually fight back. Problem is that Hawthorn just executed better. Their kicking was accurate, they kicked the crucial goals and their tackles stuck.

We were fumbly, messed up opportunities, missed goals and missed tackles.

We just need more composure against the Hawks. We look nervous playing them.

Pretty simple answer to that is we don't have a whole lot of skilled (by foot) players, Hine likes to draft players who excell in areas but may get let down by foot skills and decision making. The press and boundary line game plan allowed these poor kicks to not be as obvious, now that is being countered (teams set up for our long bombs and use it to score against us).

We need to change some personnel to address it.

I'd agree with that. And I suppose it explains us recruiting Young...and taking Kennedy as well. Two guys with good foot-skills. Probably not seeing it with Kennedy yet but it was a highly rated part of his game.

Young has obviously been injured.

I think it was also addressed by playing Seedsman more as he is quick and has nice skills.

I don't think we are at rebuild stage. I think we just need to tinker with a few areas. Kind of like 2009 when we needed a ruckman and an in and under.

Maybe this year we need to look at a Dal Santo because we miss a nice left foot kick.

Aaaaand once again:
Thanks for prediction, Mr. f*cking psychic! Your opinion means nothing more than anybody else's does.

Can't help playing little guessing games on which team you support mate. One thing for sure is that you're not a Collingwood supporter. If you were you'd have to be the most negative person I've ever had the displeasure to come across. Can't say I've read a post of yours that wasn't bagging the coaches or players or being totally negative about the club for a fairly long time. That's not to say they don't exist but on balance it's fairly obvious you don't support the same club that I do.
He's a troll. A really piss poor troll too. I've never seen anything positive come out of this guy before; all just pathetic attacks on our players, coaches and club. When shown facts in some other threads that rendered his arguments bullshit he basically ignored those posts and kept attacking.
Side by side, THATSGOLD. Otherwise you can GTFO, mmmkay.:):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back