Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he will most likely be sacked next year.

It's his 4th year and surely the internal expectation is finals or to be within a bee's dick of the finals next year.

Personally I think he goes into 2023 as a dead man walking and will need a miracle to still have a job in 2024.

I don't see him lasting much longer than the bye next year.

It's his 4th year and surely the internal expectation is finals or to be within a bee's dick of the finals next year.

Personally I think he goes into 2023 as a dead man walking and will need a miracle to still have a job in 2024.

I don't see him lasting much longer than the bye next year.
I honestly think it depends on the draw. If they get 4 charity wins from next years Roos/Eagles equivalents again, then I think Nicks could easily have fluked his way into cementing his job by the bye, (with an early 'private grand final' type performance or two.)

Alternately, I don't really see the squad being strong enough to grind out a respectable record if the draw is bad.

I honestly think it depends on the draw. If they get 4 charity wins from next years Roos/Eagles equivalents again, then I think Nicks could easily have fluked his way into cementing his job by the bye, (with an early 'private grand final' type performance or two.)

Alternately, I don't really see the squad being strong enough to grind out a record if the draw is bad.

I don't think a few wins against cellar dweller teams will save Nicks next year

The fact that he's getting a 4th year with his record is already out of the ordinary, I don't see how he gets a fifth year without making the finals.

I don't think the club can afford to waste any more time treading water with a coach that is not taking them anywhere.

I don't think a few wins against cellar dweller teams will save Nicks next year

The fact that he's getting a 4th year with his record is already out of the ordinary, I don't see how he gets a fifth year without making the finals.

I don't think the club can afford to waste any more time treading water with a coach that is not taking them anywhere.
To be clear. I think form won't significantly improve next year and Nicks will lose his job over it. Probably around the bye as suggested, or in the last 2/3 rounds.

But, I also think it's a very real possibility that the club is still trying to suppress expectations with rebuild rhetoric this time next year. Particularly if the off-field controversies ramp up as expected, they'll be stressing how important the clean break* from the previous coach was regardless of cost.

Personally I think Nicks surviving due to this is more likely than him surviving due to the team becoming competitive.

(*A further complication to this is that I think Nicks era incidents will be dragged into the 'camp' drama.)

To be clear. I think form won't significantly improve next year and Nicks will lose his job over it. Probably around the bye as suggested, or in the last 2/3 rounds.

But, I also think it's a very real possibility that the club is still trying to suppress expectations with rebuild rhetoric this time next year. Particularly if the off-field controversies ramp up as expected, they'll be stressing how important the clean break* from the previous coach was regardless of cost.

Personally I think Nicks surviving due to this is more likely than him surviving due to the team becoming competitive.

(*A further complication to this is that I think Nicks era incidents will be dragged into the 'camp' drama.)

What off-field controversies are going to ramp up?

Absolutely cooked.

No pressure, no running just walking everywhere.

Rush hack kicks forced to get intercepted rinse repeat.

This bottom line - it was nauseating to watch.

That and the kick out to congested pack to the right (of the tv screen) every damn time!!

Must be so easy coaching against us, no surprises..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I watch a lot of footy and I'm fairly confident that outside of Norf, you don't see oppo players free in such vast numbers than what we allow. Our gameplan doesn't change much under heat. Dawson is being played to stifle his creativity at the expense of our I50 entries. I really do feel that Nicks has no idea how to adapt to circumstances and that our victories this year are more to do with the sheer force of will of our players. I'm not saying he doesn't get some stuff right some weeks but I don't grt inspired by what he brings.

There is a reason nice guys mostly finish last. I feel like a bloke with his demeanour and mentality needs to be in a head of footy role or some sort of role that allows him to keep a playing group connected rather than head coach.

Glad we locked in our continuity 22 for the last half of the year. Imagine if we’d given games to Newchurch or Taylor, we may not have beaten Carlton and would have finished 15th instead of 16th.

Just add Sloane, Rankine and Rachelle and this is the 25 that are pre-locked in for next year. Exciting times, who would have guessed that contending selection philosophy would be identical to rebuild selection philosophy?

Glad we locked in our continuity 22 for the last half of the year. Imagine if we’d given games to Newchurch or Taylor, we may not have beaten Carlton and would have finished 15th instead of 16th.

Just add Sloane, Rankine and Rachelle and this is the 25 that are pre-locked in for next year. Exciting times, who would have guessed that contending selection philosophy would be identical to rebuild selection philosophy?

Lets just wait and see what happens with our squad changes - delistings/retirements/trades then re-assess.

Lets just wait and see what happens with our squad changes - delistings/retirements/trades then re-assess.

We may see Rowe go and almost certainly Davis. Other than that, the rest of the first 25 are contracted and highly unlikely to be on the move. And once our first is severely downgraded for a small forward, any further trade ins won’t be of much impact to the 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We may see Rowe go and almost certainly Davis. Other than that, the rest of the first 25 are contracted and highly unlikely to be on the move. And once our first is severely downgraded for a small forward, any further trade ins won’t be of much impact to the 25.
We need to see a lot more aggressive changes than that if we are to progress. I don't think pick 5 is going anywhere. Whether we use it or split it we shall see. If the Rankine trade goes through I think it will be a future first pick with something coming back our way. The Horne Francis ship has sailed so using our future first on Rankine seems logical. I think we will see Rowe definitely traded, Davis delisted, McAsey traded, Crouch traded, Seedsman retired, Milera traded(one can hope), Sholl traded, Turner delisted. I wouldn't be adverse to Keays and or Doedee traded as well.

We need to see a lot more aggressive changes than that if we are to progress. I don't think pick 5 is going anywhere. Whether we use it or split it we shall see. If the Rankine trade goes through I think it will be a future first pick with something coming back our way. The Horne Francis ship has sailed so using our future first on Rankine seems logical. I think we will see Rowe definitely traded, Davis delisted, McAsey traded, Crouch traded, Seedsman retired, Milera traded(one can hope), Sholl traded, Turner delisted. I wouldn't be adverse to Keays and or Doedee traded as well.

Only Rowe in that lot is in our top 25. Milera unlikely to be traded, all but worthless at this moment anyway.

I don't see how we bring in Rankine without giving up Pick 5

The talk around is that GC are going to go into the trade period asking for 2 first rounders for Rankine.

We all know that the Vic media are going to push his value up so I think Pick 5 will be around the mark of what gets it done.

I would love to come up with a scenario where we keep 5 and still manage to bring in Rankine, but I think it's a pipe dream.

Who are the biggest player haters on this forum?

Keays: Beardedclam
Crouch: NRabbit
Ned: Skittlebrew
Frampton: Scorpus
Chayce: Froggy
Fogarty: Vader

Last edited:
Who are the biggest player haters on this forum?

Keays: Beardedclam
Crouch: NRabbit
Ned: Skittlebrew
I will take on the portfolio of Frampton and approach the governer general of BigFooty to hold a secret Himmelberg portfolio as well

I don't see how we bring in Rankine without giving up Pick 5

The talk around is that GC are going to go into the trade period asking for 2 first rounders for Rankine.

We all know that the Vic media are going to push his value up so I think Pick 5 will be around the mark of what gets it done.

I would love to come up with a scenario where we keep 5 and still manage to bring in Rankine, but I think it's a pipe dream.

If the cost is Pick 5, I would want us to walk away. Rankine is a luxury item. We need to sort out the midfield first. Would be like sticking an F1 Spoiler on a Hyundai Getz.

Back