We need a great song for the crowd to get into before the game....

Remove this Banner Ad

I can appreciate what you're saying. As per my thread title I was referring to a song pre-game just before the bounce. Having been to both Port and our home games I think Port is gold standard in the AFL with - Never tear us apart just before than bounce like being at Anfield or a Hammers home game. I also don't mind the Lions roar after a goal or the Rooster's crowing after a try.

It wouldn't work for us as a Crow crowing is not a pleasant sound but maybe Bruce piped over the PA ''special'' after a goal ;)
Really? Gold standard? FMD youre easily pleased.

Having been to both our home games and Port home games I think Port’s are ******* embarrassing. Hold a scarf over your head and sing a dirge and get a tear in your eye because the song is so meaningful and…wait no it’s not. It’s utter s**t.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind that theatrical sort of one they play in the countdown. We don't really need a singalong. Leave that cringe to the filth.
I'm happy with a piece of music that give you goose bumps and builds the anticipation with no lyrics or singing.

We have something a bit like this already but I'd like something a bit more in your face.

I think I have mentioned this before, but many years ago (pretty sure it was in the pre-Chapman era) the club floated the idea of playing Rod Stewart - You're In My Heart before games.

ironically at the time I can remember most of the ridicule about it coming from Port supporters who were phoning up 5AA saying how much of a stupid idea it was and that it ripped off Liverpool etc.

I wasn't a fan of it mainly because it screamed boomer and played into the stereotype of our supporters base being retirees.

Really? Gold standard? FMD youre easily pleased.

Having been to both our home games and Port home games I think Port’s are ******* embarrassing. Hold a scarf over your head and sing a dirge and get a tear in your eye because the song is so meaningful and…wait no it’s not. It’s utter s**t.

The Port song only works because of their persecution complex. It's not much to hang your hat on as a club.

The key to this isnt just the song, its crowd participation and attendance, and our crowds are pretty tame.

The financial cost of membership, price of food and drinks, time getting to and from AO are not favourable for young to middle aged people who are trying to afford a house, support a family, fund study, pay for loans. When the club is losing more than they are winning its an easy call to make for the average supporter. Save 2k a year more for school fees for the kids, or watch your team lose 70% of games. If they are winning, its easier to financially justify the price of attending games.

For people well established in life who have reached financial stability, kids moved out, house loan paid down or living on a heathly retirement fund then attending football doesnt come at the cost of sacrificing something else. So fix on field performance and start winning games before introducing any song otherwise it will be an embarrassment like never tear us apart then losing week in week out.

The song would need to be something that pulls the crowd in, leave them no choice but to join in. Accompanied with a video mash up of Crows top plays, crowd cheering or singing the chosen song, lyrics and the artist performing. Maybe the song choice could be given to a different member each week, but must meet certain guide lines

I have always loved this video as it pulls me in and always has me pumped after. I cant help but not join in. Not saying this is what I would pick, but it ticks boxes for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the comments on here are peak Adelaide. Two things can be true at the same time, you can find the Pear NTUA pre-game cringe, and it can also be an amazing and rousing experience for their supporters. Part of what you probably find cringe, if you could actually manage your bias, is that they love it so much.

Pre-game isn’t for opposition supporters, it’s for the team fans. Our pre match is terrible. But too many of our fans are change and engagement resistant. I’d love to see us try something gritty, more Metallica and less Foo Fighters.

To be honest, I'm happy with the instrumental dramatic music we have during the 60 second countdown, but then I don't violently object to music after goals (though that feels a bit more natural for AFLW matches than AFL matches).

Crows .. Vikings... I love the Icelandic war chant..... Now that would be awesome!

But maybe just for select games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back