Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t be bothered venturing over to the Lions board but how are they feeling about the Beams trade
Feeling the pain like we did 4 years ago.
Dodrongo still talking about himself and not making sense.
The rest are ok.

I've seen the clip, not sure how it was taken out of context. Another point is that it's the line the club website is running with rather prominently, so they're evidently happy to have the comment taken 'out of context'.

I won't dwell too much on it. We're all a bit too precious about some things, I have enough self-awareness to know that I'm probably too precious about this.

Here's me having a crack at giving him the benefit of the doubt, because why not?...

Having watched the Channel 9 interview, where he was addressing both clubs and not just ours, he made a point (twice) of saying he loves both clubs.

So when he says his heart has always been with Collingwood, perhaps what he meant was that while he was a Lion he was dedicated to them and loved his teammates and the people at the club, but he never lost his affection for Collingwood (despite a messy and temporary break up).

Him telling his dad that he would end up back at the Pies was very telling indeed.

What I can understand the Lions and their supporters being dirty on was the B&F stuff, which in hindsight appears ill advised.

Not really, cost us plenty when he left and we were fortunate that we picked up some good players and now costing us plenty in him coming back.

Brisbane and Dayne big winners in the deal. Anyway we don't all need to agree.

Now the deal is done and when/if he makes us better then I will join you and others.

So he cost us lots when he left but we picked up good players? Ok :thumbsu:

Here's me having a crack at giving him the benefit of the doubt, because why not?...

Having watched the Channel 9 interview, where he was addressing both clubs and not just ours, he made a point (twice) of saying he loves both clubs.

So when he says his heart has always been with Collingwood, perhaps what he meant was that while he was a Lion he was dedicated to them and loved his teammates and the people at the club, but he never lost his affection for Collingwood (despite a messy and temporary break up).

Him telling his dad that he would end up back at the Pies was very telling indeed.

What I can understand the Lions and their supporters being dirty on was the B&F stuff, which in hindsight appears ill advised.

I'm not going to dwell on it, really I'm not...

In the scheme of things it was a careless remark which shouldn't have been made. The careless remark combined with his protestations of love and loyalty at the Lions B&F are very unfortunate.

To be honest, I don't much think about the feelings of Lions fans, but I know that people who've given Beams their time and effort over four years might reasonably feel trodden on by such a careless remark.

But we move on, and I won't dwell on it any more.

Dayne decided at the end of 2014 that the best place for him to play footy and be with his family was at Brisbane. It was unfortunate on a few fronts, but the Lions were happy to make it work and they made a new home for him up there.

Beams is quoted as now saying that his heart 'has always been with this club (Collingwood)'. There is a lack of graciousness and gratitude in that comment that staggers me. Maybe it is the Lions, and maybe the tendency is to rub their noses in it, but that football club --like all football clubs-- has some decent and generous people in it who welcomed and worked with Beams over four years, and they deserve better.

I'm otherwise happy to have another talented midfielder on our list. He makes us a stronger team.
So would you rather he said his heart is with Brisbane and leaving Collingwood meant nothing? Your interpretation of him saying his heart has always been with Collingwood, the club he developed at and won a flag with as a percieved slight against Brisbane is ridiculous. Reminds me of the growing number of weak butterfly SJW inhabiting todays society that find reasons to get offended by anything and everything.
Go to the Brisbane board now 1 in 5 are saying good things most are smashing him.
So? I never said all Brisbane supporters were saying this. Of course a lot of them are bitter, that's how it works when your teams good players leave the club. The fact is, there is no reason for any Brisbane supporters to talk a number of times about how influential he was in moving the Brisbane culture in a positive direction after he's left the club if there's no truth to it.

The past is the past - Dayne has rightly recognised that Collingwood is home. Says just as much about the improved culture of the club these days as it does about how Beams may have left a few years ago.

We've traded pick 18, a late teens pick next year (hopefully), pick 56 for..

De Goey, Crisp, Greenwood, picks 41 & 44. Just lost Beams for a few years ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify the starting of welcome threads.
We have asked TradeDraft to wait until it's official and post content, not "more to come".
Whilst we acknowledge TD likes to start the welcome threads it's not his exclusive domain.
Yezeha unfortunately you went a bit early, (and it was deleted accordingly) as your thread was started at 8.19pm.
TD started his thread at 8.28pm.
Here's the official tweet...
Trade paperwork officially lodged. Brisbane Lions trade Dayne Beams, Rd 3 (41) (on traded from Gold Coast Suns), Rd 3 (44) (on traded from Gold Coast Suns) to Collingwood for Rd 1 (18), Rd 3 (56) and Future Rd 1 Selection.

8:27 PM - 17 Oct 2018

FYI Magpie Girl Gone Critical Jasper84 76woodenspooners

Thanks Dave I know most people will appreciate it besides ottoman. ;)

Even if you are a Turk that eats vegemite I still love you mate. :hearteyes:

Wednesday Hugs XO
Haha.
Hand on heart I actually thanked him for the link before I came across this post.
So you were wrong about me not appreciating it you Greek basterd.

End of trade hugs.

Don't need to be smart arse!

You cherry picked my reply to you to emphasise your point....by copying only one sentence from my post.

You don’t like Beams I get it........fair enough.

Don’t take it personally Maggie5 but I am a smartarse by nature.

Just to clarify the starting of welcome threads.
We have asked TradeDraft to wait until it's official and post content, not "more to come".
Whilst we acknowledge TD likes to start the welcome threads it's not his exclusive domain.
Yezeha unfortunately you went a bit early, (and it was deleted accordingly) as your thread was started at 8.19pm.
TD started his thread at 8.28pm.
Here's the official tweet...
Trade paperwork officially lodged. Brisbane Lions trade Dayne Beams, Rd 3 (41) (on traded from Gold Coast Suns), Rd 3 (44) (on traded from Gold Coast Suns) to Collingwood for Rd 1 (18), Rd 3 (56) and Future Rd 1 Selection.

8:27 PM - 17 Oct 2018

FYI Magpie Girl Gone Critical Jasper84 76woodenspooners

Thanks MODS for Clearing that Up

We could have used some icing a few weekends ago!

Lack of a KPD or KPF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> another midfielder.

We lost the GF because of our inability to stop West Coast forwards continuously taking marks inside their F50 (either contested or on the lead) in the 2nd half, and our inability to do the same at our end.

Kennedy, Barrass and Gov took 30 marks between them. And I would suggest most were in key positions.
We knew from the outset that stopping West Coasts marking game would be the difference between winning and losing. In the end the weight of those numbers became too much.

Last edited:
From Nicks from a Person who is Close to Beams Family:

Ok folks I'm a unashamed Beams fan everyone knows that here because of my relationship with his father and seeing him grow up
There's a couple things I'll now share
It was Collingwood or no one for him in Melbourne simple as that
The process dragged out because the lions tried to get his manager to deal with other clubs they thought they could get a better deal at
Dayne stood his ground and said "I'll honour my contract at the lions if you can't get a deal done with Collingwood"
He's very good mates with Sidey who attended his fathers funeral earlier in the year as did Eddie
I posted after Dayne's dad passed on the gratitude Dayne had for the club and Eddie from the first moment they found out his father was sick
Dayne made a decision at the time based on his love for his father
It's been mentioned before he's been receiving professional help dealing with the loss of his father because footy was the passion that bound them so close
Whenever he thought footy everything good about it involved his dad
I don't know if people realise or not but his father attended all home games at the lions sat in the same seats watching his sons play together
That joy was one he took to his grave
Dayne has said publicly running out at the Gabba each home game is very hard because he looks to where his father used to sit and it reminds him each time his not around any longer
Having 2 small children and no family left in Queensland the move home is a based on life after footy and support for his wife and young family
Dayne won't make anywhere near the same money and he would have staying at the lions
Yes he was handsomely rewarded at the lions but it wasn't as front loaded as the media make it seem
He would have still received around $750k a season for the next 2 years there which is going to be a lot more than he gets at Collingwood
We didn't pay 2 X 1st round picks as such for him as many think
Pick 18 and next years pick which is likley to be 12 or lower less the value of the picks we got back make it around pick 18 and pick 26 when the points differential is taken into account
We got pick 6 and 26 for him and gave up 18 & 26 and added JDG Crisp and Greenwood to our list
The picks 41 & 44 might be the points we need not to go into debt on next years draft
Well it's a done deal now we've added 25-30 tocuhes a game and a goal a game to our already stunning midfield

You cherry picked my reply to you to emphasise your point....by copying only one sentence from my post.

Leaving this post in full so you don't get antsy. I replied to your first point in the previous post.

No other way to take it, hope you are proud being a smartarse.

Haha.
Hand on heart I actually thanked him for the link before I came across this post.
So you were wrong about me not appreciating it you Greek basterd.

End of trade hugs.

Whatever Vegemite eater.......backtracking quicker than Michael Jackson I see :p

By the way what’s a Greek Basterd? :drunk: Get off the Raki Dude.

Instead of complaining some should be grateful for the three factors that have allowed us the freedom to trade for Beams with a trade cost that is effectively our 2019 1st round selection. Without them I doubt Beams would be a Collingwood player tonight.

Factor 1. A successful season that meant our 1st round selection didn't fall to pick 18.
Factor 2. An academy prospect we seemingly value around this mark.
Factor 3. A bidding system that allows you to bundle lower grade draft selections to pay for a higher end talent.

These factors have enabled us to trade pick 18 away as part of the deal for Beams and see picks 41/44 received that will go the majority of the way to covering the cost of Quaynor. People will argue that a bid for Quaynor may not have come prior to pick 18 and it could have been a live selection. This is true but I'd argue we rate his worth at pick 18 and are very comfortable taking him with our first selection in this draft.

Another reason to be comfortable with our decision to trade for Beams is the availability of father son prospect Will Kelly who is expected to attract a 2nd round bid. While I expect us to fall into some deficit matching a bid for Kelly being able to acquire a key position talent in this range using the points remaining from our 3rd round selection/s and without actually possessing a 2018 2nd round pick isn't such a bad result.

For me it's bulltish any notion we have sold away our future for a soon to be 29yo midfielder and we have struck a great balance between maximising our Premiership potential next year all the while acquiring two players we would have taken if we headed to the draft with the same hand to play when the trade period commenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back