Player Watch Anton Tohill (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tall hill he is to be sure.

Anyone have any extra Info about recruiters rating this guy as a top ten prospect this year? Heard a channel 7 reporter mentioned it but that’s all. If true that’s an absolute score by us.

Anyone have any extra Info about recruiters rating this guy as a top ten prospect this year? Heard a channel 7 reporter mentioned it but that’s all. If true that’s an absolute score by us.

Ned Guy said something along those lines when we recruited him and the journos have run with it. It's a bit of fluff so take it with a grain of salt. Most draft watchers would tell you he'd more likely go rookie given his lack of junior football exposure. Certainly has some top quality athletic traits but he'll need to develop his footy nous. Really keen to see how he goes next year.

Ned Guy said something along those lines when we recruited him and the journos have run with it. It's a bit of fluff so take it with a grain of salt. Most draft watchers would tell you he'd more likely go rookie given his lack of junior football exposure. Certainly has some top quality athletic traits but he'll need to develop his footy nous. Really keen to see how he goes next year.

To be fair though, Hine said much the same when we drafted Cox ... that turned out to be reasonably accurate.

Cheers Qu

Cheers Quicky. He’s one I’ll be watching with interest too. If one out of our two Irish recruits turns into a player we’ll have done well.

To be fair though, Hine said much the same when we drafted Cox ... that turned out reasonably accurate.

True. I still feel the comments are mostly about giving hope and making supporters feel all warm and fuzzy.

To be fair though, Hine said much the same when we drafted Cox ... that turned out to be reasonably accurate.
Did it? I wouldn’t regard Cox as being close to a top 10 type key forward.

Here’s somebodies top 20 from a ‘redo the 2014’ draft thread:

1 DeGoey
2 Andrews
3 Heeney
4 Brayshaw
5 Petracca
6 Lever
7 T Miller
8 O McDonald
9 Lambert
10 Mclean
11 Weller
12 Steele
13 McGovern
14 Moore
15 Daniel
16 Langdon
17 Wright
18 D Butler
19 Marchbank
20 Maynard

Would Cox go ahead of any of these guys? Probably not, maybe Butler, Wright and Daniel due to his height, but my feeling is Cox is still on the improve and could well go past a few more of them. Pity he’s already closer to 30 than 25....

Edit: As per 76woodenspooners below, if he consistently finds his PF form then he shoots up like a rocket. It's a big 'if' though.

We saw what he is capable of in the PF. If he consistently finds that level, then yes, he is a top 10 key forward.

We saw what he is capable of in the PF. If he consistently finds that level, then yes, he is a top 10 key forward.
We saw what Moore is capable of years ago when he tore WC apart before injuring himself too, whilst still a baby KPF, but apparently he only gets rated because of his name....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw what Moore is capable of years ago when he tore WC apart before injuring himself too, whilst still a baby KPF, but apparently he only gets rated because of his name....
Ultimately people are judged against expectations. Moore goes top 10 so anything less than star people will say he has failed, Cox as a category B rookie will get judged more favourably

Here’s somebodies top 20 from a ‘redo the 2014’ draft thread:

1 DeGoey
2 Andrews
3 Heeney
4 Brayshaw
5 Petracca
6 Lever
7 T Miller
8 O McDonald
9 Lambert
10 Mclean
11 Weller
12 Steele
13 McGovern
14 Moore
15 Daniel
16 Langdon
17 Wright
18 D Butler
19 Marchbank
20 Maynard

Would Cox go ahead of any of these guys? Probably not, maybe Butler, Wright and Daniel due to his height, but my feeling is Cox is still on the improve and could well go past a few more of them. Pity he’s already closer to 30 than 25....

Edit: As per 76woodenspooners below, if he consistently finds his PF form then he shoots up like a rocket. It's a big 'if' though.

We did pretty well out of that re-shuffle of the draft. That many in the top 20 is what will set us up for a flag, and we got a taster this year.

It’s all opinion based of course, but still...

Edit: wrong Langdon. Our was drafted the year before.

Last edited:
Ultimately people are judged against expectations. Moore goes top 10 so anything less than star people will say he has failed, Cox as a category B rookie will get judged more favourably

Reality is up until now Cox has performed as well as Moore at AFL level despite starting at opposite ends of the experience/capability spectrum.

We did pretty well out of that re-shuffle of the draft. That many in the top 20 is what will set us up for a flag, and we got a taster this year.

It’s all opinion based of course, but still...

Edit: wrong Langdon. Our was drafted the year before.
It’s always interesting to review a few years later a draft preview.
You can find a old phantom drafts.

Eg De Goey wasn’t anywhere as high on people’s phantoms to his delivered play.

Going to be calling him The Great Anton, comes with nearly ready-made retro styled posters, you can’t beat that.

f1229c422b9ef6434e3e67e5127383ca.jpg

It's a shame that Anton hasn't been able to learn some english before he got here...

I'm just reading through different threads here to see what yous think of all the new Irish lads, but jesus christ every thread it's the same stuff. With the aussie accent yous can hardly talk! ;)

I'm just reading through different threads here to see what yous think of all the new Irish lads, but jesus christ every thread it's the same stuff. With the aussie accent yous can hardly talk! ;)

Unfortunately there’s not much to go off until we see them play a game of footy.

Got an Irish mate who when he first arrived DU was difficult to understand, a few sherbets under his belt and even our other Irish mates can't understand him. A decade in Oz has actually helped his communication....

Sorry, didn't understand a word of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back