Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was it that named him "Farty McLarty" on here?

Every time I read hid name that's what i say in my head. It will stick forever now. :mad::p
Pretty sure it was Dynamics kids. I have to admit, I've been calling him McFarty since I read that too :D

You can't see how many deaf on one side could affect a football player?

Don't see why you're so fixated about this prior to the kid even playing at the club. He can hear, that's what the implant does, gives him hearing. Didn't seem to effect his junior footy and I doubt any club would have considered him if there were any doubts.

Do you have first hand knowledge that suggests otherwise, do know if his implant has pick-ups on both sides of the head, do you know the level of deafness on either side, or are you just enjoying playing the agony aunt at the expense of the kid with a disability?

Watching him at the presser - he strikes me as one of the most humble, authentic 18 year olds around.
Watch him whilst KK is speaking - you can just tell the big fella is a thoroughly good human.
I'm sure the boys can take him out to the St Kilda fest next year to teach him the Collingwood way. :p

He has got a bionic ear , sure his nickname will be Steve Austin the Six Million DOLLAR man
I thought the same but after seeing him get a feel for the facilities at training my suggestion is Magneto.

Ball Magneto.

Magneto_zps5go6gbdw.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think if he does not make it in football he will blame his ears, apparently he has high end peripheral vision, that sounds positive.

This is common amongst hearing impaired people. In fact it's even common amongst CODAs (children of deaf adults) like myself. Same goes for lip reading.

Growing up in a world where sound is less significant than it may be for others, there is a tendency to strengthen other senses even if your own hearing isn't impaired.

So in Farty's case I'm sure that even though his hearing loss has been somewhat compensated for through his implant, his spatial awareness and peripheral vision is pretty likely to be better than average.

For those wondering, a cochlear implant doesn't give you "normal" hearing. It synthesises the processes that your ear would normally take care of. So the result is not like amplification as such... It's a digital approximation of human hearing. Early implants were pretty sketchy and it's not like putting on glasses. We're talking about an implant in your head... It's a major and complex decision for a family to make. Of course technology has improved a great deal over time.

There are also political/social issues regarding implants but that is a really squirmy can of worms that doesn't really relate to footy.

Given that he has had the implant since he was young, his brain would be highly adapted to what it "hears" and it would seem pretty damn normal to him, as he says.

If he says he won't have issues, I 100% believe him. This is something that he, his family and his doctors would have had plenty of discussions about. Our medical staff would be all over it too.

Go Farty. A lot of deaf and hearing impaired footy lovers are delighted to see you get this far and I reckon you'll impress a lot of people.

This is common amongst hearing impaired people. In fact it's even common amongst CODAs (children of deaf adults) like myself. Same goes for lip reading.

Growing up in a world where sound is less significant than it may be for others, there is a tendency to strengthen other senses even if your own hearing isn't impaired.

So in Farty's case I'm sure that even though his hearing loss has been somewhat compensated for through his implant, his spatial awareness and peripheral vision is pretty likely to be better than average.

For those wondering, a cochlear implant doesn't give you "normal" hearing. It synthesises the processes that your ear would normally take care of. So the result is not like amplification as such... It's a digital approximation of human hearing. Early implants were pretty sketchy and it's not like putting on glasses. We're talking about an implant in your head... It's a major and complex decision for a family to make. Of course technology has improved a great deal over time.

There are also political/social issues regarding implants but that is a really squirmy can of worms that doesn't really relate to footy.

Given that he has had the implant since he was young, his brain would be highly adapted to what it "hears" and it would seem pretty damn normal to him, as he says.

If he says he won't have issues, I 100% believe him. This is something that he, his family and his doctors would have had plenty of discussions about. Our medical staff would be all over it too.

Go Farty. A lot of deaf and hearing impaired footy lovers are delighted to see you get this far and I reckon you'll impress a lot of people.
Appreciate this feedback, he doesn't seem to think it's an issue and he doesn't seem like a kid who would use it as an excuse either. So far pretty impressed

Yeah it's definitely a great story. I have 3 deaf cousins and they don't follow AFL all that much but know I go for Collingwood. They saw that we drafted a young kid with a cochlear implant and they were over the moon for him.

Don't see why you're so fixated about this prior to the kid even playing at the club. He can hear, that's what the implant does, gives him hearing. Didn't seem to effect his junior footy and I doubt any club would have considered him if there were any doubts.

Do you have first hand knowledge that suggests otherwise, do know if his implant has pick-ups on both sides of the head, do you know the level of deafness on either side, or are you just enjoying playing the agony aunt at the expense of the kid with a disability?

Errr?

No, I don't know.. that's why I'm asking the question :rolleyes:.

This kid could spend the next decade in our backline and you don't care to find out exactly what his disability is? Junior footy in front of 50 spectators and playing on the MCG with everyone screaming is a very different matter. I'm NOT saying he is going to struggle with it, I'm just trying to ascertain to what degree can he hear? For all I (we) know he could have perfect hearing currently, or he could be completely deaf on 1 side... I'd like to know the basics, I don't think McLarty would be offended.

Errr?

This kid could spend the next decade in our backline and you don't care to find out exactly what his disability is? Junior footy in front of 50 spectators and playing on the MCG with everyone screaming is a very different matter. I'm NOT saying he is going to struggle with it, I'm just trying to ascertain to what degree can he hear? For all I (we) know he could have perfect hearing currently, or he could be completely deaf on 1 side... I'd like to know the basics, I don't think McLarty would be offended.

If youre that interested in the topic theres a whole world of resources available outside of this website. If you cant be bothered then youre just trolling.

well said,and as soon as Sam started speaking for himself he came across as a very impressive person and 1 worthy of anyone,s support.
He obviously has had his share of adversity but he is overcoming them and deserves everyone support I think.

It's apparent to me he doesn't see it as a disability/affect his ability.
Not sure why we need to view it any differently.
Maybe we should focus on the inspirational aspect a bit more.

It's apparent to me he doesn't see it as a disability/affect his ability.
Not sure why we need to view it any differently.
Maybe we should focus on the inspirational aspect a bit more.

Good point.

Most deaf people I've met, regardless of the level of loss they have or what hearing assistance they have, don't really think of themselves as "disabled". I'm sure that some people would find that concept challenging, but it's how many deaf people see themselves. Again, another political can of worms probably not best opened here.

But in relation to Farty, he functions perfectly well within what is often called the "hearing world". Therefore there is no real disability to speak of.

Playing with semantics possibly, but the word "disability" is a loaded one and doesn't seem to be one that really applies in this case.

Errr?

So your asking people who don't know to speculate as your path to knowledge?

I don't care about his disability, I care about his ability, and we'll get a better idea about that over the next few years. No amount of speculation will change that.

Hint - make it a point to catch up with the kid at training or a VFL game and ask him directly if you so desperately need to know.

So your asking people who don't know to speculate as your path to knowledge?

I don't care about his disability, I care about his ability, and we'll get a better idea about that over the next few years. No amount of speculation will change that.

Hint - make it a point to catch up with the kid at training or a VFL game and ask him directly if you so desperately need to know.
But make sure you tap him on the shoulder first!

Errr?

a full house at the g and not sure too many people could hear much anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back