Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Really want to post that Aunty Donna clip about Real Estate, but it's a bit offensive.

Viewer discretion advised.
Thanks hadn’t seen that absolute gold. As someone trying to buy a home 2020-2023 in the worst time ever that gave me reason to laugh out loud surprisingly on the Brighton seafront in November!

Hi, I'm back from Fiji but still on hols.
Just posting this here to reply to all the PM's - Yes, we got our man.
He was always our target player, the only other player we may have taken may have been Duursma. We never had a sustainable interest in Curtin and certainly not enough to make us trade a F1. As the more astute of you may have guessed, our F1 is central to our plans in bringing Smith over next trade period so there was virtually no way we were going to trade it.

Personally very happy the Wiz is at Waverley :)

What was our top 5 in order keeper leaguer ? Out of interest

A couple of things I noted when McCartney was on SEN yesterday arvo with Gazey and Maher re the Wiz ….. RM said that he has traits that you can’t teach and his ability in reading the play was highlighted. I think having him down at the club last couple years has given the club an opportunity to observe and assess his talents giving us a lot of confidence when using our first pick.

And unlike the many pages before this …… not once did anyone make mention of his height!

A couple of things I noted when McCartney was on SEN yesterday arvo with Gazey and Maher re the Wiz ….. RM said that he has traits that you can’t teach and his ability in reading the play was highlighted. I think having him down at the club last couple years has given the club an opportunity to observe and assess his talents giving us a lot of confidence when using our first pick.

And unlike the many pages before this …… not once did anyone make mention of his height!
What's McCartney's post to like ratio? I'd guess non-existent so his opinion is moot.......

Definitely would have an impact. If a player can come in and impress and hold their own in drills at a young age, no doubt our club would significantly take note of that. Almost the best data you can have, is seeing a player first hand in an AFL environment. I'm sure it makes the transition easier for Watson as well knowing some players, coaches, and the facilities etc, and being able to get straight into it.

Looks so clean too. He needs to be for that role and his height.
Just doesn't fumble or double-grab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks so clean too. He needs to be for that role and his height.
Just doesn't fumble or double-grab.

And he can react so quickly to situations, whether it be in disposing of the ball or making a move in another direction. He does it before players react.

The two best parts of the highlights packages (I'm not sure which one it's in) - one where he crumbs a goal in the middle of a pack of players in the goal square, he collected the ball and kicked it in an instant. The second is when he does some Cyril-like sidestepping which bought him space against two players that were closing him down as he's facing the wrong way, he then turns around and then had a cheeky bounce and takes off.

Edit:

Second one is at 3:40

Last edited:
And he can react so quickly to situations, whether it be in disposing of the ball or making a move in another direction. He does it before players react.

The two best parts of the highlights packages (I'm not sure which one it's in) - one where he crumbs a goal in the middle of a pack of players in the goal square, he collected the ball and kicked it in an instant. The second is when he does some Cyril-like sidestepping which bought him space against two players that were closing him down as he's facing the wrong way, he then turns around and then had a cheeky bounce and takes off.
His agility and burst speed is something else. I reckon he will embarrass some very good players. Will be very exciting to watch, can’t wait.

Edit:

Second one is at 3:40

Some Cyril-like movements there.

Looks to play like Papley

I wonder how many other players ten cm or more taller than him also weren't the number one pick, or weren't even taken before him?

I'm not sure you entirely understand the implication of that statement. Neither does the first guy who liked the comment, which is surprising given he just had it explained to him.

You add 10cm to any top 10 pick and they’re probably going pick 1.

I reckon only Reid, Duursma or Wiz with +10cm would go #1

We never had a sustainable interest in Curtin and certainly not enough to make us trade a F1. As the more astute of you may have guessed, our F1 is central to our plans in bringing Smith over next trade period so there was virtually no way we were going to trade it.

This article by Twomey seems to suggest we tried on multiple occasions (as did WC) to trade our F1 to take Curtain and then COS when Curtinwa off the board.

To quote serial moron Dave Mustaine, I ain't superstitious...

But when MLS named Luciano Acosta as the competition's MVP last week:

And the NFL runs with this story on their homepage this week (Darren friggin Sproles people!):

And the Hawks draft the Nick Watson 2 weeks ago, you know that we're living in a moment where the planets are aligning for our first round pick.

If you believe in that sort of thing.

Which I don't. But it's a crazy set of coincidences, and I'm pretty buzzed about the prospect of him featuring in our side next year in this new look forward line we have.

I reckon only Reid, Duursma or Wiz with +10cm would go #1

10cm is enormous. Turns the mids into KPP size players, the KPP size players into Goliaths. It’s a stupid argument for that reason. You could argue the only player it doesn’t completely change their profile is Nick Watson 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back