Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Phillips comes in it’s to free Sicily up to get 35 intercept marks and launch the offense. Not to play forward. Sicily being free in the backline is what got him one AA and robbed of another. I have personally not seen anything to suggest Sicily should play forward, even from watching him actually play forward.

Phillips in. Sicily would be perfect to play the J Cameron role. Let him float up and down the field. He could play any position. Has he the tank though?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I missed the first half but he smashed Lobb today in the second. A bloke who normally kills us in the seniors.

His disposal is a bit shakey and when the ball hits the deck he looks very nervous but he it must be nice for his fellow defenders to know somebody can own the high ball.

Just gets into good positions and gloves them.

Ethan Phillips (20 disposals, 15 marks)

“Ethan and Jai were really strong for us and arguably without those two, especially early in the game, the score could’ve been different. Both Jai and Ethan were very influential in keeping us in the game and around the mark. They were under a lot of fire early with a lot of repeat entries but they both stood up well.”

The HFC website description lists him as 196cm whereas everywhere else says 198cm? Can anyone confirm?

The HFC website description lists him as 196cm whereas everywhere else says 198cm? Can anyone confirm?

He's about 1.012 Serongs (post growth spurt of course).

He's listed as not only 198, but 90 kilos too. On a surface level, it's big enough to stand the monster forwards like Dixon. Like I said in the other thread, I'm not expecting miracles, but if he can make a decent account of himself, a few good spoils and tackles, clunk a few, maybe somewhere in the region of 12 possies, that looks pretty good for the future of our defence.

He's listed as not only 198, but 90 kilos too. On a surface level, it's big enough to stand the monster forwards like Dixon. Like I said in the other thread, I'm not expecting miracles, but if he can make a decent account of himself, a few good spoils and tackles, clunk a few, maybe somewhere in the region of 12 possies, that looks pretty good for the future of our defence.

Wish Sicily and/or Scrimshaw were out there to help by peeling off their opponents to help Phillips out. Maybe CJ or Day spend some time at half back.

Wrapped for the lad. Done it the hard way, probably thought his dream had passed him by after being overlooked numerous times but never gave up, worked his ass off and now he's about to make his dream a reality.

Good luck to him on Sunday. His debut is a bit like Calsher's, walking into a very undermanned zone for his first game.

Hopefully he can clunk a few early to settle the nerves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the chance to interview him after he joined our list in February.

He has afl elite qualities. His body work is good, as is his hands, sticky mits and intercept ability is top notch, kills contests. Not overly quick and average at ground level but dominates his strength areas. Something Sam loves.

Wrapt to see him get his chance, no point having him on the list and not knowing if he has what it takes or not. Only one way to find out. Wish him all the best and if he can play the way we need him to in defence and show versatility with being able to lockdown when needed but also intercept when required, then he can potentially make a huge difference to how we structure down back.

Liked his game a lot. Good in the air, gave off handballs quickly, or a short kick when he got it and provided us some structure. It was a team defence, and also the weather wasn't great for talls, but something to work with and at worst seems very handy depth.

Has his weaknesses, but wonder when surrounded by Weddle, Amon, Mitchell, Impey, and soon Sicily that they won't be quite as pronounced as first thought if he plays within his limitations.

Last edited:
Liked his game a lot. Good in the air, gave off handballs quickly, or a short kick when he got it, and have us some structure. It was a team defence, and also the weather wasn't great for talls, but something to work with and at worst seems very handy depth.

wonder when surrounded by Weddle, Amon, Mitchell, Impey, and soon Sicily that they won't be quite as pronounced as first thought if he plays within his limitations.
Agree. Didn’t do anything terribly wrong. Looked composed and reliable. Taking intercept marks in the wet too.

He’ll make way with Serong for Sicily and Scrim though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back