Player Watch #20 Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he plays like a defender when he is up forward!
Goes through the motions of being a forward...
His defender instincts make him hide in a pack for marks...
Seems to look for body contact rather than burst out for a lead...
Prolly happier punching the ball away than trying to mark it...spesh with the packs...

Kosi has a Luke Weller/Shane Morrison vibes.

He was a failed defender at Hawthorn that was thrown a lifeline up forward. It's a 99 percent probability that he will fail here as a defender as well. But we are stuck with him for three years so yeah why not try. What have we got to lose?
I was interested to see if Hawthorn had tried him back there when I heard we were. Do you know if he started as a defender then went forward, never to go back? Or did they try him again down back when he was a little older but no longer in their first choice forward line?

I was interested to see if Hawthorn had tried him back there when I heard we were. Do you know if he started as a defender then went forward, never to go back? Or did they try him again down back when he was a little older but no longer in their first choice forward line?
They tried to turn him into a ruck near the end, but I don't believe he went back again after his first year or two.

His draft profile was pretty positive. Maybe he just needed some time to find a position and his feet. Defender it is! With vlastuin and broad in front of him and balta to the side it's a better position than it was at hawthorn. And His big complaint was that he wanted to learn from others and the Hawks had cut too deep

Unintentionally has given Yze a headache with his performance down back on Saturday. Do they slip him into the back line and move Balta back to the forward line to give us a better structure. I feel like Koschitzke is less prone to brain fade moments than Noah so less likely to cost us on the scoreboard.

I want us to persist with Balta up forward for the rest of this season at least.
Not convinced he'll make it as a forward, but I have him ahead of Ryan, Fawcett, our MSD pick-ups and Lynch at the moment.

Koschitzke down back with Miller means we can do this, rather than Lefau relying on Pickett as his tall support.

Unintentionally has given Yze a headache with his performance down back on Saturday. Do they slip him into the back line and move Balta back to the forward line to give us a better structure. I feel like Koschitzke is less prone to brain fade moments than Noah so less likely to cost us on the scoreboard.
I'd be giving him another game or two down back in the VFL first. Essendon VFL side is poor so you'd want to see him back it up at least once more IMO.

I'd be giving him another game or two down back in the VFL first. Essendon VFL side is poor so you'd want to see him back it up at least once more IMO.
It's a tough one. Against Geelong this week we could use Koschitzke and Miller on Hawkins and Cameron while sending Balta forward to support Lefau against the Cats defenders, but you'd like to see him have a few games where he stands out as a defender to see that he can actually defend and not just play as the +1 like he did Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a tough one. Against Geelong this week we could use Koschitzke and Miller on Hawkins and Cameron while sending Balta forward to support Lefau against the Cats defenders, but you'd like to see him have a few games where he stands out as a defender to see that he can actually defend and not just play as the +1 like he did Saturday
I suppose you could try it and then swap Balta and Kosi around if he gets toweled up.

We really don't have much to lose this season.

Would bring him in this week to play on Hawkins. Thought his VFL game was decent, has been building up form over the past few weeks and looked natural in the backline. Hawkins is old and will be a good measure on if we persist with him I. The backline. Preferably Balta back to the forward line as Lynch comes back into the team

Would bring him in this week to play on Hawkins. Thought his VFL game was decent, has been building up form over the past few weeks and looked natural in the backline. Hawkins is old and will be a good measure on if we persist with him I. The backline. Preferably Balta back to the forward line as Lynch comes back into the team
old or not.. Hawkins will pound Kosi into the ground and kick a bag on him.
sound NO

Now is as good a time as any to trial kpp in different roles.
I think Balta back makes sense, but if we want to see if Kosi can cut it as a kpd, then let’s be adaptable.
The upside is we could end up with a couple of swingmen , that we can throw back/ forward/ ruck.2024 is All about planning for the future

I want to see this guy succeed. I say play him as a KPD instead of Balta and we will see how he goes against the likes of a Cameron/Hawkins.
However, if Bauer is available he probably gets the first opportunity as he has more runs on the board but regardless I'd like to eventually see how he goes.

I want to see this guy succeed. I say play him as a KPD instead of Balta and we will see how he goes against the likes of a Cameron/Hawkins.
However, if Bauer is available he probably gets the first opportunity as he has more runs on the board but regardless I'd like to eventually see how he goes.
Bauer didn't play VFL on the weekend and was on managed minutes the week before in his return. Very much doubt he comes straight in.

Bauer has no runs on the board this year. He’s perpetually injured this year and doesn’t have the fitness base for afl yet.

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but who knows if he'd played defence against the bombers in the seniors and went ok, big balta goes forward and contains ridley and dobs a couple..... we win. cumbo prob plays a bit better too on a backman more his size.

192 Bauer on either of those 2 would be interesting. He might have the speed to match Cameron. Balta & Miller are better match ups with Broad, Brown as tall options.
Kosi is KPP height

Can't see Bauer being called up off only 3 quarters of footy for the year.

It would have been Morris the VFL coach that threw him back out of necessity when Young went down. In terms of overall strategy with Yze and Kosi, Yze might not have KPD in his plans. We will hopefully see them adopt this as an option and the signs will be there if Kosi is played down back in the VFL this week because then it's likely been given the head coach tick of approval. If we see him starting forward again it suggests they thought it was just a one time stop-gap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back