2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it says is that the two adelaide sides, freo and us are sheep… how many flags have these 4 won with their own seconds sides??

Brisbane, suns, sydney and the giants put their sides together because the local league standard is poor… and have joined the vfl now … doesn’t mean we should

So what you and others are proposing

17 AFL clubs - We have a dedicated reserves team/alignment

West Coast - We are going to spread our players out amongst multiple clubs!

Again, step back and think about it and why no one else league wide does it anymore. It's a professional sport these days, you can't get away with spreading your players out like you could do in the 80s and 90s.

Bunbury , half home games at Hands Oval Bunbury was suggested in the media ....could work except the travel for Eagles fringe players not ideal = won't work .
Once again, Perth is the obvious one here. They have been crap for so long and seem to be wedged in an area where there is little chance of development. When was the last time they were competative, 50 years ago? Still no sign of improvement. They’ve got nothing to lose…plus the team could still play in black and red. Time to move on for them

What it says is that the two adelaide sides, freo and us are sheep… how many flags have these 4 won with their own seconds sides??

Plus North who previously split their reserves among two different VFL sides (Werribee and North Ballarat), decided that didn’t work and formed their own side.

Plus all the other Victorian sides who have ditched their alignment partners and formed standalone reserves - Richmond (Coburg), Essendon (Bendigo), Carlton (Bullants), Bulldogs (Williamstown) etc. Saints were going to ditch Sandringham and follow suit until Covid hit.

Either all the other clubs are sheep following each other, or having your own side is the ideal setup so that’s what everyone does.

The problem isn't that it's a standalone team.
The problem is that we have regularly had next to none AFL listed players playing every week.
Averaging 5 or so depth AFL players isn't sufficient.

The rest are fill ins who are not up to standard for WAFL for the most part.
We need to sort out our S/C badly as we should be having the majority of those not playing in the best 22 +2 emergencies playing in the Beagles every week. instead we have been having maybe half a dozen of that remaining 20 players on the list available and those are not the quality that will get us wins.

The reality is that an AFL reserves comp is never going to happen.
so this leaves the Eagles with a few options.
Stand alone as we are now, align with a WAFL club or spread the players throughout the WAFL clubs.

As mentioned before spreading the players out while it is the best for the players development it is not seen as a good idea for either the Eagles or the WAFL clubs.
Stand alone as we are is fine when we have no injuries but once some injuries hit the club hen the stand alone model takes a tumble. This model also is very difficult to attract WAFL level footballers to the club. They would much prefer to play for a club who has a mandate to win the WAFL. Very difficult to ask any player to train their backside off for a training run on the weekend which is how the Eagles view their seconds team. No one really wants to play for the Eagles WAFL team.

This leaves an alignment and the obvious choice being Perth who are next door. The alignment model also has problems as the Eagles want to run things and the WAFL club doesn't want them to run things as they lose their identity. This model keeps failing in WA and hence why no clubs want it.

I still think the alignment is the best model but is their a club out there willing to sell their soul?

I still think the alignment is the best model but is their a club out there willing to sell their soul?
Perth FC is utterly soulless, irrelevant and frankly has been a laughing stock for decades.

The solution to both clubs' issues is so obvious.

Yet through sheer pig-headedness in holding onto something that doesn't exist, it isn't going to happen.

Perth FC is utterly soulless, irrelevant and frankly has been a laughing stock for decades.

The old saying 'cut your nose off to spite your face' rings very true with that situation

I'm starting to come around to the idea of splitting our players between all the clubs again. Obviously it's not ideal, but with an alignment looking unfeasible, I think it might be better than the alternative of carrying on with the WAFL eagles, who rely too heavily on us having a clean injury run.

I do think there could be something to be gained from it for our young guys too. It would do them well to play in an environment where the team's objective is to actually win, rather than just development. There's some great WAFL players out there who our guys could learn from, and I feel like most of our older boys who played under this system used to speak quite highly of it, ALA Gaff recently in his 250th game interview reflecting on his stint with South Freo.

What might help is if maybe there was a bit of fluidity between who the boys are aligned with. If there's no clear spot or role for them at the club they're at, maybe the WAFL could be more flexible in allowing us to move players between teams for a better fit during the season.

They need to pick a model, commit to it and stick to it.

The problem with our top ups came about this year because of the 11th hour decision to run the Beagles. By that stage the skipper Brayshaw had already signed with another club in the belief there wouldn’t be a Beagles side, and all the top available talent had similarly been snapped up. We were left with whoever we had left from the 2021 campaign (with guys like Hug also leaving) and whoever the other WAFL clubs didn’t care about losing.

Commit to the Beagles before the WAFL grand final and try to recruit some actual WAFL quality players, including an ex-AFL player who can come in and skipper the side - the Brady Grey equivalent.

We also need to fix availability in the AFL list so that we’re not relying on 15 top ups each week.

Any word on the AFL increasing list sizes back to pre-covid levels?

If the AFL are true to form they’ll probably get around to announcing it a day or two before the draft

Yet through sheer pig-headedness in holding onto something that doesn't exist, it isn't going to happen.

I can't speak for them being soulless, some of the members of Perth I speak to at WAFL games love their club and are just dying for success. I have no idea why this one particular club can't get the process right and have success. It matters not who they recruit, who their coach is, who their board is, they just can't find the right process. It's a huge gap 45 years since their last flag.

Now winning one with the help of the Eagles will that appease their supporters? Many East perth people to this day still say their last real flag was 1978. Others were when they had help from West Coast.

I agree that maybe Perth and the Eagles can have an alignment and it possibly is the right thing to do. But it would have to be that Perth run it and not the Eagles and thats where it gets messy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't speak for them being soulless, some of the members of Perth I speak to at WAFL games love their club and are just dying for success. I have no idea why this one particular club can't get the process right and have success. It matters not who they recruit, who their coach is, who their board is, they just can't find the right process. It's a huge gap 45 years since their last flag.

Now winning one with the help of the Eagles will that appease their supporters? Many East perth people to this day still say their last real flag was 1978. Others were when they had help from West Coast.

I agree that maybe Perth and the Eagles can have an alignment and it possibly is the right thing to do. But it would have to be that Perth run it and not the Eagles and thats where it gets messy.
I have no doubt they love the club and are desperate for success. Sadly, that's part of the problem - they've got the blinkers on and are completely incapable of considering the benefits that a different approach would bring.

The club has a horrible reputation and needs a complete rebrand to begin with.

Mate I wouldn't trust Perth to run a bath..

I have no doubt they love the club and are desperate for success. Sadly, that's part of the problem - they've got the blinkers on and are completely incapable of considering the benefits that a different approach would bring.

The club has a horrible reputation and needs a complete rebrand to begin with.

Mate I wouldn't trust Perth to run a bath..

Yes it is really sad to see Perth as they are and have been for sometime. But nothing ever changes and they keep making the same mistakes.

Like I said maybe the Eagles and Perth can work together somehow? It in all honesty the Eagles best option. Is it Perth's best option? I am not in a position to answer that. Your thoughts?

Yes it is really sad to see Perth as they are and have been for sometime. But nothing ever changes and they keep making the same mistakes.

Like I said maybe the Eagles and Perth can work together somehow? It in all honesty the Eagles best option. Is it Perth's best option? I am not in a position to answer that. Your thoughts?
I'm a strong yes for it, the partnership would make complete sense to both clubs, but I know nobody actually involved at Perth wants it to happen, so it won't. They're more focused on fighting for more recruitment zones and the like.

There seems to be this divide between the AFL clubs and the WAFL when there really shouldn't be.

I'm a strong yes for it, the partnership would make complete sense to both clubs, but I know nobody actually involved at Perth wants it to happen, so it won't. They're more focused on fighting for more recruitment zones and the like.

There seems to be this divide between the AFL clubs and the WAFL when there really shouldn't be.

The divide is more between the WAFL clubs and the WAFC as I understand it. The WAFC waste so much money when it could be going to WAFL clubs and that is where the divide lays.

The AFL clubs have not exactly helped much either over the years, they have both had an attitude of we are in the AFL and that means we don't need to care about the WAFL and below.

What many don't understand is that every time there has been an alignment or a model for the Eagles and Dockers it has been the WAFL clubs going out of their way to assist.

I don't know what the answer is. But I do know it's not the WAFL clubs fault the Eagles are in this situation. The Eagles need to sit down with Perth and find a solution as that is the only way forward I think.

I guess it doesn't help when WCE and Freo can dip their hands into a WAFL clubs list, and recruit players last minute, with no come back whatsoever....or financial recompense.....the WAFL clubs just have to smile and wave....I know it's business and providing an individual/s an opportunity to better themselves, but then to bleat the WAFL clubs are not playing fair, just doesn't help mend the divide. Perhaps it's best WCE move on to the VFL if they wish to develop their fringe players better.....but the WAFC bigwigs enjoy blowing that WCE money on match day luncheons and other perks.....

10k compo to the state team for each SSP signing. Hopefully you can get that part right when you whinge about it again in a few weeks.

The problem for the Beagles this year is player availability. The weeks they had a few players available, they won one and where competitive in the others. 45 players on the list and could only get 5 available this week. It has been like that most weeks. If they get a core group of 10-12 each week, they will win more and won't get thrashed.

The problem for the Beagles this year is player availability. The weeks they had a few players available, they won one and where competitive in the others. 45 players on the list and could only get 5 available this week. It has been like that most weeks. If they get a core group of 10-12 each week, they will win more and won't get thrashed.

Exactly, fix your fitness and injury situation in your club and the rest takes care of itself. The problem lies directly at the WCE poor football management.

What happens with our listed players for the last two rounds of the WAFL season after our AFL season ends this weekend?

Are we only able to select players that have played a minimum number of WAFL games during the year?

Exactly, fix your fitness and injury situation in your club and the rest takes care of itself. The problem lies directly at the WCE poor football management.

Player availability is only part of the problem.

The non-AFL listed players are ammos who aren't senior WAFL standard, that's been bought about by the recruitment restricions imposed on the club. Freo on the other hand get access to Peel's full program which is they have a better environmenr for player development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back