2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't Hutchings and Ah Chee stay at WCE and play for their reserves side? There are two WAFL quality players right there....

Possibly for the same reason Brayshaw left - at the time they signed elsewhere they didn’t know if there’d be a WCE reserves side.

You forgot-
COACH, Wiley is 67 years old and has had very limited success as a coach.
The players need someone they can relate to and who isn't rooted in the 1990s.
It is an extreme, obscene case of "jobs for the boys" and typical of how Nisbett operates
Find someone else.

Coach is a minor issue in the reserves set up. We have had younger relatable coaches. The side is not set up or aiming for success and hence until that attitude changes then the Eagles will struggle in the WAFL.

Not sure why so many are bothered by it to be honest? Our main side at the Eagles needs far more attention and work.

WCE should stop funding it then.
I thought WCE contributed to the funding of football in WA, the WAFL is a tier of WA football and get a slice, buy out your WAFC license then and go to the VFL....obviously it's cheaper not too, that's why WCE continue to contribute to WA footy as they do I guess.

Money can't buy you passion, look at WP, on the bones of their arse financially a few years back, but all their good WAFL players in Black, Nelson, Keitel, Knott etc stayed because of the very thing you think money will buy WCER.....they bleed WP red n blue. Same as Rogers, Mountfort, Bolton and Mitchell(did) bleed the Cl colours, Shaw, Schloithe, Strom, Main, Ah Chee bleed SF colors etc etc.

Why didn't Hutchings and Ah Chee stay at WCE and play for their reserves side? There are two WAFL quality players right there....

EF might be a s**thole as you say, but they have provided your beloved WCE many a fine player over the years, and will continue to do so for many years to come no doubt. The WAFL owes WCE nothing, especially EF, no wonder why no WAFL club wants to align with them now...obviously money can't buy WCE everything....

I truly am interested in what recruiting concessions you boys want? Already get access to the various AFL drafts, no player points to abide too, nor a salary cap....no WAFL club have those concessions.....

Unless there is a job attached ( which we seem to able to find pretty easily for some blokes- seriously what qualifications does Nicoski have as a coach) delisted guys are not going to have any interest playing for a development team after you effectively have been sacked by the same club..

Hutch, ah chee and whoever else can get paid more legally or illegally by their Wafl club ( hutchings deal to go to west perth after delisting by st kilda was fantastic and took him out of east perths hands) and have much more interest in playing for a traditional club who wants to win rather than the eagles reserves.

Possibly for the same reason Brayshaw left - at the time they signed elsewhere they didn’t know if there’d be a WCE reserves side.
Ah Chee signed for SF early Oct and Hutchings for WP early Nov from memory...Would of thought WCER was alive then as Wiley was appointed coach mid November.....always difficult though signing to play reserves for a club that has given you the flick....which will always be WCER problem...unless their is a well paid coaching role involved....which both these guys didn't get obviously.

Last edited:
Very true, but pretty sure Hutchings and Ah Chee signed for

Ah Chee signed for SF early Oct and Hutchings for WP early Nov from memory....always difficult signing for a club that has given you the flick....which will always be WCER problem...unless their is a well paid coaching role involved....which both these guys didn't get obviously.

McInnes was happy to sign on for 2020 (before we pulled out due to Covid) and Brayshaw signed on for 2021. Maybe someone like Nelson or Witherden will want to hang around their mates another year, who knows.

Ah Chee signed for SF early Oct and Hutchings for WP early Nov from memory...Would of thought WCER was alive then

At the time Ah Chee, Ainsworth and Brayshaw signed with other sides in October we were still exploring the possibility of an alignment with East Perth - in fact that was rumoured to have been locked in at one stage.

The Beagles was confirmed on November 17. Hutchings’ signing with West Perth was announced two days earlier.

It's a pity JK's body is cooked, he could easily kick 50 in the WAFL. I reckon his presence might even entice some of those possible delisted WCE players to hang around...and a few recruits.

Thanks Kane.

Money can't buy you passion, look at WP, on the bones of their arse financially a few years back, but all their good WAFL players in Black, Nelson, Keitel, Knott etc stayed because of the very thing you think money will buy WCER.....they bleed WP red n blue. Same as Rogers, Mountfort, Bolton and Mitchell(did) bleed the Cl colours, Shaw, Schloithe, Strom, Main, Ah Chee bleed SF colors etc etc.

EF might be a s**thole as you say, but they have provided your beloved WCE many a fine player over the years, and will continue to do so for many years to come no doubt. The WAFL owes WCE nothing, especially EF, no wonder why no WAFL club wants to align with them now...obviously money can't buy WCE everything....

I truly am interested in what recruiting concessions you boys want? Already get access to the various AFL drafts, no player points to abide too, nor a salary cap....no WAFL club have those concessions.....
I agree with your loyalty/passion statements, but I do have to question the 'WAFL owes WCE nothing' bit.

I'd say that the WAFL owes WCE nothing... except its very existence as a going concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that the WAFL owes WCE nothing... except its very existence as a going concern.
Would of thought the WAFL's mere existence is the only reason why WCE won their first two flags and set them on their merry way to financial success....don't remember many E.S born and bred players in those 92 & 94 teams

Would of thought the WAFL's mere existence is the only reason why WCE won their first two flags and set them on their merry way to financial success....don't remember many E.S born and bred players in those 92 & 94 teams

No it was broke arse VFL clubs like yours, including the competition itself, that needed the license money from West Coast and Brisbane to bail them out from the hike they’d dug for themselves

At the time Ah Chee, Ainsworth and Brayshaw signed with other sides in October we were still exploring the possibility of an alignment with East Perth - in fact that was rumoured to have been locked in at one stage.

The Beagles was confirmed on November 17. Hutchings’ signing with West Perth was announced two days earlier.

I thought there was a rule where we couldn’t sign delisted eagles players ?

No it was broke arse VFL clubs like yours, including the competition itself, that needed the license money from West Coast and Brisbane to bail them out from the hike they’d dug for themselves
I didn't realize East Freo had played in the VFL?....oh you mean my 2nd team...I guess in the 70's it was the done thing for every WAFL fan to have a VFL club they kind of followed....yep thank fudge for WCE bailing out Footscray back in the day.....without it, that ex Footscray coach wouldn't of got that initial coaching experience which would lead WCE to the promised land twice in the 90s

Last edited:
McInnes was happy to sign on for 2020 (before we pulled out due to Covid) and Brayshaw signed on for 2021. Maybe someone like Nelson or Witherden will want to hang around their mates another year, who knows.

Is my interpretation of this doc correct in that fringe players like Hutchings, McInnes, Brayshaw, Witherden would cost 9 points?

CATEGORY 5: AFL (5 points)
A player who has played one or more AFL matches in the current or previous three seasons shall have a
player points allocation of 5 points.

CATEGORY 4: WAFL League, interstate equivalents (4 points)
A player who has played a combined total of five or more League matches in WAFL or interstate
equivalent in the current or previous three seasons shall have a player points allocation of 4 points.

Is my interpretation of this doc correct in that fringe players like Hutchings, McInnes, Brayshaw, Witherden would cost 9 points?

Not familiar with that but I’d say the intent is that ex-AFL players are worth 5 points and ex-state league players who never made AFL are worth 4 points.

Otherwise you’d get the ridiculous situation where someone who’d never been dropped to WAFL would be less points than someone who’d yoyoed between grades.

Agree with the importance of WCER having a core of good players, just can't see any current existing elite WAFL player wanting to play for WCER.....unless it's for big bucks.

It would take a good chunk of money to attract a decent WAFL player. WCE had one marquee player (2019) which was Brady Grey and he was allocated a salary of about $20k as per the rules at that point in time. There was also the lure of Grey potentially getting a spot on the club's list for the following season as they did have some interest in picking him up should he have played well at WAFL level that year.

It would take a similar arrangement again to be able to attract a player of that ilk. A decent salary for an ex-AFL player who wants to get back onto a list or perhaps a good WAFL player who the Eagles are interested in and also has ambitions of playing at a higher level. They could then pay that player a marquee salary and keep a watchful eye on them across the season to see if they are worth taking a rookie list punt on.

Peel's quality core are mainly Peel born n bred, thus have a connection and desire to play for the club....WCER being stand alone will never have that.....they will be totally reliant upon the WCE S&C team keeping their AFL list fit.

Yes and that's where the current arrangement has issues. Most of Peel Thunder's players have come through the club's zone and lower grades but they have had some decent recruits in the past few years whereas the Eagles with their Reserves team don't have that at the present time. We've seen this season and somewhat last season what happens when the club has injuries, this then has a flow on effect to the Reserves which affects their ability to be competitive.

Not sure how Nesbit can ask for more recruiting concessions.....WCER are the only WAFL club that has filtered down access to all the AFL drafts....WCER gained access to Clark(Subi), Hough(Peel), Williams, Strnadica, Dixon & Joyce(EF) and Naish(ex AFL) before the season started from other clubs, plus Chesser from over East and then picked up Culley midseason....and had a chance to get Florenca(SF) midseason, but turned him down.....4 talented youngsters and 5 quality WAFL players who would easily be top 22 in the top 2 clubs in the WAFL....

WCE don't recruit players to their AFL list to play WAFL, they are recruited to play AFL at some stage if they are good enough to. All of those players have played AFL at some stage throughout the season or have been injured at other times when not playing in the WAFL and the amount of injuries that have occurred has contributed to them not playing at all or spending time at senior AFL level.

If WCE didn't have their injury list, all those guys would surely be playing more WCER then WCE....and probably pushing for a top 4 WAFL spot......with 13+ AFL listed players available, like Peel are doing now, due to Freo's healthy AFL list.

The injury list is part bad luck and also part the fault of the Eagles with regards to the management internally within the club. I'm hopeful the club will be able to rectify that next season as that will go some way to solving a good portion of the issues with the club's WAFL team at the moment as that is one of the primary causes of the side's lack of competitiveness this season.

There is no way any WAFL club would be able to recruit all of the likes of Naish, Clark, Strnadica, Dixon and Joyce, on reputation alone in one go and fit them into their points and salary cap allocation....and yet Nisbet is looking for more recruiting concessions, just in case injuries set in? All the other WAFL clubs, when beset by injury, are also reliant on reserves quality players to fill the void, it's part n parcel of footy, clubs rarely have their best 22 available....

Of course they wouldn't. I don't think the Eagles are asking for major concessions, just the ability to have one 10-12 point player and perhaps a couple of five point players to provide a decent core of players who are there every week to play alongside whoever else is selected at WAFL level for any particular game. I think any person would say it is reasonable for the club to have a few small concessions in order to be able to have a list of WAFL players who can contribute every week so that the competition can remain as even as possible and maintain its integrity.

You forgot-
COACH, Wiley is 67 years old and has had very limited success as a coach.
The players need someone they can relate to and who isn't rooted in the 1990s.
It is an extreme, obscene case of "jobs for the boys" and typical of how Nisbett operates
Find someone else.

The coach isn't the issue at this stage. The other factors I mentioned in my post on Monday night are more relevant to the discussion than blaming the coach who at the present time doesn't have a lot to work with. The club needs to primarily work on making sure its injury list remains manageable as that will allow more AFL listed players to play WAFL each week when not playing seniors as this will ensure the side is more competitive on a weekly basis. Getting a few minor concessions with regards to recruitment is also another important factor and will ensure the side has a solid core of hopefully seasoned WAFL players who can hold their own at the level.

If the club can sort out or improve all of the things I mentioned before, then that will go a long way to resolving the club's issues at WAFL level. If all of those issues are resolved or at least improved at a minimum and the side is still struggling then yes the issue may be the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back