2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I really don't think it will be a massive hindrance to our young guys development, and will actually have quite a few positives (playing with seasoned WAFL blokes, different systems, not being gifted games, not playing with half a team of ammos)

It's not like they won't still be training all week at the club and still learning the game plan and system.

Agree it's not ideal, but the way the WAFL team was operating was worse imo. An alignment seems the best model but if no WAFL team wants it hands are tied a bit

Learning game plan, yes.

Practising the game plan, no.

These is a high performance industry. Differences between winning and losing are in small margins. So a small hinderance is therefore something that needs to be made up.

Then again, not sure of benefit in being smacked every weekend.

Would be interesting for wafl watchers whether game plans have changed over years to broadly match what afl are doing.

If the objectives are:

- Players play together
- Club has full control
- Put into practice all the latest zone theories from Tim & Eric
- Similar team strength to avoid getting smashed every week
- WAFL not compromised
- Cheap

Just get WCE & Freo to play their reserves against each other every week? Or is there another factor that dismisses this seemingly obvious solution?

Would be boring af I grant you.

I haven't been keeping up with this unfortunately, but is there any update of where the Eagles are at with this - will it be an alignment of will players be spread across the league?

Hoping we align with Perth and I'll purchase a Demons membership.

Good points here by the Falcons President, sit down and nut it out. Stop saying it’s anything to do with money as it isn’t.

West Perth president Neale Fong tells West Coast Eagles to fight to keep WAFL side in 2022
West Perth president Neale Fong has urged the Eagles to explore every option to keep their own team in the WAFL before conceding other options are needed.

Fong, a former Eagles chaplain and chairman of the WA Football Commission, stressed this was his view rather than a club position but said he had trouble believing that money was a factor preventing the Eagles from having a team.

“I don’t understand why they can’t afford to put a side in. Their preferred position would be to have all of their players playing together in a side like all of the other AFL clubs do,” he said. “This was very important four years ago. I don’t think it is any less important now . So what is stopping that. If it is money – I wouldn’t have though West Coast have a problem with money.”

Fong’s views came as the Eagles and the WAFL clubs appeared headed for confrontation over what happens to their reserves next year.

It looks likely that WA produced players would return to their clubs of origin wit a proposal to split their interstate players between at least two clubs. The Eagles look set to resist that, wanting their interstate players together at one club.

Fong said the Eagles and the WAFL should work together so that West Coast was not entering, withdrawing from and then trying to re-enter the WAFL every few years.

“That is my preference and that is my view. There may be all sorts of reasons why they can’t do it but it sounds to me like they are worried about resourcing,” he said.

He acknowledged West Coast concerns over strict restrictions on recruiting top up players for a WAFL team but said: “If that is the case then let’s talk about it. I would rather loosen those restrictions and have them have a side than when we get clear of all of this and they have greater resources and they want a side again we are back to doing this all again.”

“It just makes sense to me.

And if the Dockers want to get one for themselves in a couple of years time then let’s go for that too and everyone is happy.”

“We are all part of the system and if it is so important for the Eagles to have development opportunities for their players and we all agreed it was three or four years ago – I wasn’t part of that decision but I don’t think it was just because the WAFL got $800,000 or $900,000 out of the Eagles – I think we got the idea that every other AFL club had this and it made sense that they trained and played together.

“I think there have to be some restrictions on stealing really good players from the other teams. It worked ok two years ago. They got to fifth and they beat us in the elimination final. I can live with that,” he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What pull did Jono Brown have to the Lions growing up in Warrnambool? What pull did Tom Hawkins have with Geelong growing up on a farm in NSW then going to a school in Toorak?

Brayshaw will be odds on to join Claremont next year if he stays in WA.

Well well well, what have we here….. he must have really loved the tigers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back