Game Day West Coast v Port Adelaide Preseason Training Drill @ Lathlain 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the season proper looms on the horizon (22 days to R1 for those keeping count), we have our first competitive hit out against an opposition that isn’t ourselves

For reasons not really explained rather than just have a four quarter scratch match with unlimited interchange players the AFL left it up to clubs to negotiate their own formats for this weekends round of matches. WCE and Port have settled on 4x28 minute “quarters” without time on plus 2 additional 20 minute extra time periods giving this game a 2017 elimination final vibe

GWS and the Bulldogs decided just to ignore each other’s existence and continue to play with themselves instead

As far as I’m aware, the games themselves will be played in accordance with this week’s AFL interpretation of the rules but we can never be too sure

There is no limit on team sizes so the named teams are rather lengthy. FWIW, this is the named team for WCE

4BC2F343-4852-41AC-8C60-B14C3F1CC09A.jpeg

Because it’s a shorter list these are the players not suiting up :
Ginbey (sore toe)
Naitanui (sore Achilles)
Shuey (sore managed)
Darling (sore ankle)
Barnett (also sore ankle)
Jones (sore unexplained)
Bazzo (no need to explain)
J Williams (sore spleen)
Baker (sore something)
Dewar (sore foot)

For their part Port have named 29 players with the following considered notable absentees by AFL.com

Notable absentees: Zak Butters, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Francis Evans, Jeremy Finlayson, Josh Sinn, Tom Clurey, Trent Dumont, A Tarp

I’m not going to go through matchups or strategies as the clubs consider this a glorified training drill (kinda like some of our 2022 matches) and I’m not even sure they’re going to keep score (kinda like I wish they didn’t for some of our 2022 matches)

Rather, I’ll go through what I’d like to see from a team POV (other than the obligatory no ******* injuries) and individual players to keep an eye on

Game Plan :

A mere semblance of a game plan would be an improvement from last year but there are three key elements I think most of us would like to see

1) Contested possession/Loose ball gets - we’ve been routinely smashed in this area in recent seasons so getting first hands on the ball to establish field position would be nice to see
2) Transition - coaches from Simpson down have stated this has been a focus all off season. Offensively, I hope to see the ball moved faster and with more dare something that apparently has been evident to those fortunate enough to watch the closed match sims/intraclubs. Defensively, getting back in transition and slowing opposition ball movement/run is vital
3) Tackling - never been a strong point with us but it’s fallen away completely in the last 2-3 years (there was some improvement after the bye last year admittedly). Again, it seems to have been a focus over summer so whilst I don’t expect massive numbers of tackles due to the practice nature of this match and the lower intensity, I do hope there is some noticeable intent to pressure the ball carrier

From a team perspective, if those three elements are there in an identifiable fashion there’ll be cause for optimism

Players to watch :

• Bwilliams/Jamieson - locked in a battle to be Naitanui’s Robin this pair shape as important players for us in n 2023, especially if Nic’s Achilles takes longer to heal than hoped. Both got games last year and for the most part, generally looked out of their depth. Jamieson, in particular, has added some bulk to his frame and whilst the Port combination of Lycett and Teakle aren’t the strongest they’ll face this year it’ll give them an indication of how much they’ve improved over summer

• Hough, Culley, Hewett, Long, Ginbey - players added to our list over the last 2 years who we hope will be a big part of our rebuild. All have had a strong preseason and all are in the mix for round 1. We saw enough of Hough last year to get excited and he’s hit the gym hard to add muscle to his light frame. Culley has been a preseason stand out whilst Long and Hewett have impressed to the point where a round one debut for either or both is in the offing should they perform. We have to wait until next week to get a look at Ginbey

• Chesser - I didn’t forget young Campbell. He just deserves his own paragraph. The most talked about zero gamer we’ve ever had. Something of a surprise pick in the 2021 draft there were concerns over his durability, concerns seemingly justified when he injured his ankle 5 minutes in to his first practice match against Fremantle. He missed all of 2022. The club have nursed him through preseason, prepping his body for the rigours of AFL football and as recently as 2-3 weeks ago the impression was it would be a slow/delayed start to 2023. An impressive match sim performance last week and an unexpected capacity to cope with the increased workload now has the club cautiously talking about round 1. Very few on this board, have seen him in action so it’ll be great to see what he can produce against AFL opposition. A sneaky shout out here to Burgiel as well who we picked up with the bonus 2022 pick from Port for sliding back 2 places in 2021. He’s not receiving the same accolades yet as his other draftees but has also quietly put together a solid preseason

• Gaff - had a really bad 2022, partly due to an ankle issue which he’s recovered from reportedly, to the point where if we were picking a R1 side on last years form he misses selection. He is always a good trainer but hasn’t stood out this preseason although like most on the list he looks leaner than previous years. What intrigues me about Gaff is how he fits in to the new game style. Of all the veterans he seems the least likely to adapt to a faster style and at least one match sim report I’ve read made comment on his inability to move the ball on quickly. Make no mistake, a fully fit Gaff running up and down a wing providing an option can still be damaging but he shapes as the most likely test of the credits in the bank selection issues we’ve had. A poor game or two in these lead up games will see his spot come under pressure from fans at least

• Yeo - a lot of positive signs that the old Yeo is back in place of the broken one we’ve had since the start of 2020. He’s dominated intraclubs, so time to see it against an outside opponent. Whilst Kelly didn’t miss much footy last year, he’s also returned in great shape and hopefully can find the extra gear he showed at Geelong that he’s only sporadically reached at the Eagles

• Witherden/Rotham - a couple of players that found themselves well down the pecking order by the end of 2022 and had they both not been contracted for 2023 may not still be at the club. However, both have had strong preseasons with Witherden featuring regularly in the probables side in match sim and Rotham being said to be more aggressive with his ball use out of defence. Add Petrevski-Seton in here as well who’s been showing good form as a half forward after an unsettled 2022

• Allen - hasn’t played a game of footy since August 2021 and has the daunting task of replacing the greatest goal kicker the club has ever had. Looks in terrific physical condition but it’ll be a good test of his capability to lead our forwardline against what is usually a pretty competent Port defence

Plenty of others I’ll be looking forward to seeing especially those like Sheed and Cole who missed virtually all of 2022. Plus Ryan. And McGovern and his mate Barrass. And…..

Overall, it’s our first look at the group in a competitive hit out and whilst the scoreboard result is largely irrelevant a strong showing is important if only to give the players confidence that they’re on the right path

Eagles by a McGovern flour bag after the siren

The game will be televised on Foxtel and Kayo, however tickets to attend the game in person have sold out*

* I have a spare ticket into the ground for anyone that wanted to go but missed out on getting one. Message me if you’re interested

An honourable mention to Bazzo and Trew regardless of the outcome. (PS - good work)
Interesting that last night the commentators stuck with match sim not practice match.

Unfortunately due to work I'm not going to be able to watch this tonight live.

Does anyone know if they will put up a replay.

Was going to restart my KAYO subscription in time for this game, but the feedback on the broadcast quality has turned me off until next week. $6.92 saved :moustache:

Eagles have historically taken practice/pre-season games for what they are, practice. Even during our premiership windows we'd often come out looking like spoon contenders. Coupled with where our list is at, likely timidness in light of our injury proneness, and Port trying to prove that they're flag contenders, I expect tonight to put a real dampner on our pre-season optimism.

What I hope to see:
  • Continued improvement from our fringe players like XON, Rotham, Foley, BWilliams, HEdwards, Culley, Jamieson, etc.
  • Glimpses of talent from our new draftees. Don't need to set the world on fire, but show something to get us excited.
  • A surprise performance from someone who otherwise are at the bottom of the pecking order. West, Clark, Trew, Winder.

What I hope not to see:
  • Any hints of the old game plan.
  • Gaff playing anything other than his wing role.
  • Culley getting suspended.
  • Our best performed being one of the blokes aged 30+

Really keen to watch Culley.

Also praying we get through unscathed, particularly Allen and Chesser.

Going to watch the game live. Then heading home to watch the replay and read this thread so I can experience the melts in time with the play.

Looking forward to (in no particular order):

Sack Simmo
What's the score FFS?!
Fold the club
Kane Cornes was right
Delist Ainsworth
Bock & Gunston
Winder already our best player

Can't wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the season proper looms on the horizon (22 days to R1 for those keeping count), we have our first competitive hit out against an opposition that isn’t ourselves

For reasons not really explained rather than just have a four quarter scratch match with unlimited interchange players the AFL left it up to clubs to negotiate their own formats for this weekends round of matches. WCE and Port have settled on 4x28 minute “quarters” without time on plus 2 additional 20 minute extra time periods giving this game a 2017 elimination final vibe

GWS and the Bulldogs decided just to ignore each other’s existence and continue to play with themselves instead

As far as I’m aware, the games themselves will be played in accordance with this week’s AFL interpretation of the rules but we can never be too sure

There is no limit on team sizes so the named teams are rather lengthy. FWIW, this is the named team for WCE

View attachment 1614429

Ginbey (sore toe)
Naitanui (sore Achilles)
Shuey (sore managed)
Darling (sore ankle)
Jones (sore unexplained)
J Williams (sore spleen)
Baker (sore something)
Dewar (sore foot)

For their part Port have named 29 players with the following considered notable absentees by AFL.com

Notable absentees: Zak Butters, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Francis Evans, Jeremy Finlayson, Josh Sinn, Tom Clurey, Trent Dumont, A Tarp

I’m not going to go through matchups or strategies as the clubs consider this a glorified training drill (kinda like some of our 2022 matches) and I’m not even sure they’re going to keep score (kinda like I wish they didn’t for some of our 2022 matches)

Rather, I’ll go through what I’d like to see from a team POV (other than the obligatory no ******* injuries) and individual players to keep an eye on

Game Plan :

A mere semblance of a game plan would be an improvement from last year but there are three key elements I think most of us would like to see

1) Contested possession/Loose ball gets - we’ve been routinely smashed in this area in recent seasons so getting first hands on the ball to establish field position would be nice to see
2) Transition - coaches from Simpson down have stated this has been a focus all off season. Offensively, I hope to see the ball moved faster and with more dare something that apparently has been evident to those fortunate enough to watch the closed match sims/intraclubs. Defensively, getting back in transition and slowing opposition ball movement/run is vital
3) Tackling - never been a strong point with us but it’s fallen away completely in the last 2-3 years (there was some improvement after the bye last year admittedly). Again, it seems to have been a focus over summer so whilst I don’t expect massive numbers of tackles due to the practice nature of this match and the lower intensity, I do hope there is some noticeable intent to pressure the ball carrier

From a team perspective, if those three elements are there in an identifiable fashion there’ll be cause for optimism

Players to watch :

• Bwilliams/Jamieson - locked in a battle to be Naitanui’s Robin this pair shape as important players for us in n 2023, especially if Nic’s Achilles takes longer to heal than hoped. Both got games last year and for the most part, generally looked out of their depth. Jamieson, in particular, has added some bulk to his frame and whilst the Port combination of Lycett and Teakle aren’t the strongest they’ll face this year it’ll give them an indication of how much they’ve improved over summer

• Hough, Culley, Hewett, Long, Ginbey - players added to our list over the last 2 years who we hope will be a big part of our rebuild. All have had a strong preseason and all are in the mix for round 1. We saw enough of Hough last year to get excited and he’s hit the gym hard to add muscle to his light frame. Culley has been a preseason stand out whilst Long and Hewett have impressed to the point where a round one debut for either or both is in the offing should they perform. We have to wait until next week to get a look at Ginbey

• Chesser - I didn’t forget young Campbell. He just deserves his own paragraph. The most talked about zero gamer we’ve ever had. Something of a surprise pick in the 2021 draft there were concerns over his durability, concerns seemingly justified when he injured his ankle 5 minutes in to his first practice match against Fremantle. He missed all of 2022. The club have nursed him through preseason, prepping his body for the rigours of AFL football and as recently as 2-3 weeks ago the impression was it would be a slow/delayed start to 2023. An impressive match sim performance last week and an unexpected capacity to cope with the increased workload now has the club cautiously talking about round 1. Very few on this board, have seen him in action so it’ll be great to see what he can produce against AFL opposition. A sneaky shout out here to Burgiel as well who we picked up with the bonus 2022 pick from Port for sliding back 2 places in 2021. He’s not receiving the same accolades yet as his other draftees but has also quietly put together a solid preseason

• Gaff - had a really bad 2022, partly due to an ankle issue which he’s recovered from reportedly, to the point where if we were picking a R1 side on last years form he misses selection. He is always a good trainer but hasn’t stood out this preseason although like most on the list he looks leaner than previous years. What intrigues me about Gaff is how he fits in to the new game style. Of all the veterans he seems the least likely to adapt to a faster style and at least one match sim report I’ve read made comment on his inability to move the ball on quickly. Make no mistake, a fully fit Gaff running up and down a wing providing an option can still be damaging but he shapes as the most likely test of the credits in the bank selection issues we’ve had. A poor game or two in these lead up games will see his spot come under pressure from fans at least

• Yeo - a lot of positive signs that the old Yeo is back in place of the broken one we’ve had since the start of 2020. He’s dominated intraclubs, so time to see it against an outside opponent. Whilst Kelly didn’t miss much footy last year, he’s also returned in great shape and hopefully can find the extra gear he showed at Geelong that he’s only sporadically reached at the Eagles

• Witherden/Rotham - a couple of players that found themselves well down the pecking order by the end of 2022 and had they both not been contracted for 2023 may not still be at the club. However, both have had strong preseasons with Witherden featuring regularly in the probables side in match sim and Rotham being said to be more aggressive with his ball use out of defence. Add Petrevski-Seton in here as well who’s been showing good form as a half forward after an unsettled 2022

• Allen - hasn’t played a game of footy since August 2021 and has the daunting task of replacing the greatest goal kicker the club has ever had. Looks in terrific physical condition but it’ll be a good test of his capability to lead our forwardline against what is usually a pretty competent Port defence

Plenty of others I’ll be looking forward to seeing especially those like Sheed and Cole who missed virtually all of 2022. Plus Ryan. And McGovern and his mate Barrass. And…..

Overall, it’s our first look at the group in a competitive hit out and whilst the scoreboard result is largely irrelevant a strong showing is important if only to give the players confidence that they’re on the right path

The game will be televised on Foxtel and Kayo, however tickets to attend the game in person have sold out*

* I have a spare ticket into the ground for anyone that wanted to go but missed out on getting one. Message me if you’re interested
Port will have the absence of A Tarp well covered

Going to watch the game live. Then heading home to watch the replay and read this thread so I can experience the melts in time with the play.

Looking forward to (in no particular order):

Sack Simmo
What's the score FFS?!
Fold the club
Kane Cornes was right
Delist Ainsworth
Bock & Gunston
Winder already our best player

Can't wait.

Gee Willie looks fit ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1614429

Ginbey (sore toe)
Naitanui (sore Achilles)
Shuey (sore managed)
Darling (sore ankle)
Jones (sore unexplained)
J Williams (sore spleen)
Baker (sore something)
Dewar (sore foot)

Game Plan :

Players to watch :

Well said - whole heartedly agree with thoughts on Chesser and Witherden & Rotham.

I'm optimistic the latter 2 can be best 25 players if let of the leash and given licence to play with a more attacking mindset.

My biggest conundrum is do I try to watch this live on TV during the dinner/bath/bed rush or do I hide my phone, leave the TV off and hope to catch an instant replay with beer in hand after 7pm? And what happens if there's no instant replay? 🤔

My biggest conundrum is do I try to watch this live on TV during the dinner/bath/bed rush or do I hide my phone, leave the TV off and hope to catch an instant replay with beer in hand after 7pm? And what happens if there's no instant replay? 🤔

Last night's were on Kayo live then with access directly after they finish, does Foxtel not have a stream replay option?

Yep, be interested to see if Gaff is more attacking - more effective/penetrating disposals?
Almost forgotten what Culley was like, confuse him with West who seemed all attack but no polish?
Absolutely no injuries please? FFS..give us a break!
Good point re our scratchy results are always like wooden spooners - that's fine, as long as we get
a glimpse of good things with game plan and players.
Keen to see all the usual suspects play (old+new) as well as Long, Hunt and Burgiel...
Also hoping for a surprise performance from an unexpected player..

Last night's were on Kayo live then with access directly after they finish, does Foxtel not have a stream replay option?

Foxtel Now doesn't always get the games up immediately after. Was happening a bit with the cricket.

For instance, NM RICH finished 20 minutes ago, not yet available on demand to rewatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back