AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Chances she'll be getting a game this season?
Must be a chance. She would seem to be on the timeline where a good response sees her ready by season start, and a poor one, not until post season.

If it's somewhere in the middle, they should probably scratch the season and bring her back 100% next year.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

West Coast AFLW coach Daisy Pearce warning for young Eagles: ‘I am a ruthless competitor’​

West Coast coach Daisy Pearce has warned she is a “ruthless” competitor that will seek to get the best out of her players.
Following a decorated AFLW career and a successful pivot to commentary, Pearce signed on for her first senior coaching gig with the Eagles in December in a major coup for the club.
While the AFLW pre-season doesn’t start until June, ahead of the season proper in August, Pearce is already revealing a small glimpse of her coaching style.

“I’m a competitor, so as much as I’ll be about love and care, which I think just comes a bit naturally to me, I love my football clubs, that’s just the role they’ve played in my life,” Pearce told SEN.
“I grew up in little country town, was a bit of an odd kid, loved kicking around with the boys, my footy club was my family... I wed myself to my footy teams, and Melbourne was the same.

“I’ve been here five minutes and I can already feel it happening here. I’ll love and care for this group like they are a family.
“That’s the role footy played in my life and I’m really grateful for the impact that had on me, and now I want to offer that to our players and the staff attached to it.

“But on top of that, I’m a ruthless competitor, I like to win, I did as a player, and I wanted to find any opportunity to improve and continue to improve myself and improve my team and try and make the competition go further.”

Pearce admits her take-no-prisoners attitude might ruffle some feathers but she hopes players understand it comes from a good place.
“There will be things that players won’t like to hear probably because I’ll be pushing them to want to get better,” she said.
“But I hope that the work that I do connecting with them and being able to relate to them and building that relationship will make sure that they know that it’s coming from a place of me wanting to help them be great players.”

----------------------------------------
Hadn't seen it posted yet, it's a good read. if a little short.
the last paragraph is exciting though.

The interview with Daisy is very good

Covers a lot of ground and not just in relation to West Coast but also a broader view of AFLW and the strides in development achieved since the league started

Listening to her you also get an understanding of how important her role is in promoting and developing the game in WA will be

Daisy is very articulate and very driven

A really good signing for the club

On a non-football note I was staggered to learn that her husband is a fireman but it’s unlikely he’ll be able to work as one here due to government/union regulations across the country that make it near impossible to transfer states.

The interview with Daisy is very good

Covers a lot of ground and not just in relation to West Coast but also a broader view of AFLW and the strides in development achieved since the league started

Listening to her you also get an understanding of how important her role is in promoting and developing the game in WA will be

Daisy is very articulate and very driven

A really good signing for the club

On a non-football note I was staggered to learn that her husband is a fireman but it’s unlikely he’ll be able to work as one here due to government/union regulations across the country that make it near impossible to transfer states.

She was very impressive as you say articulate and also focused, very driven and her comprehension of women's football Country wide and just where West Coast are in the scheme of things was encouraging.

I think she will be not only be massive positive for our AFLW team but also for the Club in general.

Came away from listening to the podcast thinking that we had landed a beauty in DP and kudos to the Club for landing a big fish.

Excellent appointment and hire.

Beggars belief, doesn't it ?
Bureaucracy gone mad ........ with a touch of Unionism at its worst.

WAFLW kicks off this weekend so thought I’d have a look at which of our players are suiting up. Having said that the squad would take a greater part in the WAFLW, it looks like Elkington and Webb (both Claremont) are the only ones named. That’s disappointing.

"new West Coast coach Daisy Pearce could be handed the reins of her new side earlier than expected with the Eagles eyeing match practice before pre-season starts.
CODE Sports understands that West Coast is in discussions with the AFL and Gold Coast about playing match simulation in autumn to get a head start on the 2024 season.

It gives Pearce the best chance to upskill her young list in her new game plan ahead of round one in late August. Pre-season is due to commence in June but new 12 month AFLW contracts have creates scope for informal training during the off-season.

While the exact details of the arrangement are still being discussed, it’s believed that the two clubs are hopeful of reaching an outcome this week. If it is approved by the AFL, it will be a one-off.

Number two pick Jessica Rentsch. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Number two pick Jessica Rentsch. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Fremantle was also approached to be involved but the Dockers told CODE Sports that they don’t intend on taking part.

The Dockers and Eagles are set to send several players each back to the WAFLW, starting this weekend in round one, to bridge the long lay-off between seasons with valuable match practice.

WAFC rules designed to protect competitive balance stipulate that WAFLW clubs will only be permitted to field two players per club per game, meaning a total of four AFLW players can appear for each team.

West Coast’s first round draft picks Jessica Rentsch and Kayley Kavanagh are set to suit up for East Perth in a big coup for the WAFLW newcomers.

The Royals failed to win a game in their inaugural season last year but new coach Jenna Allomes’ side will be bolstered by the two Victorian midfielders. Docker Dana East will also debut for East Perth after initially being zoned to Swan Districts because the Royals didn’t have a senior side when she moved to Perth from Donnybrook.

Eagles recruit Verity Simmons is expected to play a handful of games for Subiaco after retiring from netball to pursue an AFLW career late last year.

Mackenzie Webb returns home. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images

Mackenzie Webb returns home. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images
At AFLW footy factory Claremont, several Tigers are set to return home to including Eagles vice-captain Bella Lewis. Mackenzie Webb, Mikayla Western and Emily Elkington. Dockers Jess Low and Maddie Scanlon are also in line for WAFLW minutes.

Fremantle’s Jae Flynn and Phil Seth will play for reigning premiers East Fremantle while Arianna Hetherington, Makaela Tuhakaraina and Tahleah Mulder return to South Fremantle. While West Perth high-performance manager and Dockers forward Megan Kauffman will suit up for the Falcons.

At this stage, Peel Thunder and Swan Districts aren’t expecting any AFLW players back due to injury and load management.

The WAFLW season is set to be officially launched on Tuesday with a function at the Camfield where the competition’s new ‘Heart, Hustle, Heroes’ marketing campaign will be unveiled. Players were critical of the WAFC last year for failing to include WAFLW players in the ‘Win, Win’ marketing campaign."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw some of the Swan Districts game from Round One -- keep an eye on Carys D'Addario, still two years away from the draft, one of the best midfield juniors I've ever seen. Clean hands in traffic like an AFLW veteran, and super strong.

So far ( first half only ) Jessica Rentsch playing for East Perth looking like a VERY good footballer.

She is as advertised: Good in the air, fast and great below her knees and a good kick, has already put her run and carry on display.
Has been handicapped in her link up play effectiveness, as many of her team mates have spilt her wonderful passes to them.

Small sample size granted, however I am very much liking what I am seeing from her.

Lots of Niamh Kelly in the way she plays.

Edit: At completion of the game close to East Perth's best with 14 disposals and 5 marks.
Going to be a harsh and hard introduction to WAFLW for her, as EP are a very poor side.

Last edited:
Was on "look after sick wife duties" this weekend ( recovery from a dental extraction ) I was on call , so I used the time to watch a decent chunk of all four WAFLW games this round, this is on top of watching some of the highlights from round 1. last week.

Was really impressed with some of the next wave of kids coming through and some are already having a significant impact, there are several very exciting prospects with all the teams.

Some of these names you will already be familiar with however some I am sure will be new to you.

Here are some player to keep an eye on 🧐 as the season progresses.

Height - Name - Age - Club.

Sixteen year Olds.

173 cm Eve Cowcher 16 Peel
180 cm Olivia Wolmarans 16 Subiaco
162 cm Mia Russo 16 West Perth
173 cm Juliet Kelly 16 Claremont
169 cm Renee Morgan 16 South Fremantle

Seventeen year Olds.

173 cm Lily Patterson 17 Swan Districts
170 cm Carys D'Addario 17 Swan Districts
167 cm Sabella Banks 17 East Perth
170 cm Natasha Entwistle 17 East Fremantle
174 cm Taya Chambers 17 East Fremantle
176 cm Molly O'Hehir 17 South Fremantle
160 cm Zipporah Fish 17 East Fremantle

Eighteen year Olds - passed over last draft but still have something to keep track of for AFLW level talent.

167 cm Eva O'Donnell 18 Claremont
176 cm Lillian Grassenis 18 West Perth
182 cm Anjelique Raison 18 Claremont

And to round out my to watch and track list is a very impressive 20 year Old.

181 cm Lillian Ninyett 20 East Perth

By no mean a complete list as I will have undoubtably missed some.

Last edited:
Was on "look after sick wife duties" this weekend ( recovery from a dental extraction ) I was on call , so I used the time to watch a decent chunk of all four WAFLW games this round, this is on top of watching some of the highlights from round 1. last week.

Was really impressed with some of the next wave of kids coming through and some are already having a significant impact, there are several very exciting prospects with all the teams.

Some of these names you will already be familiar with however some I am sure will be new to you.

Sixteen year Olds.

Seventeen year Olds.

Eighteen year Olds - passed over last draft but still have something to keep track of for AFLW level talent.

I'd add Claudia Wright at Claremont, just had her first WAFLW game since 2022, bit rusty but next level athlete and reasonably tall. Should be a fairly high pick next draft.

And Jorja Haines at Peel, only second game back after long injury layoff, is explosive out of packs, maybe a solid middle-rounds pick.

And then maybe Dakota Sexton at Peel, might be a late rounds pick, okay numbers for a defender (about 13 per game) very fast and strong.

Also, Olivia Crane isn't playing yet, must be injured -- she's Subiaco, about 180cm, two drafts away and should go first round, excellent player.

Alira Fotu had her first seniors game on the weekend for South Fremantle, 178cm, and did absolutely nothing. I don't care, she's young and rusty, I think she's amazing and will get over it.

And Alicia Blizzard is still in Rogers Cup, and has been one of WA's best every U16s game she's been in -- East Fremantle, 174cm, super fast. Coach better put her in the seniors soon or I'll get mad.

Lily Patterson's a great development, was on no one's radar really, but looks like she's put in a heap of fitness work, and just runs everyone off their feet. She was a monster on the weekend, if she keeps playing like that she'll not only get picked, but could go quite high.

Carys D'Addario didn't look anywhere near as fit, but was still equal BoG with Patterson. If she gets as fit as Patterson, she'll be untouchable.

So far ( first half only ) Jessica Rentsch playing for East Perth looking like a VERY good footballer.

She is as advertised: Good in the air, fast and great below her knees and a good kick, has already put her run and carry on display.
Has been handicapped in her link up play effectiveness, as many of her team mates have spilt her wonderful passes to them.

Small sample size granted, however I am very much liking what I am seeing from her.

Lots of Niamh Kelly in the way she plays.

Edit: At completion of the game close to East Perth's best with 14 disposals and 5 marks.
Going to be a harsh and hard introduction to WAFLW for her, as EP are a very poor side.
They got steamrolled last quarter.

A nice trait she shares with Roberts, if she is in a marking contest, and the ball hits the ground, is immediately involved in the play at ground level.

Sixteen year Olds.

Seventeen year Olds.

Ruso looked good for WP. Doesnt play like a 16 yo. Grassenis got 4 disposals and 0 kicks.

Also, Olivia Crane isn't playing yet, must be injured -- she's Subiaco, about 180cm, two drafts away and should go first round, excellent player.
Did her knee at the 18s game v All Stars. Was hard to watch.

And Jorja Haines at Peel, only second game back after long injury layoff, is explosive out of packs, maybe a solid middle-rounds pick.

Not AFLW quality. WAFLW is her ceiling for me.

Carys D'Addario didn't look anywhere near as fit, but was still equal BoG with Patterson. If she gets as fit as Patterson, she'll be untouchable.

Scary good this kid! Absolute beast

Ruso looked good for WP. Doesnt play like a 16 yo. Grassenis got 4 disposals and 0 kicks.

Russo is a gun. Had a hard time week before in the guts before being slung forward where she will do very well

Ball wasn’t back for Grassenis to do much tbh. Next fortnight will be harder for the team and she will certainly get her fair share of the ball

Did her knee at the 18s game v All Stars. Was hard to watch.

That sucks. I was looking for a report on that game, couldn't find one. Seems like a great kid too, has lots of fun but also got a veteran's head on her shoulders. Leadership material.
Not AFLW quality. WAFLW is her ceiling for me.

Could be. But she's good at stoppages, which is even more important in AFLW than AFL, because there's so damn many stoppages.

Scary good this kid! Absolute beast

I think she might move into the lead in for the 2025 draft among WA players. Ahead of even Cowcher and Wolmarans.
Russo is a gun. Had a hard time week before in the guts before being slung forward where she will do very well

Ball wasn’t back for Grassenis to do much tbh. Next fortnight will be harder for the team and she will certainly get her fair share of the ball
Three great mids in her age group, with Russo, D'Addario and Morgan. U18s midfield should be good this year, those three plus Zippy, and maybe O'Hehir on the outside (speaking of great kids, she's looking terrific, so fast and physical now).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back