AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jess Rentsch dominating out of the stoppage from 14:27. She doesn't get a lot of the ball in these games because it's a new team, their skills aren't good, and they're not always playing her on the ball like they should, but she gets flashes like this that show what she can do.

Jess Rentsch dominating out of the stoppage from 14:27. She doesn't get a lot of the ball in these games because it's a new team, their skills aren't good, and they're not always playing her on the ball like they should, but she gets flashes like this that show what she can do.

Watched that game and her ability to find the ball at stoppages and then extricate her self from the stoppage, with pace was very impressive.
Got good range on her kicks and she can take a decent mark too.

Also liked her physical manner, I am looking forward to seeing her play at the next level because her games for East Perth have be good.

As I posted earlier, she is as advertised and if she can replicate that form at AFLW then I believe we have a really good player on our hands.

Watched that game and her ability to find the ball at stoppages and then extricate her self from the stoppage, with pace was very impressive.
Got good range on her kicks and she can take a decent mark too.

Also liked her physical manner, I am looking forward to seeing her play at the next level because her games for East Perth have be good.

As I posted earlier, she is as advertised and if she can replicate that form at AFLW then I believe we have a really good player on our hands.
I liked what I saw of Kavanagh too, in the game last week. She's pretty fast but without Rentsch's explosiveness, but she's clever, level-headed and makes things happen.

I liked what I saw of Kavanagh too, in the game last week. She's pretty fast but without Rentsch's explosiveness, but she's clever, level-headed and makes things happen.

Thanks for that I haven’t seen Kavanagh yet.

Only one game, so small sample size, but I watched SD v EF on the weekend and Ava Stewart: Swan Districts a 16 year old 173 KPD.

Wow she was impressive both in the air and when the ball hits the ground, she has footy smarts in spades .

Thanks for that I haven’t seen Kavanagh yet.

Only one game, so small sample size, but I watched SD v EF on the weekend and Ava Stewart: Swan Districts a 16 year old 173 KPD.

Wow she was impressive both in the air and when the ball hits the ground, she has footy smarts in spades .
Cool, thanks for the tip. Always good to see new kids coming through.

Interview with Lily Paterson, who's having a seriously good season for Swan Districts. Apparently she's only been playing a few years, which would help explain her sudden form explosion. And she's a West Coast fan.

So AFLW ballsed up the replay again, like they did for a WA U18s game last year, and we only get the last quarter and a half of the U18 nationals vs U23 all stars. But what we can is is a ridiculously high standard, this next draft is going to be massive.

Looks like Havana Harris was best on ground, with the usual suspects all doing well - Zippy, McKay, Rasheed, Centra. Havana Harris is just a next-level player, comfortably No1 pick for me, even given how much I love Zippy.

So AFLW ballsed up the replay again, like they did for a WA U18s game last year, and we only get the last quarter and a half of the U18 nationals vs U23 all stars. But what we can is is a ridiculously high standard, this next draft is going to be massive.

Looks like Havana Harris was best on ground, with the usual suspects all doing well - Zippy, McKay, Rasheed, Centra. Havana Harris is just a next-level player, comfortably No1 pick for me, even given how much I love Zippy.

Harris has to nominate national though. Zippy is on the radar either way.

Molly looked good too, so a few top notch locals being available is always good.

If Harris becomes available, so much the better.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kavanagh only had 1 touch, hopefully not injured.
Came off with what looked to be a knee injury in 1st qtr, 11.10 left to play.

I am thinking (and hopeful) after looking at the vision, it is just a hard knee knock and givens she's WCE - dragged her immediately.

1712990045973.png

1712990099839.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zippy Fish vs West Perth, 39 disposals and a goal, absolutely dominated the match, set up half the forward thrusts from half-back, distributed the ball like a point guard. 18 years old and already comfortably the best player in the WAFLW.

Zippy Fish vs West Perth, 39 disposals and a goal, absolutely dominated the match, set up half the forward thrusts from half-back, distributed the ball like a point guard. 18 years old and already comfortably the best player in the WAFLW.

I’m not fully across the AFLW, more an interested observer but I really hope we can get Zippy to the club

Coolest name in football and I think she could have a similar impact to our women’s team as Harley is having to our men’s team

I’m not fully across the AFLW, more an interested observer but I really hope we can get Zippy to the club

Coolest name in football and I think she could have a similar impact to our women’s team as Harley is having to our men’s team
We've got a chance, because despite improving our list a lot, it's going to be a struggle to get off the bottom of the ladder next year. Next year's draft is crazy strong, other teams might all rank Havana Harris, Ash Centra and India Rasheed more highly (they're taller, arguably more versatile) so one of the top four or even top five picks (Sophie McKay also very highly rated) might be enough for us to land Zippy.

We've got a chance, because despite improving our list a lot, it's going to be a struggle to get off the bottom of the ladder next year. Next year's draft is crazy strong, other teams might all rank Havana Harris, Ash Centra and India Rasheed more highly (they're taller, arguably more versatile) so one of the top four or even top five picks (Sophie McKay also very highly rated) might be enough for us to land Zippy.

Won’t it also depend of which category the girls nominate for, that being the open draft or state based nominations.
As you would assume Harris nominates for the QLD clubs and not National.

Unless they have made changes to what the nomination categories were last year.

Won’t it also depend of which category the girls nominate for, that being the open draft or state based nominations.
As you would assume Harris nominates for the QLD clubs and not National.

Unless they have made changes to what the nomination categories were last year.
I think it can only work if the AFLW makes the national draft compulsory. Maybe there'll be a few exemptions for dual-athletes like Georgie Cleaver, but you can't get one team having a huge boost because a particular star player decides to stay local. I mean, if the Eagles and Dockers by some miracle finished tenth or above next year, and Zippy decided to stay in WA, other lower-ranked Eastern teams would be spewing (and rightly so).

I think it can only work if the AFLW makes the national draft compulsory. Maybe there'll be a few exemptions for dual-athletes like Georgie Cleaver, but you can't get one team having a huge boost because a particular star player decides to stay local. I mean, if the Eagles and Dockers by some miracle finished tenth or above next year, and Zippy decided to stay in WA, other lower-ranked Eastern teams would be spewing (and rightly so).
I had thought the transition to a national draft would be long slow and difficult, given its still really a part time comp.

However, the rate at which the number of players volunteering for the national draft has increased has surprised me.

So, I think the pressure on this is going to be eased by the fact that I suspect few players that dont have a fairly solid reason for staying home, will nominate state. Most in a position where they could move interstate, will nominate national I suspect.

Unfortunately including Zippy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back