Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of room to extend the outer wing with more standing by making a larger / higher grassed area or terrace.

15k should have been the absolute minimum.

The only thing that is obvious is that if I thought this was a good idea you wouldn't.

This is a gamble with no promise of success at all and sorry 15 new members doesn't really excite me or send a great positive message for the future.

I actually hope I'm wrong but this has failure written all over it.

Hey I get the cynicism. Darwin, Canberra, Cairns were cash grabs with little or no long term benefits. This gamble perhaps is less a financially motivated project and more a long term territorial/membership plan. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and have heard year after year the naysayers criticising our efforts to expand or lack of them. Do you have any ideas on growing membership ? I have no problems with folks disagreeing with almost anything in life, but quality criticism is usually married with the offer of an alternative. Please don't go ranting, this is a genuine question.

Plenty of room to extend the outer wing with more standing by making a larger / higher grassed area or terrace.

15k should have been the absolute minimum.
No point because that Southern flank in front of the old and new scoreboards is reserved for the next construction phase. I reckon that the Third phase may well even see them cut down into the new mound and build a large retaining wall and use it as a wind break eventually for the back of the future grandstand that gets constructed there.

Hey I get the cynicism. Darwin, Canberra, Cairns were cash grabs with little or no long term benefits. This gamble perhaps is less a financially motivated project and more a long term territorial/membership plan. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and have heard year after year the naysayers criticising our efforts to expand or lack of them. Do you have any ideas on growing membership ? I have no problems with folks disagreeing with almost anything in life, but quality criticism is usually married with the offer of an alternative. Please don't go ranting, this is a genuine question.

Growing membership perhaps the hardest thing to do.

Personally I'd build a new base out towards Point Cook/ Werribee area and flood that area for the next ten years. Yes I know this wouldn't be popular but with the land out there we could build a sensational facility.

Fastest growing area in Australia with immigrants and newly arrived in huge numbers. Kids everywhere a perfect area to not only visit but take ownership off.

From Footscray to Bacchus marsh we should OWN that entire area of possible.

I understand the push into Ballarat but I just think it's too close to Melbourne and therefore we are not the only option for kids to support. People travel to Melbourne every week from Ballarat to play and watch footy. A city futher away would work better imo but none out there big enough to carry the game.

Growing membership perhaps the hardest thing to do.

Personally I'd build a new base out towards Point Cook/ Werribee area and flood that area for the next ten years. Yes I know this wouldn't be popular but with the land out there we could build a sensational facility.

Fastest growing area in Australia with immigrants and newly arrived in huge numbers. Kids everywhere a perfect area to not only visit but take ownership off.

From Footscray to Bacchus marsh we should OWN that entire area of possible.

I understand the push into Ballarat but I just think it's too close to Melbourne and therefore we are not the only option for kids to support. People travel to Melbourne every week from Ballarat to play and watch footy. A city futher away would work better imo but none out there big enough to carry the game.

Thanks for the response. I tend to agree with the Marsh, (it's loaded with Westies that have moved out that way). Werribee is a bit too close to Geelong and may be seen as confrontational. Not sure AFL want to be seen as supporting a clubs move into pussy territory. If we did maybe the Avalon speedway could be converted. Lol. I used to love that place and Brooklyn Speedway.

I'm glad you admit it's a tough gig growing membership. That's why I support the Ballarat push. At least we are trying something that may just work LONG term. I accept you don't have confidence in the concept, but total negativity never helps a cause. I guess where in it now to our eyeballs, so as a clubman, I'm gonna stay positive, cos I really can't put up a decent argument against the move. Cheers.

A real long shot here ladies and gents, but I booked my travel for the game but got told today the game is sold out. If any of you have any ideas/tips on how I can jag a ticket to the round 22 game I would be most appreciative !!! (Of course happy to pay)

Good luck tomo night too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A real long shot here ladies and gents, but I booked my travel for the game but got told today the game is sold out. If any of you have any ideas/tips on how I can jag a ticket to the round 22 game I would be most appreciative !!! (Of course happy to pay)

Good luck tomo night too

There are still accomodation packages available with tickets to game I believe. Not sure if that's any good to you. Link should be on Dogs website.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are still accomodation packages available with tickets to game I believe. Not sure if that's any good to you. Link should be on Dogs website.

Thanks mate. Trying to jag tickets only as accom all sorted but I may have no choice !!! Appreciate it nonetheless

Went to the ground today after lunch. Was allowed to walk on the mounds - no problems and just about anywhere except obviously in the new stand. Workers were laying asphalt under the new stand while cleaning crews were in the main stand pressure washing down the concrete and seats. Other workers were around the ground restoring perimeter fencing that had been removed during construction. There were guys up in the old coaches box which has been converted into the scoreboard and public address system control centre. They were testing everything, there were different messages and graphic animations being played up on the new scoreboard and the North Ballarat Rebels FC song was being belted out on the speakers. There are some sections of seating that have been opened up. I have sussed out where the worst seats would be in Winter, they would be the seats in the terrace at the eastern entrance to the Social Club because that opeing would act like a wind funnel, but also they would be the seats preferred by the cheer squads due to their proximity to the goals.

I have to say that looking at the effort that has been put into landscaping behind the main mound, it looks to me as though they may leave it or at least the front of it there fairly permanently. In time they may have to cut into the mound to build future stands.

There is nowhere in the ground where you will have a bad view, all areas are well elevated and have sufficient angle on the mounds and seating so that you won't be looking through somebody's boof head in front. What strikes you is the intimacy of the ground, it's all very tight and has a close-in feel, but there is ample room behind the seats to move about.

Today Brett Goodes was showing some people around the arena. Then later the City Mayor and a few other officals turned up with a small media throng and suddenly announced that the Ballarat Football League would play their Junior and Senior GFs at the stadium in September. To be honest, I never would have thought that the BFNL would ever part from the Eastern Oval. For Ballarat that is a huge leap forward by the local football league.

Shortly after I went to the sports club and they said that I was allowed to go out onto the seating terrace in front of the club that looks across the ground directly to the scoreboard (I was't able to take my drink out there, but that was okay). I got to walk outside and get a real feel for the view across the ground sitting in the sixth row on one of the new seats while watching the show on the scoreboard and watching the technicians in the media control room beaverishly working away. I did get photos from the main mound but the weather was so dull that they aren't that great, although the images I took looking from the social club came up a lot better.

Last edited:

Saturday July 8, 2017
Bid to build on AFL hype about city
Melanie Whelan
r1493_0_2873_2120_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ballarat's Jordan Roughead

PLANS are underway to keep Ballarat actively involved on the city’s first historic AFL game day. City of Ballarat is finalising a community carnival site nearby Mars Stadium on game day to ensure those outside will still be part of the hype and action.

Public tickets to the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide clash released this week are sold out. The last Mars Stadium seats available for the August 19 match were snapped up within three minutes on Wednesday morning. General admission passes, for standing in the outer, were declared gone by 2pm.

Western Bulldogs have advised there could be further limited ticket releases closer to the game. Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh said there was great opportunity to engage the whole community.

“Given there’s been such great support, the City’s already started working on another opportunity for people to be involved in game day,” Cr McIntosh said. “I imagine Ballarat is going to look totally like a Bulldog city. We haven't seen AFL like this before in Ballarat – it’s all new for us. While the city has hosted AFL pre-season matches, this is the first AFL premiership season match in town."

Cr McIntosh said there was already great excitement about the city and the Bulldogs winning the AFL premiership last season made for an even more exciting introduction. And, with the influx of fans, it was also great for the city’s hospitality industry.

A newly redeveloped Mars Stadium currently holds 11,000 fans, including about 5000 seats. The only guaranteed way to Mars now is via a Western Bulldogs’ Ballarat membership, exclusive to this region’s residents, or in the remaining ticket and accommodation packages via Visit Ballarat and the Bulldogs.

Fans are also encouraged to keep an eye on the Western Bulldogs website and social channels for future updates on further limited ticket releases. Port Adelaide has confirmed strong demand from its members. Port has about 500 seats allocated for its Victorian-based members.

Bulldogs’ chief executive officer Gary Kent said the club was delighted to see so much interest in the Bulldogs’ Ballarat game in Round 22, for what would be an historic occasion.

Last edited:
Some photos taken by me on Friday 7th July 2017 in and around the North Ballarat Sports Club:

20170707_141239_zpsdaplaozq.jpg

20170707_141248_zpsb3kvdx0z.jpg

The gap below between the Eastern Terrace and the Pavilion where the steps rise into is the last place in the ground around where I would want to sit. While it might be behind the goals, the open rear of the stand will act like a funnel for southerly winds:

20170707_143823_zpsbwgwkcmi.jpg

The rear of the Eastern Terrace is designed in the future to be extended rearward if needed:

20170707_143842_zpsr4vqaohv.jpg

The pedestrian walkway runs behind the players benches and links the Social Club terrace (or Northern Stand) to the pedestrian concourse under the new Western Stand:

20170707_140925_zpsjokgitjm.jpg

Below: This afternoon at the VFL Bombers vs North Ballarat Roosters game

19884423_10213942833029453_8488744851470692287_n.jpg

19875089_10213942834029478_2539872000817348076_n.jpg

19894583_10213941638719596_234532643740645893_n.jpg

19959348_1595384167162755_3302594729583036006_n.jpg

19748534_1595384147162757_2108844668809231132_n.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I was thinking, would assume Dogs cheer squad will be in the southern end, so that means Port's CS will be standing at the other end? Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Gordo has already explicitly stated publicly, and I believe I have quoted him several times on various threads on here, our preferred opponents in Ballarat long-term are both SA sides.

There is no benefit to anyone playing Freo or GCS there, and there is no plan at this stage to rotate opponents.

Playing Crows won't be ideal, as too many members of both clubs will miss out though, so will be interesting to see how he negotiates that one. Plus it gives Pyke something else to whinge about.
There is one benefit, 11,000 vacancies for Bulldogs supporters ... imagine that? GCS players running onto a ground and having perhaps 100 supporters among the crowd :D

Alternatively, you guys should consider hosting the Roos there, these days when ever more than three North supporters turn up to any event we automatically declare a quorum and conduct a Club AGM. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:
How to watch Ballarat’s AFL game if you missed tickets

Melanie Whelan
11 Jul 2017, 5 p.m.
r1197_0_5751_3903_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WELCOME: Ballarat Memorial Concert Band trumpeter Barry How and mayor Samantha McIntosh launch a football festival.
Picture: Luka Kauzlaric

The game will be beamed into a carnival-like site next to the stadium hosting the first AFL premiership season game in Ballarat. City of Ballarat announced its plans for the site on Tuesday, featuring a heated seating area, billing the free family area as the next best place to be to celebrate AFL in town.

The move comes less than a week after public ticketing to the Western Bulldogs-Port Adelaide August 19 clash at Mars Stadium was sold out. Fans at the live site can watch the action unfold and embrace the roar of the crowd with interactive footy inflatables, food trucks and a bar showcasing local brewers and wineries.

Sports presenter Tom Chadwick will host the live site with Port Adelaide premiership defender Darryl Wakelin as special guest.

Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh said football fever was building across the city and it was important that fun, football-themed events were accessible to all. "We’re making sure there’s that there is a lot for everyone to get involved”, Cr McIntosh said. “There will be plenty of opportunity for the whole of Ballarat to enjoy, and there’s a lot that’s free as well.”

Ballarat Memorial Concert Band will welcome commuters off the train at the station, performing football anthems and Western Bulldogs’ Sons of the West, to warm everyone up for the game.

Band musical director Wade Carman said this was another great chance to expose the band to a new challenge and get involved in the community.

“Every time you go to the football in Melbourne there is the band,” Mr Carman said. “It really gets the crowd going before they get to the game. It will be a big learning experience, but we’re looking forward to being involved.”

In a Celebration of Footy, the City’s AFL events program in the lead-up to game day also features: a community open day for everyone to inspect new facilities at Mars Stadium; The Bull-Doggie-Do is an outing for pet bulldogs, and fellow doggie friends; and a sports night hosted by Craig Hutchinson with a star panel.

It all seemed good until they mentioned Craig Hutchinson :(:(:(

Last edited:
I am all for the Ballarat concept, What i dont agree with is, as a loyal member to this football club with a reserved seat at home games, then to have home games sold off effectively forfeiting a home game seat to be offered to purchase entry or pay overs for a seat aswell is IMHO not good enough, that is why i refused to go to this game. I may even consider cancelling my reserved seat as of next year also because money isnt easy to come by and i dont need the added cost to my membership.
It not just Ballarat, its all home games sold off. I understand the financial incentive for the club, but lets not forget the little people in the process.

I am all for the Ballarat concept, What i dont agree with is, as a loyal member to this football club with a reserved seat at home games, then to have home games sold off effectively forfeiting a home game seat to be offered to purchase entry or pay overs for a seat aswell is IMHO not good enough, that is why i refused to go to this game. I may even consider cancelling my reserved seat as of next year also because money isnt easy to come by and i dont need the added cost to my membership.
It not just Ballarat, its all home games sold off. I understand the financial incentive for the club, but lets not forget the little people in the process.
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm certainly not having a go at you. As a North supporter we get the same deal, but games hosted in Hobart aren't considered as 'sold off', they still remain classified as home games for us as Blundstone Arena is very much our home ground. Ballarat is in a similar category for the Bulldogs. For North it isn't an issue these days to our supporters (all 60 of us) as we have been doing this for three decades since Arden Street closed, so we are old hands at this. That said, the whole Ballarat thing is new territory for the Bulldogs and its supporters and the club do seem to be doing things a little differently (partly because of the constraints of only hosting one game in Ballarat this season and also because of the limitations of the capacity of the ground). When you buy your membership next year, you will likely have a number of different options which include 'Melbourne only' games, 'Melbourne and Ballarat' (given that two games will be played there next season), and of course 'home and away' packages.

So don't despair too much, consider that over time the novelty factor will subside (to some degree) in Ballarat which will make it easier to get access to games there, and the ground at Ballarat will also eventually be expanded to accommodate larger crowds.

Remember that these games are still "home games" for the Bulldogs and their supporters and it is not as if they are being horse-traded to play in Sydney, the Gold Coast, Darwin or Cairns. Now North have truly 'sold-off' home games in the past whereby they played what should have been home games instead against Freemantle and West Coast at Subiaco, and Gold Coast in Queensland in the interests of paying down their club debts. That's when us Roos supporters truly had something to be upset about.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back