Western Bulldogs want in on possible future Good Friday AFL game

Remove this Banner Ad

Before we get carried away, the article doesn't actually say that we're the frontrunners - just that we're working on a compelling proposal with the saints and that north are no certainty.
Agreed - I don't think we are taking it to the bank, just speculating on what the Commission might be thinking and why.

We deserve a marquee game. We should expect to be playing on Good Friday.
Or at least a fair go, if equalisation is to be taken seriously.

If equalisation is to be achieved by awarding a marquee game it needs to be in the next year or two while we are still on the rise and exciting to watch. Good luck trying to lock in a marquee game if/when we are wallowing in the bottom four.

I'm all for a marquee game & exposure, but how would a home game on Good Friday change the worthless deal we have playing at Etihad? Is a marquee game at Etihad independent of the deal we fall under? Or is it about the greater exposure resulting in more sponsorship opportunity?

I'm all for a marquee game & exposure, but how would a home game on Good Friday change the worthless deal we have playing at Etihad? Is a marquee game at Etihad independent of the deal we fall under? Or is it about the greater exposure resulting in more sponsorship opportunity?
I think that one of the benefits that the "big clubs" get is the marquee games, which exacerbate the already unequal nature of the competition because it drives their brand exposure on prime time and their gate revenues to start with. I'd hope that the Good Friday game would be played at the G.

Would be a brilliant get for the club. See for me a marquee game has to have 3 things.

1 = As a friday night game it would be on TV and be the only game, so would have total focus
2 = AFL will be plugging the game like no tomorrow
3 = Dogs and Saints have an actual rivalry, it isn't ochestrated or contrived. And i haven't heard it yet, but having a team called "The Saints" works pretty bloody well for a good friday game, don't you think? I bet the marketing gurus at AFL house were on top of that one in a heart beat. We might end up being the bad guys in the clash.
4 = Whenever negotiating contracts regarding sponsorship, any sponser would be made well aware of the lucritive good friday game where they will be shown and advertised massively.
5 = Unlike many things, the success of the game itself will be in the hands of the clubs, not outside forces. If we play a hard bitter contest every time, it will quickly become a must watch game even for non supporters of either club, it will perhaps attract the attention and maybe even gain the emotional attachment of new footy watchers or kids still deciding for themselves who they will support.
6 = It makes absolutely sure we will never again have a year where we get ZERO, friday night games. (minor point yes, but still income effecting point)

if North got the good friday game then they'd have to play without their captain since he said he would never under any circumstances play football on good friday.

if North got the good friday game then they'd have to play without their captain since he said he would never under any circumstances play football on good friday.
That's funny. Eddie said on triple m this morning that it's not even a public holiday in Rome.

Would be a brilliant get for the club. See for me a marquee game has to have 3 things.

1 = As a friday night game it would be on TV and be the only game, so would have total focus
2 = AFL will be plugging the game like no tomorrow
3 = Dogs and Saints have an actual rivalry, it isn't ochestrated or contrived. And i haven't heard it yet, but having a team called "The Saints" works pretty bloody well for a good friday game, don't you think? I bet the marketing gurus at AFL house were on top of that one in a heart beat. We might end up being the bad guys in the clash.
4 = Whenever negotiating contracts regarding sponsorship, any sponser would be made well aware of the lucritive good friday game where they will be shown and advertised massively.
5 = Unlike many things, the success of the game itself will be in the hands of the clubs, not outside forces. If we play a hard bitter contest every time, it will quickly become a must watch game even for non supporters of either club, it will perhaps attract the attention and maybe even gain the emotional attachment of new footy watchers or kids still deciding for themselves who they will support.
6 = It makes absolutely sure we will never again have a year where we get ZERO, friday night games. (minor point yes, but still income effecting point)
I was thinking about this and then saw your post. You've saved me a lot of time:thumbsu::p
p.s. The current head honcho is a Saints supporter
pps The saints also appear to be on an upward trajectory so the opportunity for two teams to rise together on this stage is there moreso than with North I'd have thought. Carlton have a bit of the dead cat bounce about them.

would love to see this. Doesnt bother me that i wont be able to go to the game because seeing family etc. becuase i live in South Australia anyways

I don't know if a Norf vs WB Good Friday game was still on the table but Saturday's poor crowd (30k) must surely put doubt into the AFL's thinking. Didn't help either club's chances really when it was such an important game for two top 8 sides.

I read one post that hinted there were very few Norf supporters there. Was that really the case?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if a Norf vs WB Good Friday game was still on the table but Saturday's poor crowd (30k) must surely put doubt into the AFL's thinking. Didn't help either club's chances really when it was such an important game for two top 8 sides.

I read one post that hinted there were very few Norf supporters there. Was that really the case?
Don't think there was a huge amount of Norf supporters but even still massively disappointing effort on our end. Should be making an extra effort to support the club in these circumstances rather than not go because you don't rate the team selected ffs

There were barely any North supporters there. They musnt go to away games because we for sure turned out in numbers to their home game earlier in the year when we got 48,000

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Western Bulldogs likely to feature in Good Friday game after AFL Commission approves the push

THE Western Bulldogs have roared into favouritism as a Good Friday participant after their epic Grand Final charge.

The league will play Good Friday football for the first time next year in a twilight spot after receiving AFL Commission approval.

North Melbourne is also in a strong position to win a Good Friday berth after lobbying for the slot for decades.

The AFL said on Wednesday it had not ruled out rotating the two teams involved every year, with the fixture out in late October.

But with the Dogs suddenly everyone’s favourite side and having made a strong submission their claims would be hard to overlook.

Dogs chief executive Gary Kent said on Wednesday the club had put in what it believed was a “compelling” submission.

“We thought it was a terrific joint proposal with St Kilda about what we would do with the Royal Children’s Hospital,” he said.

“It would also connect with the local football community in terms of fundraising but also making it a real community day.

“We thought it was compelling from that perspective. This is not a cash grab, this is more consistent with what Good Friday is all about.

“If you look at our ratings in the last four weeks of the year they were excellent and we are very exciting to watch and getting a lot of eyeballs watching our games.”

Carlton has told the Herald Sun it is still lobbying hard to be included, with St Kilda putting in their joint submission along with the Bulldogs.

The Dogs, which played three Friday night games this year, all of a sudden have the power to demand marquee fixturing slots.

A twilight game in Melbourne seems the most likely, with the contest integrated into Channel Seven’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.

The view within the AFL is that North Melbourne has been so persistent in its lobbying it would be incredibly unlucky to miss out.

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld told the Herald Sun the league had a difficult decision given the clamouring to play in the historic game.

“Basically we know now we have the support of the Commission if we decide we want to go ahead with it. Now it’s about getting the right mix of teams and the balance of the fixture,’’ he said.

“There is plenty of interest in it so we have still got to determine which market to play it in, but we are not short of interest from teams playing in that slot.

“We have to take into account other requests clubs might have, where the game will be played and what venue.

“We have to take into account the level of interest of clubs and the relevance to the day and the length of time the club has been interested in it.”

Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman this year also pushed for the Crows to be given a slice of Good Friday football, with a rotating schedule possible.

“What is possible is you rotate which teams play on Good Friday if you continue it on,’’ Auld said.

“It is something that could be flexible. We don’t know if that is something we will do. If we decide we do it in Victoria we need to complement the appeal. It is an iconic part of the day and it’s very important to our partners.”

Game against the Saints would be great. Norf are so bitter they are at the self-parody stage now. They would go off like Basil Fawlty.

or someone could go a hitler parody "James Brayshaw finds out the Bulldogs got Good Friday"...

Definitely

I really won't care if Norf miss out

They clearly suck at marketing and a bottomed out Carlton will not help them at all for this fixture, especially when Norf are likely to bottom out themselves. Expanding interstate is what Norf have pioneered successfully over time, they failed with Ballarat also yet we got it up and running too.

I would support a joint venture with St Kilda and Adelaide at the moment, helps we are rivals with both clubs also so those games should be entertaining and they are both on the up or are fairly solid at the moment

Definitely

I really won't care if Norf miss out

They clearly suck at marketing and a bottomed out Carlton will not help them at all for this fixture, especially when Norf are likely to bottom out themselves. Expanding interstate is what Norf have pioneered successfully over time, they failed with Ballarat also yet we got it up and running too.

I would support a joint venture with St Kilda and Adelaide at the moment, helps we are rivals with both clubs also so those games should be entertaining and they are both on the up or are fairly solid at the moment
Apparently North Melbourne and Carlton see their proximity to the Children's Hospital as a key reason why their clubs should be playing on Good Friday.

Nevermind that Carlton have been getting a leg up from the AFL in terms of fixturing for decades, hell - let's give them some more marquee games.

Stupid and stubborn approach from North may now see them fail entirely in their bid.

You want to make a case... win a premiership, everyone elses case turns to confetti that easton wood made angels in.

Apparently North Melbourne and Carlton see their proximity to the Children's Hospital as a key reason why their clubs should be playing on Good Friday.

Nevermind that Carlton have been getting a leg up from the AFL in terms of fixturing for decades, hell - let's give them some more marquee games.

Stupid and stubborn approach from North may now see them fail entirely in their bid.
Course they do, yet how far are we from it also? 3.5km?

It's just as much in our community or Essendon's as it is theirs

Norf and Carlton are two of the least desirable sides at the moment, give it to us and the Saints for a few years and whenever 1 of us slide down and they rise then they can have it for a period

Course they do, yet how far are we from it also? 3.5km?

It's just as much in our community or Essendon's as it is theirs

Norf and Carlton are two of the least desirable sides at the moment, give it to us and the Saints for a few years and whenever 1 of us slide down and they rise then they can have it for a period
I fail to see why Good Friday should be considered on a rotation basis but Anzac Day and Queens Birthday and Easter Monday etc. get to stay permanently with certain clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back