Women's Footy Western Bulldogs Women's Team 2016-17 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's memberships are now up at membership.westernbulldogs.com.au

Games are going to be free entry but there's still some good membership options for everybody.

For those with daughters (and sons for that matter) there's also a junior option that might be a good Christmas present!

Just to let everyone know, tomorrow there will be an open training session at Eureka Stadium in Ballarat at 2pm where players will also be signing autographs.

Also wishing you guys the best, especially to my former highschool classmates Ellie Blackburn & Kirsten McLeod.

I'm hearing the possibility of a double header with a Women's game and a pre-season game (maybe against the same team?) at VUWO. Would be fantastic if true.

I'm hearing the possibility of a double header with a Women's game and a pre-season game (maybe against the same team?) at VUWO. Would be fantastic if true.
and i reckon a few night matches for the women's games as well

and i reckon a few night matches for the women's games as well
But that probably goes without saying. I can't imagine too many games going on in 30+ degree heat, in particular in Perth or Brisbane.

Went to training last night to see how they are tracking along.
You can def tell the difference in talent in terms of kicking and moving through traffic but overall was a great session to watch.
Brooke Lochland reminds of me caleb daniel, just goes through traffic and can break tackles.

Aasta O'Connor is looking good after coming off an acl injury and is a great kick of the footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP updated with new info and player profiles. Plus this post serves to bump this thread seeing as our first game is only 24 days away.

Also, this Saturday at 5pm (might be latter due to time zone differences, so check if they mean 5.30 or 6.30 or whatever), Freo and Adelaide are playing a praccy game in Darwin. Streaming on the Adelaide website. They're our first 2 opponents so well worth a look to see who we're up against.

Practice match against Pies on Aus Day
time and venue to be announced soon
Way ahead of you VD ;). Check two posts above and the new OP!

C13i1wQUoAAGowU.jpg:large

Will be interesting to compare. Everyone is going on about Freo being heavy favs to win the whole thing, they looked good but nothing spectacular. If crows took their chances then it could have been game on.

Will be interesting to compare. Everyone is going on about Freo being heavy favs to win the whole thing, they looked good but nothing spectacular. If crows took their chances then it could have been game on.
Freo had 5 certain starters out. Crows had possibly their 2 best players missing as well. Freo also only had a bench of 4 in Darwin heat (with only 16 on the field), so I think they will both be better by round 1.

Ex-netballer is Bulldogs' 'surprise packet'

A former netballer with just 11 games of football experience is shaping as the "surprise packet" of the Western Bulldogs' women's team, coach Paul Groves says.

Libby Birch, 18, is doing everything right in her quest to earn a berth in the Bulldogs' first NAB AFL Women's clash against competition favourite Fremantle at Whitten Oval on February 4.

"Libby's just taken to the training side of things like a duck to water," Groves said.

"It's the game-sense stuff that we're working with her on, but she's getting better and better and she could be a real surprise packet for our team."

Birch, signed as a rookie, only took up football last June after representing Victoria in netball at under-17, under-19 and under-21 levels.

She initially knocked back a request from Daisy Pearce to attend a talent search earlier in the year.

Pearce, last week named Melbourne captain, was working at the AFL at the time and helped run several female talent search sessions.

But after not being selected for the Australian Netball World Youth Cup squad, Birch got back in contact with Pearce and decided to train with her Darebin Falcons.

Birch, who attended Maribyrnong Sports Academy, impressed primarily off half-back for the Falcons, but Groves said her overall athletic profile meant she could play in any position.

Birch has also played high-level hockey.

"The weights room's not foreign to her and she understands the demands of the sport," Groves said.

"She's been educated really strongly about what's going to make her a good athlete, which puts her ahead of the curve."

Groves said the early stages of the club's AFLW pre-season program had been designed to fast-track relationships and get players acquainted with one another quickly.

The squad took part in a weekend training camp in Ballarat in late November to help in that pursuit.

"The camp opened a lot of eyes in terms of the values we're going to hold," Groves said.

"We've got a little teams competition, which we really pushed in Ballarat, that we're running at the moment, and we're really trying to let the girls' competitive spirit shine out."

Groves has a strong rapport with AFL premiership coach Luke Beveridge. The 34-year-old played under Beveridge at Victorian amateur club St Bedes/Mentone and has made the most of that connection in applying some of Beveridge's principles to the women's program.

The club's assistant coaches and players have also been big supporters of the women's team, according to Groves.

The two squads held a joint training session in sweltering conditions at Whitten Oval on Tuesday afternoon.

"We had Jake Stringer roll up to training the other night with his little daughter (Milla) because she was keen to get down to have a kick," Groves said.

"It's great to see guys really supporting the girls and that will increase once the competition is up and running."

Groves is confident his side has the capacity to take home the inaugural title.

"We think we've got great depth and we think our top eight to 10 players are among the best - if not the best – in the competition," he said.

"But we'll soon find out, won't we?"

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-01-18/exnetballer-is-bulldogs-surprise-packet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back