What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

I've posted this previously elsewhere, but it is ANZAC day so here goes.

This is one of the most fascinating of tales you will ever hear by Peter Cundall from the ABC's Gardening Australia show. It describes how he came to Australia and his part in the Korean War. Everybody should listen to this story. It is 25 min long. Click on the link below to hear his story.
If you don't know who Peter Cundall is, you will after you hear his voice.

https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/local/hobart/201304/r1103603_13336943.mp3

Valerie June - The Moon And Stars Prescriptions For Dreamers. A wonderful album and what a voice. She can really belt it out if she wants to.

Last edited:
This is Plini, he's an Australian guitarist. I just bought two of his albums. Impulse Voices and Handmade Citiies.
I'd never heard of him till I heard him on Youtube.
Steve Vai is a big fan and said, "When I saw Plini play, I felt; that the future of exceptional guitar playing was secure."
He reminds me of Jeff Beck back in the 70's. Great range of music on the albums
from Jazz Fusion

to Heavy Metal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught two relatively new songs/videos this week and love both of them.
Surely Wolfgang, son of Eddie Van Halen, did not play every instrument for real, or is he a freak talent like Prince and can play every instrument?

This popped up on my youtube yesterday and loved it after the first listen.

Last edited:
Caught a podcast a few weeks ago with Richard Langston - the fellow who documented a lot of the NZ bands on the Flying Nun label in his fanzine called Garage. (some issues of Garage made it to music stores in Perth in the 1980s).

One band mentioned that I knew of only through their first EP was Snapper ( Snapper EP recorded in 1988). Got it from a 2nd hand bin and didn't really give it too much attention, but sounds pretty good now in the context of that kind of Suicide meets the Velvet Underground late 80's pulsing feedback rock that was also a bit of a blueprint for bands like Jesus and Mary Chain and Spacemen 3.

Langston mentions that he thinks the sound is similar to Californian psych group Wooden Shjips - but recorded about 30 years prior. There's the lineage of NZ bands that are likely an influence including the ones that founding member Peter Gutteridge had previously been in - The Clean/The Great Unwashed, The Chills. Maybe a bit of German 70's influence on the track below too - "Dry Spot" (keyboard riff makes me think of a song from that album by Harmonia - the one with the dishwashing liquid bottle on the cover).

I hadn't previous checked out their other stuff, so discovering they had other records is a nice missing piece find. These are a couple of tracks from their 1990 release "Shotgun Blossom"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back