Opinion What could Port do better to engage supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

People will accept ugly footy if it's successful. People will accept unsuccessful footy if you're a developing side and playing above expectaction. People won't accept footy which is ugly, unsuccessful and below expectation.
That's the crux of it.

I post this in every thread but nobody has forgotten how to kick. Players miss targets because they don't have a reliable system for moving the ball.

I really feel for Ben and the rest of the marketing team. You absolutely cannot sell the s**t sandwich that is Port Adelaide football at the moment.

I have wonderful seats that I'd never give up, and even if I felt like I wanted to drop my membership, i'd never go through with it because i'm a die hard. But i'd wager that everyone on this board knows someone who won't be continuing their membership next year. People will accept ugly footy if it's successful. People will accept unsuccessful footy if you're a developing side and playing above expectaction. People won't accept footy which is ugly, unsuccessful and below expectation.
We won the Saints game but I was furious. I cant accept our game plan, it was like watching the mini league but worse.

We should hire Cocaine Cassie as a receptionist, apparently she's extremely sought after in that role.
FIFO receptionists, who'da thunk it.

I'd be worried she'd forget her password and wouldn't be able to login to the phone system. :rolleyes:

We are Port Adelaide. **** the rest.

Apply this to all levels of communication, adminiatration, coaching and playing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agree. The club needs to stop acting like a bunch of losers. Its embarassing. Stop letting the media treat you like s**t. Stop letting the umpires treat you like s**t. Stop complaining like a bunch of wimps when you are criticised by your president. He is one of ours and is entitled to criticise but the rest can go to hell. Start implementing a game plan that doesn't stifle creativity. Stop emphasising community and start emphasising winning a premiership. We are a footy club not a charity organisation.

Last edited:
We should hire Cocaine Cassie as a receptionist, apparently she's extremely sought after in that role.

She can't remember passwords though. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 11 and 12 there was never even a thought of not maintaining membership - the Club really was doing the best with what it had, and there was acute focus on improvement.

This year has weakened my resolve on many fronts, but primarily because improvement doesn't seem to be a priority. We've gone backwards compared to the other teams close to us in 2014, but that's ok, because the only goal was to make up the numbers in the finals.

I understand the need in modern professional sport to be community-minded, manage the numbers and plan for the long term. But please can we have a goal-kicker too.

Oh, and I do love the no-dickhead policy. When my grandchildren pick their favourite players, regardless of who it is I know I can happily put their number on the children's Guernseys. It is easy to look up to our players. Although it would seem this needs re-assessment for receptionists ;)

We got the Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogs chant

We will eventually get the Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarshall holler

I reckon we can add the Rocky chant when he lines up for his first goal. Don't snap it Tom, take a mark, take your time and let 40,000+ Port fans chant like this (couldn't find the chanting from the movie).

This is just a small bugbear but you know that bloke who walks around the oval shouting into his microphone? Well recently he has taken to shouting for people to stand up and get ready for NTUA. The crowd has never had to be told when NTUA was coming, those first bass notes ring out and everybody is up out of their seats. So mr. microphone man, please stop pretending you control the crowd, and stick to the advertisements and amusements.

This is just a small bugbear but you know that bloke who walks around the oval shouting into his microphone? Well recently he has taken to shouting for people to stand up and get ready for NTUA. The crowd has never had to be told when NTUA was coming, those first bass notes ring out and everybody is up out of their seats. So mr. microphone man, please stop pretending you control the crowd, and stick to the advertisements and amusements.
Apparently has been addressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back