What the heck? What does an integrity unit do?

Remove this Banner Ad

They just seem like BS business speak. What does an integrity unit do when there aren’t scandals?

Just seems totally weird, surely they can’t be full time

There's an indefatigable rule that more any organisation publishes it's commitment to integrity, equal opportunity or it'scommitment to work life balance, the less well it does at delivering them.

Mostly due to the fact the said organisations use most if not all their resources on making it appear they are doing something and find themselves short on actually having something meaningful and working in place.

Usually poorly run organisations such as the AFL fall into this trap. The AFL is just a massive boys club that uses hobby horse political issues in knee jerk fashions to make it APPEAR they are something which they are not.

People always rebut and say but the AFL is so successful, whoever says that needs to understand how supply/demand and a monopoly works, thats why they're successful.

Last edited:
No disillusion away
I'm not ignoring you I've been trying to locate a paper from an organizational psychologist that explains it more clearly than anything I've seen, but I cant.. It's complex

Organisations are less coherent than most people think. They're a complex mix of personal interest and usually surprisingly little focus on the organizations goals. I'll try to explain by example.

Many years ago I worked for a public sector organisation of around 70 people. There was a permanent senior staff member called Equal Opportunity Officer with a junior assistant . To justify their existence they employed an Aboriginal trainee, then proceeded to produce fortnightly newsletters which among other things listed the number of people if Aboriginal descent given training opportunities, car space etc. Always one of course. Ironically a very capable young lady, she got frustrated with the constant pressure to do training courses, apply for promotion etc, and everyone knowing her business l. She resignedand went to work for a bank.

More recently I worked for a private organisation in a low margin administrative sector of about 2000 people. The constant pressure to perform meant not hiring or 0o promoting the best person to do the job really wasn't an option. They might get selections wrong, it happens, but favouring people for things not relevant to job performance really wasn't an option. They delivered equal opportunity very well with no staff very interested in the topic.

Caroline Wilson was saying it's largely made up of ex-coppers and I expect there's plenty to do when you've got 500+ cashed up young blokes running around.

I mean, even the coaches seem to be up to their necks in 'integrity unit' issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back