What has happened since the GF. Why? And what is Simo going to do about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
For those guys that are tech savvy, someone may want to post up the screen grab from on the coach.

Post stoppage contested possession very reflective of the ladder. We are second last.

Van Berlo (midfield coach) and Matt Rosa (stoppage coach) surely have pressure on them.

Like Van Berlo but maybe Rosa's too inexperienced?

Sharp decrease from last year.

Van Berlo (midfield coach) and Matt Rosa (stoppage coach) surely have pressure on them.

Like Van Berlo but maybe Rosa's too inexperienced?

Sharp decrease from last year.

Helicopter kicks out of the stoppage. Has Rosa's DNA all over it.

I'm feeling like we aren't that far away from finding form. We are actually doing well at getting our hands on the footy in the stoppages, we just need to generate an extra handball or little chip kick to allow us to start making better quality clearances.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Helicopter kicks out of the stoppage. Has Rosa's DNA all over it.

I'm feeling like we aren't that far away from finding form. We are actually doing well at getting our hands on the footy in the stoppages, we just need to generate an extra handball or little chip kick to allow us to start making better quality clearances.

I think they corrected the midfield in this game and why Gaff and Sheed both had more effective games this week ..

So they listened to B/f and walked away with the win ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Lecras' wrist is so stuffed he couldn't even play local footy with his brother this year. No way he could play AFL.
Well, that may be true (I was being a tad facetious), but we definitely miss him in the forward zone. It's a weapon we haven't fully replaced yet. Petrol is quite a way off yet and Ryan has some maturing to do. But we miss his leadership and work ethic-as maligned as that often was on here.
If we can get past Saints, get a bump on the ladder and some confidence, then work our way into some form.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t agree. I don’t miss Leccas no tackles a game, three or four seagulls out the back and no chasing. What I do miss is the correct balance of our forward line in having two talls and 4 medium/small players who put defensive pressure and offensive pressure on the ball. I also miss players being played on form instead of being played in the ones in the hope they will all of a sudden come good. We currently have one tall too many and not enough guys in form to warrant being selected each week. The twos are where you’re meant to find form, not the ones. Unfortunately our MC and coach don’t agree.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t agree. I don’t miss Leccas no tackles a game, three or four seagulls out the back and no chasing. What I do miss is the correct balance of our forward line in having two talls and 4 medium/small players who put defensive pressure and offensive pressure on the ball. I also miss players being played on form instead of being played in the ones in the hope they will all of a sudden come good. We currently have one tall too many and not enough guys in form to warrant being selected each week. The twos are where you’re meant to find form, not the ones. Unfortunately our MC and coach don’t agree.
I just rewatched the replay of the QF, PF and the GF from last year, and in my opinion think we definately miss both Le Cras and Lycett and of course Vardy when in form. I know that was at the pointy end of the year so you would expect players to be in form, but Le Cras just knew how to position himself to run onto it and kick a goal. Nobody in the team has taken his place to do that at this stage. Sure his tackling count wasn't high but he was valuable in other ways. If our talls are being held, who of the smaller brigade is kicking goals? Ryan is not doing much in the way of kicking goals at present and the same with Cripps and of course Rioli is still out injured.

The difference in the hunger shown by so many last year just does not appear to be there this year - too many are just stagnant and coasting although in the first half last week did see signs - but then they fell asleep in the second half! The balance of the team just seems out of whack and yes agree we are playing with one tall too many in the forward line at this stage. Not sure what the answer is - why don't the MC give Ah Chee a go? He seems to be the forgotten man.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think it’s as simple as not stupidly handing the ball back to the opposition in bad areas and dictating our own terms when we’re 40 up rather than let them. You could definitely see our guys slow down and become too casual and arrogant at around 30 points up. That was the start of it, then the momentum started to build and we couldn’t stop it. One of the main problems is still gameday coaching and not being able to adapt to tactics on the go. We still seem very vulnerable to teams pressing but in the first quarter we were very clean in the contest.. showing we do have the ability to do it. I think.. as it has been for a long time, an attitude issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
He was very good at the start of 2018, but what I miss most is the forwardline organisation and connection between LeCras and Kennedy.

That's been lost a little and you can see the impact. The slow and unsure ball movement into 50 is in part because we aren't making enough space and part because the mids/forwards aren't gelling as well. Plus we are getting bugger all entries.

30stm

All Australian
Feb 24, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Not just last night

Smashed for 3/4 against Brisbane

Smashed for 3/4 v Freo

Smashed all game v Port

Smashed all game v Geelong

Maybe we need one more belting to be absolutely certain that change is neeeded. Once identified, I'm sure the changes will only require one mid week meeting.
Pretty well sums it up.....which a worry - lost too many quarters.
Midfield not working hard enough - contested/pressure.
Forward line no cohesion-too tall - no crumbers.
Backline taking too long passing the ball across the half back.
Seems to lack confidence due to lack of preseason preparation.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We are finding out how hard it is to back up from a G.F thats all. We forget "Emotion" and what it takes for a West Aussie team to deliver the goods.
Their feeling of elation from the effort it took to win, and how much planning and work went into it is now confronting them again, and it is daunting.
They are having a hard time replicating the effort. It is a shame that Nic Nat is still a little way off because it only needs a leader to step up and show the way and the rest will respond. Lets stop throwing knifes at them and back them up until they can get their heads right.

End Game

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
He was very good at the start of 2018, but what I miss most is the forwardline organisation and connection between LeCras and Kennedy.

That's been lost a little and you can see the impact. The slow and unsure ball movement into 50 is in part because we aren't making enough space and part because the mids/forwards aren't gelling as well. Plus we are getting bugger all entries.
Am I missing something here ?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The biggest difference is we aren’t with Gov or Barrass intercepting the ball it’s that simple ..
Win possession down back ,keep possession ,spread and chip the ball around ..It all starts with the intercepted ball ..

And the oppositon are working extremely hard not to give us easy intercept possessions to rebound from.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
O Allen isn’t as good a third tall as Waterman. Waterman, last year was always running to provide options for the backs. Allen is just clogging the forward line

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. O Allen will be a gun for us, but he will need to wait a bit yet till big JK is done, or he can diversify into a bigger onballer - needs a bigger tank first though for that Fyfe type role.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
O Allen isn’t as good a third tall as Waterman. Waterman, last year was always running to provide options for the backs. Allen is just clogging the forward line

Where we were at our most blistering last year (bar finals) e.g. the first 10 games,

Was JK out
Darling FF
Waterman doing his travelling Wilbury journey across the oval

And granted, the rest of the squad in form

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Where we were at our most blistering last year (bar finals) e.g. the first 10 games,

Was JK out
Darling FF
Waterman doing his travelling Wilbury journey across the oval

And granted, the rest of the squad in form

Valid point.

However I’ve never once seen Oscar (whilst playing as a forward) near the defensive arc. Waterman got there a whole lot.

I’ve big wraps on Oscar, but right now he needs to get further up the ground. That 50 ain’t yours for 2 years. Be a marking option around the ground.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Valid point.

However I’ve never once seen Oscar (whilst playing as a forward) near the defensive arc. Waterman got there a whole lot.

I’ve big wraps on Oscar, but right now he needs to get further up the ground. That 50 ain’t yours for 2 years. Be a marking option around the ground.
Mirror my thoughts exactly

We are back to the good old days of land of the giants in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back