What if we introduced challenges in AFL matches..and motion sensors on goal posts

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Like in tennis, but just for score decisions. Say each team has 1 challenge per quarter, where if they feel a goal decision wasn't correct they can request a review. It shouldn't have to come to that, but might at least give them some more control. Not aware if any other team sport has it, but if that had been the case last night, it would have at least forced a review, it wouldn't be solely at the umps discretion. I mean a simpler solution would just be for them to do their jobs, but I'm not holding my breath. Better tech should still be implemented. For instance goal posts with frigging motion sensors. Let's say there are lights on the goalpost that light up green if it goes in clear, or red when theyre touched. Would make for a cool spectacle too.

1. Challenges are terrible. Either use the technology to get the decision right when required, or don't use it at all. We saw in the Ashes, occasions where a team would debate 'Should we, or should we not review, because we've only got 2 reviews' - decide not to, and the incorrect decision stood. I don't care about players or teams who are 'good/bad at reviews'. I want to see the correct decision.

Or - a team runs out of reviews, and the umpire makes a complete howler of a decision (Stokes LBW in 2019), and no review is available to correct it. So a game is decided by a wrong decision anyway - despite having technology.

And if you do have reviews at the end of the innings, you get stupid situations where the No 11 reviews a stone dead out 'just because we have a review left'.

If an AFL team had 1 challenge per quarter, guarantee 99% would be used in the last 2-3 minutes of the quarter 'just because we have a review left'. And certainly, they would use the review if they have a 2-point lead, and the opposition are trying to run the ball quickly out of defence in the last minute.

2. The situation we are talking about (the Adelaide point) happens 2-3 times per season. Have a guy in the box, who is thinking 'Is there a lot of crowd noise? Are there a lot of players trying to touch the ball and getting in the goal umpire's way' - all the possible issues that could lead to an umpire error. And if the guy in the box sees these 'triggers' he just pings the Field Umpire and says 'just hold on a few seconds here'.

RE goal post sensors - what happens if a player bumps the post - at the same time the ball does (or looks like it does)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back