What is Joe Daniher actually worth?

What's a fair trade value for Joe Daniher right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Its been fascinating seeing people try to ascertain Joe Daniher's worth over the past two weeks. Its an extremely tricky case to judge given his huge potential and recent injury history.

Sydney were reportedly knocked back after offering pick 9 + a future 1st rounder, with Essendon saying even pick 5 + 9 wouldn't be enough. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Peak Daniher is worth two top ten picks, however constantly injured present Daniher isn't worth anything near that. Would say that he'd be valued at a 1st and 2nd round pick just based on how little he's played the last two years.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Peak Daniher is worth two top ten picks, however constantly injured present Daniher isn't worth anything near that. Would say that he'd be valued at a 1st and 2nd round pick just based on how little he's played the last two years.

The truth of the matter is that he's only been able to put together one very good season out on the park out of 7.

You can no longer rank a 25, turning 26 year old, on high-output potential alone, when they already have a significant body of work behind them.....The last 2 being complete write-offs.

Who in their right-minds would part with 2 Top 10 picks for a bloke with his record; & likely only 5 more years left of peak footy.

Beatson absolutely did the right thing here & held his ground on what he knew Daniher to be worth .....All the rest is Bomber-fuelled media hysteria & delusion over a bloke with the Daniher name.

If Sydney were willing to offer him $1,000,000 a year then he must be worth a fair amount of trade currency?

where did you get that figure

what if essendon arent willing to offer him anything?

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Its been fascinating seeing people try to ascertain Joe Daniher's worth over the past two weeks. Its an extremely tricky case to judge given his huge potential and recent injury history.

Sydney were reportedly knocked back after offering pick 9 + a future 1st rounder, with Essendon saying even pick 5 + 9 wouldn't be enough. What do you think?
I'm in the two first rounders camp. As a restricted free agent, I am pretty sure he'd be in the top 5% of players and would be eligible for first round compensation - so a first round pick is a definite starting point. For me, Pick 9 and a future 1st rounder is a fair offer, and Pick 5 + Pick 9 would definitely get it done.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I'm in the two first rounders camp. As a restricted free agent, I am pretty sure he'd be in the top 5% of players and would be eligible for first round compensation - so a first round pick is a definite starting point. For me, Pick 9 and a future 1st rounder is a fair offer, and Pick 5 + Pick 9 would definitely get it done.

In what universe is Joe Daniher in the Top 5% of players?.....You seem to have been submerged by all the media hype.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In what universe is Joe Daniher in the Top 5% of players?.....You seem to have been submerged by all the media hype.
I am talking about the AFL's formula for free agency compensation. It's based on a points system (the younger the player and the higher they're paid, the more points they're worth - if you're in the top 5% of points, that player is worth a first round compensation pick). Joe Daniher would certainly be worth 10 points due to his age next trade / free agency period, and I am sure he would be one of the highest paid players on Essendon's list (he will be a restricted free agent, so that's probably proof enough of that).

ref: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...free-agency-compensation-20180221-p4z16j.html

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Lets say a peak Daniher is worth 2 top 10 picks

1. Injury troubles reduce 1 of the top 10 picks to a late first round pick
2. Him saying he wants out reduces that pick to a 2nd round pick

Therefore 1 top 10 pick+1 2nd round pick

Lets say a peak Daniher is worth 2 top 10 picks

1. Injury troubles reduce 1 of the top 10 picks to a late first round pick
2. Him saying he wants out reduces that pick to a 2nd round pick

Therefore 1 top 10 pick+1 2nd round pick
The funniest thing is peak Daniher might very well have been a one season wonder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah I cant believe they didn't accept pick 5 or whatever it was

5 was never on the table. Think the highest offer was 9 plus a future first (with the caveat of next years draft being heavily compromised)

I personally was in the take it camp then shift Hooker forward. I can understand the rationale behind keeping him though outside of Daniher Essendon lacks top end talent.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺

Even a solitary 1st round pick is starting to look extremely generous. Dodoro may have finally been caught out for being too smart for his own good by knocking back Sydney's offer.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Daniher can’t get on the park because of his persistent groin issues then he isn’t even worth a first round pick, IMO

Big gamble by the Swans if they were to give over a 1st round pick (plus) for a 26 turning 27yo bloke who hasn’t played a good game in 3 years

His strength as a big 201cm ruck/forward was his agility. Not quite at Buddy Franklin levels, but up in the same ball park. Will he have that same agility when he returns? You’d wanna see some evidence before making any big commitments

If he comes back and shows he is 100% and plays like he did in 2017, then he’ll be worth the $1 milllion a year as a free agent

Last edited:
Back